Any other diehard homeschoolers who decided to send their kids to school out there?? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 101 Old 09-02-2010, 06:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by briansmama View Post
I can't believe I'm here as we're diehard homeschoolers, but I'm considering a child-led charter school for my soon-to-be 7 yr old ds who has never been to school.

The hardest part in making this decision is that homeschooling really works for him. He never asks to go to school, is very creative, and loves his life.

However, I'm struggling trying to meet the needs of the rest of our family. My 3 yr old is making life very hard right now and is very distracting. It's a huge problem and one that I don't know will go away soon. He seems to need a lot more 1:1 than I can give while trying to do any sort of project, game, or reading with my older ds.

I also need to get in regular workouts and this makes us all feel like we're rushing around constantly trying to find enough time to hit my yoga class, get to the library, get home in time for my little one's nap, etc. Getting to field trips and park days is getting harder and harder, as my little one hits and gets very aggressive when he's tired and cranky (it's been like this for a year).

I'm so torn. My older ds is very social and meeting his needs has been fine this summer since he's been meeting friends at our gym and swimming with them afterwards. But, they are all returning to school and he'll be the oldest one in the kid's program during the school year.

So, we're trying to figure it all out too. I'm very grateful for this thread, as I have very few people in real life to talk to about it all.
What about homeschooling the 7yo, but sending the little one to preschool. My dd's preschool is very child-led. Most of the day is free play, where the child chooses from a variety of open-ended activities. The child can even choose to be indoors or outdoors and it is mixed age. I would really like to homeschool her for kindergarten, but she is high energy and very social and loves going to preschool. To me its so different from being at school in the older grades where they are stuck sitting in a chair and have to raise their hand to be called on (I'm not saying your 7 year-olds school would be that way, just that it's why I'm okay sending my kid to preschool even if I'd like to homeschool eventually). In fact I'll probably send my little guy to preschool there even when it comes time to homeschool dd.

Jennifer, mama to darling dancing Juliette, and sweet baby Jameson
#62 of 101 Old 09-02-2010, 10:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
ugh. I'm not even to the point of homeschooling and i'm depressed that I think I'm in this section. I'm having some adrenal issues and honestly, sending them away for much of the day seems like a welcome respite from my daily grind... but at the same time, I'm not pleased with where they'd be going... but it's all kind of moot because DD can't go until next year...

Anyway, I'm subscribing to this thread to hear other people's stories.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#63 of 101 Old 09-02-2010, 10:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by junipermuse View Post
What about homeschooling the 7yo, but sending the little one to preschool. My dd's preschool is very child-led. Most of the day is free play, where the child chooses from a variety of open-ended activities. The child can even choose to be indoors or outdoors and it is mixed age. I would really like to homeschool her for kindergarten, but she is high energy and very social and loves going to preschool. To me its so different from being at school in the older grades where they are stuck sitting in a chair and have to raise their hand to be called on (I'm not saying your 7 year-olds school would be that way, just that it's why I'm okay sending my kid to preschool even if I'd like to homeschool eventually). In fact I'll probably send my little guy to preschool there even when it comes time to homeschool dd.
That's what I did for my younger dd--I found an awesome preschool that we both love. She got to go play while I did the more intensive work with my older dd.

Things have been going much better for my dd this week. She has the routine down, and seems happy. She has been asking to HS pretty much every day still, but I don't know if she will much longer. She is adjusting much better than I am. I still miss her terribly, and can't stand a lot of what is missing in her classroom even though she is there for so many hours.
#64 of 101 Old 09-02-2010, 11:43 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post
eat outside unless there is a monitor outside, or stay indoors during recess. I absolutely understand why they are doing this, but I still feel for grade 7's who are being treated like much younger kids.
I really think those are reasonable rules. Your DD, on her own, may not need them, but MANY of the kids do. It is a safer environment for all the kids, with fewer problems with things like bullying, when the adults are keeping an eye on groups of kids.

My kids just started at the mellowest alternative school imaginable, and the kids can't go outside unless there is a monitor. The staying inside during recess may be the same kind of thing. It may be the teachers break and they can't leave the kids unattended.

Or it just turns into......

Lord of the Flies

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#65 of 101 Old 09-03-2010, 12:23 PM

I was just thinking of starting a thread like this, and here it is! I really thought I was quite alone in this.

