2010-2011 School Year Lunchbox thread! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 50 Old 07-25-2010, 12:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I did look at the Goodbyn website, but I just am not a visual spacial sort of person. I need to physically hold something in order to get a good idea of what size it is. I don't need to worry about keeping his lunch cold, they have a fridge at his preschool. I do usually send something that needs to be heated up, and that usually gets sent in a glass container, so that wouldn't work with the Goodbyn. It is super cute, but I also worry about him being able to open it without spilling, and also closing it up without spilling also. His class is all about having kids do things for themselves, and I could see his teacher being annoyed at having to help him open it and close it up at each meal.

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#32 of 50 Old 07-25-2010, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
We've got two Laptop Lunchboxes and some extra inserts. They work well but I'm tired of all the containers. So, I got my son a Goodbyn for his birthday. It really holds a TON of food. Both my three-year-old and six-year-old can open and close it easily. There are lots of pictures in the photo section of their website. And my son LOVED decorating it with the stickers.

I covet the Planet Box but I really can't swing the price right now.
#33 of 50 Old 07-25-2010, 01:24 PM

My kiddo used the planet box every day least year in first grade and we've been very pleased with it. Everything is still in great shape, including the carrying case and mesh drink holder, and I plan on her using it through her years in elementary school. We use an insulated Thermos water bottle (Foogo) and it fits perfectly in the drink holder part. Their lunch boxes are not refrigerated and she says things are cool enough when she eats lunch at 11:45. (school starts at 8:00). I slide 2 ice packs into the inside mesh lining. The ones we use are from the dollar section of Target and are nice and thin, but any thin ice packs would work.
My son is starting Kindergarten in the fall and will be eating lunch at school so we're purchasing another set soon.
#34 of 50 Old 07-26-2010, 06:45 PM

Am I glad I found this thread

For those that bought their LOs the planet box...at what age did they start using it?

I have a 3 year old daughter, who would start nursery this coming fall and will need to bring her own lunch to school. I'm wondering if she will have difficulty opening it.

Also, someone posted that they put the foogo thermos in the drink compartment...is the mesh part holding up well? It seems people have had issues with this.
#35 of 50 Old 07-26-2010, 06:52 PM

I'm sticking with Tupperware Lunch 'n Things lunchboxes again this year. We've been using them for years, and I may finally break down and buy a couple replacements. But they've held up beautifully- we've been using the same lunchboxes daily for about 3 years, and I've been so happy with them.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#36 of 50 Old 07-26-2010, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren View Post
While we're talking about lunchboxes, can anyone recommend a small wide mouth thermos that REALLY keeps things hot? We have tried so many and my dd still says her food is cool at lunchtime (around 11:30).
I have a large KK insulated for my tea: http://kleankanteen.com/products/ins...ated-12oz.html I plan to get a few of these for my children and I hope they fit in the mesh bag on their Planet Boxes.

If you are considering a KK, though, beware! My tea is nearly undrinkable (because it's so hot!) for about 4 hours if I brew it in the Kanteen. I have no doubt that soup will still be toasty by lunchtime! Try it out yourself one day before sending it with a child...

They are a bit pricy, but I've been very happy with every KK I've owned. IMO, the peace of mind is worth the cost.
#37 of 50 Old 07-26-2010, 10:02 PM

Has anyone tried out http://www.mymatsack.com/

They seem promising - I wish they had a picture of the inside to see how deep they are...
#38 of 50 Old 07-26-2010, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannysgirl2004 View Post
For those that bought their LOs the planet box...at what age did they start using it?
Dd was 7.5 when she started using her Planet Box. They have been around for only a year and we got one in the first couple of months that they were in business. Are you concerned about the amount of food it will hold? It's capacious.
#39 of 50 Old 07-27-2010, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post
Dd was 7.5 when she started using her Planet Box. They have been around for only a year and we got one in the first couple of months that they were in business. Are you concerned about the amount of food it will hold? It's capacious.

