Water Bottles In School? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 06-04-2010, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are your kids allowed to have them at their desks at school?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 29 Old 06-04-2010, 03:12 PM

Yes, in my son's class, all the children had water bottles at their desks.
#3 of 29 Old 06-04-2010, 03:24 PM

They're required to!
#4 of 29 Old 06-04-2010, 03:30 PM

Our schools suggest water fountains are adequate, but my dd has a medical need for extra fluids and before I even asked the school I got a doctor's note stating she was to have unlimited access to water.

I know early on in the year before we did this she would say that they lost water breaks for this or that or that too many kids were getting up to use the bathroom, etc. etc.

mom of  dust.gif, ROTFLMAO.gif, and jog.gif
#5 of 29 Old 06-04-2010, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yes, mine take water bottles to school every day and they are allowed access to them at all times. There is also a "make sure your child has a water bottle every day" reminder in their school newsletter every week.

: Robyn : Increasingly crunchy Mama to Kya (8) , Makena (7) , and Keegan (4) :
#6 of 29 Old 06-04-2010, 03:57 PM

There was just a post on Free Range Kids today about this! http://freerangekids.wordpress.com/2...e-school-desk/

Mother of two. : 4/05 and 1/07 Wife of one. : 7/01
#7 of 29 Old 06-04-2010, 04:28 PM

Yes, dd takes her water bottle every day.
#8 of 29 Old 06-04-2010, 04:48 PM

Yes, required. Most kids have refillable bottles on their desks. they also have frequent fountain breaks.
#9 of 29 Old 06-04-2010, 10:46 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm not sure about DD's middle school. She takes a bottle to school, but I'm not sure if she leaves it in her locker during the day. They are on a part-rotary schedule, so it may be her choice not to carry it from class to class during the day. I know the rotary contributes to a fair amount of lost belongings from absent-minded kids, so I wouldn't be surprised to find out that kids were asked to keep bottles in their lockers.

I know she was allowed a bottle at her desk at her primary school, but she spent almost all day in the same class except for gym, music, drama, and library classes.
#10 of 29 Old 06-04-2010, 11:36 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
All children in DD1's school are required to keep a water bottle in the classroom. They refill it as need be and then I take it home on the weekends to clean it. There is a rack in the front of the classroom for all the water bottles, half seem to be on there at any time and the other half on desks.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#11 of 29 Old 06-05-2010, 12:14 AM

Some classes have allowed it, some haven't
#12 of 29 Old 06-05-2010, 12:32 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
My kids' school doesnt have desks, but yes they are allowed access to water whenever they need it and they do take water bottles. Some other kids in their school just get water from the water fountain.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#13 of 29 Old 06-05-2010, 01:02 PM

Both of my kids' HSs allow water bottles. MY daughter's also allows food, tea, coffee, other beverages in class.
#14 of 29 Old 06-05-2010, 03:42 PM

When mine tried public school, they were allowed (with enough pressure it felt required lol) to keep water bottles and snacks at their desk. There was a "designated snack time," but if a child was absolutely famished before snack time, they were allowed to eat it at their desk (teachers just asked that they have something quiet for those times, like maybe some grapes or apple slices instead of some loud bag of crunching potato chips).

When I first heard about it, I assumed the teachers must have lots of problems and interruptions, but the teachers said that since it wasn't something "taboo" or "special," it didn't seem to cause any problems.
#15 of 29 Old 06-05-2010, 05:53 PM

yes.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#16 of 29 Old 06-05-2010, 05:57 PM

Yes, all the kids do. There isn't a drinking fountain in their classroom, so they brought their bottle and refilled when needed. They also bring a snack, and can eat it whenever they are hungry.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#17 of 29 Old 06-05-2010, 06:20 PM

Absolutely!

Jenn
#18 of 29 Old 06-05-2010, 08:11 PM

I have a water fountain in my classroom, I also teach students who have demonstrated a likelihood to throw things when they are angry or frustrated so I ask them not to keep water bottles on thier desks. I do ask them to ask to leave their desk to get a drink so we know why they are getting up and the answer is always yes no matter how often a particular student is asking to get a drink.