Well, two years ago I became extremely ill (pneumonia, insomnia, adrenal issues, panic attacks, Xanax withdrawals.....). Anyway, I had been fully planning to do K12 that year. We had always been unschoolers before, but had decided that our kids needed more structure. I got sick during the first weeks of the K12 school year, and they had to be enrolled in public school. That was a very bad year for me. My older two have been in PS ever since mainly because they like it much better than homeschooling. The oldest especially is extremely social and had been very unhappy staying home.

I have now enrolled ds#3 in PS kinder because he has also decided that he really wants to go. He really likes it so far, and I am very impressed with his teacher. I'm relieved that I won't have to teach basic skills with him because I stink at it. I'm too impatient and not persistent enough. I love teaching science and history, but basic skills are so tedious to me. My other two were quite behind in reading when we first enrolled them, but they were much more knowledgeable in science and history than the other kids.

I think they do as well as they do because they know they have a choice. They are not being forced to stay in PS. I would love to go back to hs, especially with the older two since they are beyond the basic skills stage.

Things I hate about PS: The loss of freedom, the nasty school lunches, the rotten behavior and language of the other kids, all the chemical smells: the school itself, the cleaning products, the laundry products clinging to the other kids (my kids have asthma). It's hard for me to believe that they actually like it, but they do. We have to do a lot of damage control at home as far as teaching values and morals, and also protecting their physical health.

I'm so glad there's others out there like me! It's not easy to find support for this in the hs community, especially among die-hards. And most PSers wouldn't understand why this could be such an issue for us.
#66 of 101 Old 09-07-2010, 06:19 PM

Well, my DD had her first day at school. She mostly liked it, and I was very impressed that the school called me so quickly on the first day over the pyscho-educational assessment I gave them.

Here is what she and I did not like:

Her Language Arts teacher assigned an essay (250 words). She wrote 3/4 of it and the teacher came along and said she was writing it on the wrong side of the paper and needed to start over. I do not think I am going to say anything - but really, I have little patience for nit-picky power controlling adults (vent over) Thankfully, she only has this teacher for one class.
#67 of 101 Old 09-08-2010, 07:19 PM

I'm just going to add a brag here--DD is really impressing her math teacher. She was able to answer a question in class yesterday that he said no other fourth graders had answered correctly. Also, she took the first math test ever (pop test, too), and she got a 98 on it. She had 2 points deducted for not remembering to use the dollar sign when adding money.

Also, she told me today that her math teacher asked her if she did all her math homework herself. She said yes, but that her mom looks over it. Apparently a lot of kids just don't turn in their work or even try. She didn't tell him that she had already learned everything they are doing in class!
#68 of 101 Old 09-08-2010, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emily31 View Post
I'm just going to add a brag here--DD is really impressing her math teacher. She was able to answer a question in class yesterday that he said no other fourth graders had answered correctly. Also, she took the first math test ever (pop test, too), and she got a 98 on it. She had 2 points deducted for not remembering to use the dollar sign when adding money.
Sweet!

I hear you - DD finished her Language Arts and Math well ahead of everyone else...and while I know I will need to address the need for more challenging work sooner rather than later, there is a part of me that is happy that even relaxed HSing has helped prepare her for academic ease.
#69 of 101 Old 09-09-2010, 03:39 AM

Well, school started Aug 11 and DD has been going everyday. We went ahead and put her in 3rd grade (age wise she'd be 4th grade) since she's only attended Japanese schools and I've been working only on reading since last November in homeschool. She absolutely loves it. However, she's been placed in the ESL program (she reads at a beginning 1st grade level according to their testing) and in a remedial reading program. The teacher met with my DH yesterday to bring up her concerns with DD not being able to read on grade level, not knowing basic math facts (she's forgotten everything she learned in Japanese school while homeschooling since I was only working on reading/writing), and she's worried about DD's lack of concentration and her inability to remember things (like how to do a math problem). The teacher really does seem great and seems to want to work with DD. I just worry about DD getting down on herself for not being able to keep up with her peers. I feel like I have to keep reminding people that she does speak, read, and write Japanese pretty fluently for her age level. I do know she has concentration issues when it comes to school, I also know she tends to forget things easily (I found this when we were homeschooling). Otherwise, I couldn't have asked for a better teacher. The teacher is big into differentiating instruction, doesn't believe in homework (thinks children need as much playtime as they can get after school), isn't a big stickler for discipline (understands all children act out sometimes especially in a school setting and will only pull them away from activities if they're really disturbing the rest of the class), allows the kids to eat snacks in class (only healthy treats like fruit, veggies, cheese), for birthdays she sent a list of approved treats to bring in (bagels with toppings, homemade muffins, fruit trays, veggie trays, etc. . .). Right now, we're taking everything a day at a time. We're watching DD closely for signs of stress and if we see anything we'll pull her. I have to admit, I miss having her home

