Getting 4 year old to do homework - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 36 Old 07-16-2010, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you all for your very insighful replies. I too am fearful of the negativity he will associatiate with "school", "homework" and maybe even learning!! I think I will have a talk with the teacher. She seems like a very "experienced" teacher. I like alot of those assignments some of you described like going for a nature walk etc. We don't have a problem reading. He loves to have us read to him. He doesn't per se recognize words yet though.
I do have a question about homeschool though... I have been toying with that idea but if I can't even make him write a letter, or do his homework, is there possibility of me homeschooling him????????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 36 Old 07-16-2010, 06:01 PM

1) Does your 4 year olds have homework from school? Not daily but like weekly.-- Mine did. She goes to an academically minded school (pre-k is a typical K, K a typical 1st grade) and it is a great fit for her!

2) Are they doing it?-- She loved it!

3) How do you get them to do it (without having to threaten time out) if they don't want to?-- We never had that problem so I have no idea.

What kind of homework is it? Dd's was basically "color the picture, count and write the number, find and continue the pattern" type stuff which she loved (she loves anything involving a crayon.)

Mama of three.

#33 of 36 Old 07-16-2010, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minsy1010 View Post
I do have a question about homeschool though... I have been toying with that idea but if I can't even make him write a letter, or do his homework, is there possibility of me homeschooling him????????
Of course. Homeschooling isn't or doesn't have to be about "making" the child learn anything. It's more about helping him/her learn at their own pace, and providing the resources and support to learn at their own pace. I don't think you CAN make anyone learn something. they won't learn it til their ready, and then the best you can really do is expose them to the idea/concept/whatever, be a sounding board, help if they want, and such. I've been reading John Holt's how children learn, and it's really interesting. maybe check it out from the library if your interested. And go talk to the homeschoolers and unschoolers on MDC.

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#34 of 36 Old 07-16-2010, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minsy1010 View Post
Thank you all for your very insighful replies. I too am fearful of the negativity he will associatiate with "school", "homework" and maybe even learning!! I think I will have a talk with the teacher. She seems like a very "experienced" teacher. I like alot of those assignments some of you described like going for a nature walk etc. We don't have a problem reading. He loves to have us read to him. He doesn't per se recognize words yet though.
Ugh, I'm dismayed. Did he enter kindergarten early? Four is early to be reading except for some children who naturally lean towards that. My child is not four but I don't know what I'd do if she got homework at that age. Best of luck to you.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#35 of 36 Old 07-17-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdnaMarie View Post
Ugh, I'm dismayed. Did he enter kindergarten early? Four is early to be reading except for some children who naturally lean towards that. My child is not four but I don't know what I'd do if she got homework at that age. Best of luck to you.
At age 4, the reading homework is likely having a parent read to them, not having the child do the reading.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#36 of 36 Old 09-05-2012, 06:40 PM

Thank you so much for your comment. I feel the same way, his motor skills are vary poor and he now hates the word "homework". It makes me sad because he"s so little and learning is supposed  to be fun. Collecting things around the house that begin with the letter "A" or pictures from a magazine, that would be fun and he would be learning at the same time. But the way its being presented I want to cry along with him......

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page