My daughters have both always been allowed and encouraged to keep water bottles at school.
#19 of 29 Old 06-05-2010, 09:23 PM

All kids are allowed to keep a water bottle at their desk. There's also a fountain in the sink in every classroom. As far as snacks go, this year my DD's class was allowed to sort of graze all AM on any snacks they had brought, but there class time was pretty self directed for the first 2 hours of the day (literacy program).
#20 of 29 Old 06-06-2010, 07:31 PM

Yes, my daughter takes her bottle every day.

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.
K (6): C (8): B (1/13/12) homeschool.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed2.gif

#21 of 29 Old 06-08-2010, 01:29 AM

My middle school students are allowed to have water bottles, but they can't be on the table when their laptops are out.
#22 of 29 Old 06-08-2010, 04:06 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
My dd's teacher requested that all kids have one and most of the classrooms I have been to in our district encourage water bottles. Some only allow drinking from water bottles during classtime so a child without a water bottle has very few chances to drink water.
#23 of 29 Old 06-08-2010, 05:49 PM

I have been teaching for 15 years and been in different schools and systems; never have students been allowed (school rule, not mine) to have water bottles in class. Now, I teach high school, so maybe that is the difference? The few times students were allowed to bring beverages for a class celebration, etc, we have had "problems." Alcohol in the bottle, a student urinating in the soft drink, so we just don't allow it anymore. If I am doing something special in class (like my "poetry slam at the cafe" or "We conquered Caesar victory party") I bring in all snacks and beverages and keep a close eye on everything.
#24 of 29 Old 06-08-2010, 06:25 PM
Banned

I teach, and my dd goes to school in the same district.

We don't have hallways - classrooms open to the outside, and students are outside a lot. And it's hot here. And the water fountains don't always work. Students are encouraged to bring water to school at all levels.

We have had the same problems as mar123, so students are not allowed to share beverages or snacks, or to bring food from home for class celebrations.
#25 of 29 Old 06-09-2010, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
DD has a water bottle in the classroom but they are kept in a tray in the corner of the room. They are allowed to go over for a drink whenever. I'm not sure if that changes as they move up the school, right now they don't have assigned desks, they move round the room from one activity to the next.

I'm sad to say I'm not surprised to find older kids have drinks other than water, even now in the playground I regularly hear mums complaining that their kids don't like water so they bought opaque bottles so their kids can have juice without the teachers knowing!
#26 of 29 Old 06-09-2010, 11:23 PM

At dd's school, each student has to have a water bottle in the class room. My dd's only been in Pre-K, so I'm not sure how it's handled in the older grades, but in Pre-K, there was a specific table with a tray that the water bottles went on and they could get them at any time as long as they raised their hand and asked first.

Mama of three.

#27 of 29 Old 07-16-2010, 04:29 AM

Last years school did not they only had water fountain. She is moving back to a arts school she went to before(its a charter school) that highly recommended water bottles be brought for their desk, almost to a requirement.

I picked up a stainless steel canteen yesterday for $5 at Walmart so she can take that.

Our school rooms here are typically all accessible straight to outside no inside halls etc. And its Arizona so yep water is essential.

Melissa mama to Zoë 7/26/03
#28 of 29 Old 07-16-2010, 04:39 AM

I'm 20 years old, so not too long ago was I in school

All of these were in the Chicago Public School system.

In my first elementary school, we were allowed water bottles only during June. Same goes for my second elementary school. In high school , we were also only allowed water bottles in June (officially, aka announcement) but some teachers allowed them at all times of the year. I had one teacher who allowed snacks as long as they were somewhat healthy (aka not flamin' hot cheetos).

I was the rebellious one and snuck pretzels into class in my backpack

So- to answer your question... only in June. As far as I know (according to my SIL who is still in high school [a different CPS High School] this remains the same).

rainbow1284.gif Mama to DD1 (6) DD2 (4) and DD3 (1)
#29 of 29 Old 07-16-2010, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Yes, the kids have refillable bottles that they usually remember to take each day.

Married mom of two, DD 17 and DS 13.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page