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#70 of 101 Old 09-10-2010, 01:21 PM

I am so back and fourth about school vs hs.... its driving me crazy! When we got onto the hs path is was because we felt we could give our dc a better education, more direct help when they need it, more free time to be creative, freedom as a family, more outside time. But after a year of hs (K), reality has really set in. Although we have many fun and educational toys, they say they are bored, its sunny out side and they only want to play inside, they ask to watch TV way too often, dd1 is very stubborn and wants nothing to do with even learning the basics such as counting and the alphabet. She is 6.5 now and cant even count to 20, read any words, still can't write all uppercase letter legibly...... ugh. NO she does not have any learning disabilities other than stubbornness. I have come to realize that although public school is not my ideal educational dream for my dc, I think for now it will be best for ME and hopefully my dc. I'm going to enroll her today, kicking and screaming (her, not me).
#71 of 101 Old 09-11-2010, 09:26 PM

: Jeteaa

This is us this year. I just decided to enroll dd (8) in school last Friday. It was an extremely difficult decision for me.

I am a single mother and had to go back to work. I thought I had a brilliant set up that would allow me to work, continue to hs and have my children with loving relatives. Turns out that the childcare situation goes against my style of parenting and these people totally disregarded my wishes about my own children and SO much more. When it got to the point my dd was in tears about going with (her) family members, I knew something had to change.

When I told dd, she cried at first, I mean my family LOVES hsing, but now that she is there she loves it! She says it beats going with her family.

I look at all of the items I purchased for this year and it saddens me that we're not hsing, but I try and remember that these are circumstances beyond my control. I have to work and I need not have to worry about them while I'm away.

I found a fine arts preschool for ds (almost 3) and as soon as I am able to work out the kinks, I can breathe easy and get family situation in order.

I know that we can always hs in the future and that is the only reason I am a little ok with it.

K. Michelle ~ Single, working (and still homeschooling) Mama to dd (S) 8/02 and ds (A) 9/07
#72 of 101 Old 09-13-2010, 10:45 PM

I always swore dd would be unschooled but here we are at age 5 and she wants to go to school. I had a choice between the Waldorf school (10-15 mins away) and the alternative PS that is closer (they have a garden, focus on social justice, have mixed-age classes, etc). I live in an ultra-progressive town and most people here love the alternative PS.

So, I took a chance and enrolled dd in PS. It's okay. It could be a lot worse. But...that's just not how I want to feel about dd's education. I don't like that there's 26 kids in the K class. I don't like that on the 3rd day of school each child was taken aside to see how high they could count. (This really offended me for some reason. The teacher doesn't even know my dd! I felt just like I'd feel if any other stranger did that to her. And not because she can't count, she most certainly can. Oh, and then the teacher gave her a shaky egg as a reward or something stupid like that.) I don't like how everywhere they go they are in a line. I don't like how they are only allotted a few minutes for each activity and how they only spend 15 minutes per day outside. Mostly I feel like I've handed her over to the institution that I swore I never would. I have been so incredibly careful not to intrude too much in her learning process that has so far unfolded in an amazing and beautiful way that is all her own. It's been incredible to witness. I just can't stand by now and let someone else I barely know come along and cut that off and move her along according to how they think it ought to be done. It feels wrong to me.