She'll be 3 years old so I'm wondering if she will be able to open it by herself...I guess I can always have her practice at home
#40 of 50 Old 08-03-2010, 10:55 AM

We bought the Goodbyn's last year and they are HUGE. Like - won't fit in the backpack huge. One was left over the dishwasher while it was running and the plastic melted. So I'm not a huge fan. Also, getting the lid snapped back on was a challenge for my son (he was in kindy last year) so I had a lot of messes coming back home to me.

This year, DS really wants a character lunchbox, as much as I've tried to steer him towards LL Bean or Lands end boxes or bags. However, I'm just going to let him pick out his own, I ordered some kid konserve containers and a bunch of sandwich bags and snack bags from www.reuseit.com so that should keep us all happy. I'm just hoping his food thermos will fit in whatever he picks out because he likes bringing soup or other hot things with him.

In the end, only three things matter: how much you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things not meant for you." Buddha

#41 of 50 Old 08-03-2010, 11:09 AM

Really? My son has this backpack from Lands End (http://www.landsend.com/pp/BoysClass...8&origin=index) and his Goodbyn fits in easily. Even when the backpack is filled with folders and library books.
#42 of 50 Old 08-03-2010, 01:01 PM

Yeah - we just had a cheapy backpack from Target last year, but the Goodbyn was so boxy that while it fit in, it didn't zip. Add in coats and gloves and hats in the winter, it just didn't work. I don't know. I just didn't like the Goodbyn. The plastic was weird and it felt like it "hung on" to residues and stuff. The water bottle thing leaked. It was an $$ mistake for us.

In the end, only three things matter: how much you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things not meant for you." Buddha

#43 of 50 Old 08-03-2010, 01:08 PM

Ahhh. We don't put coats in backpacks. But it looks like my son's would fit in there, too. His hoodies definitely do. And there's a few inches between the "hook" and the zipper so there will be no problem zipping it up. Some backpacks have an outside mesh pocket that the Goodbyn fits into. There are different drink bottles than they used to provide and my son's never leaks.

Sorry you had a bad experience.
#44 of 50 Old 08-04-2010, 09:46 AM

subbing

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
#45 of 50 Old 08-06-2010, 02:13 PM
MJB

Thanks for this thread, I've been trying to decide between the laptop lunch and the goodbyn for months and I think I'm going to go with the Goodbyn-- my 7 yr. old can eat a ton! We already have a food jar we send with hot food and I might also get a Lunchbot to send with it when he wants a hot entree.
#46 of 50 Old 08-07-2010, 09:11 AM

We ended up going with the kids konserve lunch sack set. Sending it with dd on Thursday for first day of school and will give a report. Plan on still alternating with her laptop lunch depending on what I am sending to school.
#47 of 50 Old 08-08-2010, 05:47 PM

Has anyone used or heard of the lunchopolis lunch boxes and containers?

http://www.amazon.com/Cool-Lunch-Box.../dp/B000V1JZN6
#48 of 50 Old 08-11-2010, 06:00 PM

i like the lunchbots, but i still trying to find an insulated lunch bag, so i could stack them. did anyone else decide on the lunchbots and find a lunch bag?
#49 of 50 Old 08-11-2010, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annethcz View Post
I'm sticking with Tupperware Lunch 'n Things lunchboxes again this year. We've been using them for years, and I may finally break down and buy a couple replacements. But they've held up beautifully- we've been using the same lunchboxes daily for about 3 years, and I've been so happy with them.
Us, too! We each have a Lunch n Things and they are still in perfect condition after 2 years of everyday use. I love that I don't have to wash or keep track of a million tiny containers, and it holds a lot of food if I send the water bottle separately. I aslo found a long thermal lunchbox to keep it in in order to keep the food cold. However, if the Lunch n Things ever dies, I like the look of the Goodbyn and might give that one a try!

Mommy to two boys, ages 4 and 6.

#50 of 50 Old 08-20-2010, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourdayourjourney View Post
i like the lunchbots, but i still trying to find an insulated lunch bag, so i could stack them. did anyone else decide on the lunchbots and find a lunch bag?
My 2nd grade DD used her 2 Lunchbots and Land's End lunchbox all last year. The paint on the lunchbots chips off (gone completely on one of them, maybe due to dishwasher?), but they still work great and we are planning to use them again this year. They stack or can go side by side in the LE lunchbox.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page