So, I am going to put her in the Waldorf school and see if that is any better. I'm pretty sure it will be. She really wants to be in school and would happily stay where she's at, but like a lot of things in life, I need to make the decision that I think will be best for her in the long run.
#73 of 101 Old 09-16-2010, 04:53 PM

Can I join in? I sent my 8yo ds to a school for dyslexic and gifted children on Tuesday. My son loved in but he cried on the way home because he wants to be able to spend more time with the rest of us. I am still homeschooling dd1(6) and dd2(2) is home as well. The other 2 will go to schools next year when I start a nursing program. Anyway, after he went to bed, I cried as well. I believe in my decision, but it is not how I envisioned things. I haven't told any of the other homeschooling families because a few of them are very judgmental. This support is greatly needed. s: to everyone in the same situation.
#74 of 101 Old 09-17-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybird View Post
I always swore dd would be unschooled but here we are at age 5 and she wants to go to school. I had a choice between the Waldorf school (10-15 mins away) and the alternative PS that is closer (they have a garden, focus on social justice, have mixed-age classes, etc). I live in an ultra-progressive town and most people here love the alternative PS.

So, I took a chance and enrolled dd in PS. It's okay. It could be a lot worse. But...that's just not how I want to feel about dd's education. I don't like that there's 26 kids in the K class. I don't like that on the 3rd day of school each child was taken aside to see how high they could count. (This really offended me for some reason. The teacher doesn't even know my dd! I felt just like I'd feel if any other stranger did that to her. And not because she can't count, she most certainly can. Oh, and then the teacher gave her a shaky egg as a reward or something stupid like that.) I don't like how everywhere they go they are in a line. I don't like how they are only allotted a few minutes for each activity and how they only spend 15 minutes per day outside. Mostly I feel like I've handed her over to the institution that I swore I never would. I have been so incredibly careful not to intrude too much in her learning process that has so far unfolded in an amazing and beautiful way that is all her own. It's been incredible to witness. I just can't stand by now and let someone else I barely know come along and cut that off and move her along according to how they think it ought to be done. It feels wrong to me.

So, I am going to put her in the Waldorf school and see if that is any better. I'm pretty sure it will be. She really wants to be in school and would happily stay where she's at, but like a lot of things in life, I need to make the decision that I think will be best for her in the long run.
joybird...OT... I'm also in WA and I'm interested in hearing more about this alt. school? Last year we did a ppp, but it was in no way a school. If WA doesn't have charter or magnet schools, what is this alt school?
#75 of 101 Old 09-17-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybird View Post
I hope that the Waldorf school works out for you. We just finished our first week of pre-K at our Waldorf school and it was really wonderful. I know that K is generally very play based, relaxed, and not academic at Waldorf schools as well. I cannot imagine the pre-k or K teachers at our school quizzing kids on how high they can count! They don't even label their things with their names because they don't want to push kids into reading (which is funny since DS can already write his own name anyway, but he is also happy to have a picture symbol to label his things).
#76 of 101 Old 09-17-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by railyuh View Post
I cannot imagine the pre-k or K teachers at our school quizzing kids on how high they can count! .
I think that it's a pretty normal thing to do to figure out where the kids are.

School is going GREAT here. I really liked our public school last year (awesome staff, small classes, etc.) but the progressive school is the best of all possible worlds for my kids. My kids are happy and look forward to going to school each day, they are each trying new things, they are learning tons.

I would never, ever go back to homeschooling. I always thought we did a good job getting out of the house and being around other people, but now that my kids truly have a learning community, I can see what we were missing before. This is so much better for both my very social DD who really learns best in a group, and my autistic DD who really needs to have lots of other people working at interacting with her besides just me.

My kids are both doing great.

#77 of 101 Old 09-17-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda on the move View Post
I would never, ever go back to homeschooling.
This is us as well, We homeschooled for 3 yrs before our circumstances changed and we had to put them in ps..finding out DD had an disability that we didn't properly serve, was the absolute worst guilt trip I could have ever imagined. My kids are soooo much happier now. To pull them out and homeschool again would be neglectful to their needs. For us its better this way

There are days, when yes I get irked with policies and procedures at school that I wouldn't do at home..but I realize they are in place for the safety of all kids. And we have had our moments with teachers where things haven't always been eye to eye, usualy though this is because my DD is telling us 1 thing and the teacher another. For example last yr she came home and said "mrs x said you needed to get a job" well of course I was like floored..what the teacher actualy said was it was her job to bring home her reading words and my job to help her practice..9 times out of 10 if there is anything that comes up either way, it just takes a quick phone call to sort it out.

"I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not."- Kurt Cobain
#78 of 101 Old 09-17-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
I think that it's a pretty normal thing to do to figure out where the kids are.
I was referring to our particular school, which is a Waldorf school since that's where the pp was thinking of sending her child. Quizzing prek or K kids on counting or ABCs or anything like that would not be normal in a waldorf school K classroom.
#79 of 101 Old 09-17-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:

I would never, ever go back to homeschooling.

My kids are both doing great.
Well, I would. I really think it is about looking at the big picture and deciding what is best for your child, and never is pretty hardline.

I do hear some parents say they will never send kids to school, or never HS...but you know what they say about never It is really about doing what helps your child to thrive. Ages 4-18 is a long time - what works at certain ages may not work at another.

Arguement above aside - I am very glad you have found a good place for your kids. I am always happy when kids do well
#80 of 101 Old 09-17-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Well, I would. I really think it is about looking at the big picture and deciding what is best for your child, and never is pretty hardline.
My kids are 12 and 13. Making a decision to be consistent from this point forward makes sense to me. In our case, "never" is only 6 years.

Besides, we've tried everything! We've figured out what works for them.

#81 of 101 Old 09-17-2010, 12:30 PM

Aw--I am really jealous of those of you who posted about how things are going so well. My dd is doing well academically, but is not happy in school and asks every morning (as soon as she opens her eyes) and afternoon when she can HS again. To make it worse, she has soooo much homework. It's not that she isn't keeping up, it is work specifically to do at home. Last Thursday, she had 3 hours. This week, I think the average was 2 hours without reading time.

Yesterday, her LA teacher suddenly decides that the kids have to write everything in cursive with no warning or prior instruction. DD said that the other kids didn't even learn cursive last year and are having to look a sheet of paper with the letters on it.

DD learned a slightly different version, and the teacher was giving her a hard time about it even though it was her first time trying the newer style. She came home so upset. Seriously, this has been an awful experience for both of us so far. They are already pressuring kids about the state testing next spring. It's not anything like this wonderful school we've been hearing about by our friends for the last few years.
#82 of 101 Old 09-17-2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
My kids are 12 and 13. Making a decision to be consistent from this point forward makes sense to me. In our case, "never" is only 6 years.

Besides, we've tried everything! We've figured out what works for them.
Fair enough.

I almost came back and erased my last point - as, really, you were speaking in "I" statements about what worked for you, which is fine.

I only mentioned the "never" thing for those who are struggling with their decision (and used your wording to try to prove the point) that sometimes it is not as black and white as never. More of a public education annoucment on my part than a taking exception with your statement for your family.
#83 of 101 Old 09-17-2010, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Aw--I am really jealous of those of you who posted about how things are going so well. My dd is doing well academically, but is not happy in school and asks every morning (as soon as she opens her eyes) and afternoon when she can HS again.

How old are your kids?

Do circumstances mean they have to go to school - or is this something you are trying out?

Emotions and extreme issues aside - how long do you feel is a reasonable amount of time to give it a go? Some people believe till Xmas is a good try.

Have you spoken with the teachers - or tried other tactics to deal with school issues (ex: setting caps or opting out of homework if the amount is genuinely unreasonable).
#84 of 101 Old 09-17-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:

How old are your kids?

Do circumstances mean they have to go to school - or is this something you are trying out?

Emotions and extreme issues aside - how long do you feel is a reasonable amount of time to give it a go? Some people believe till Xmas is a good try.

Have you spoken with the teachers - or tried other tactics to deal with school issues (ex: setting caps or opting out of homework if the amount is genuinely unreasonable).
We are completing the 4th week of 4th grade (she turned 9 in June).
Dh really wants her to have the experience of at least trying school, and we have many friends who have been raving about this school for years. I'm thinking Christmas is a good time to withdraw, but he is really wanting her to go the entire year. DD isn't really giving dh the full extent of her unhappiness, so we'll see.

I have pretty much decided that I am going to cap her homework time to 40 minutes plus reading. I haven't gotten any email info from the teachers, so I am going to send a very polite note next week letting them know that 40 minutes will be all that I'm allowing and that we'll do the best we can with that time limit.
#85 of 101 Old 09-18-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
We are completing the 4th week of 4th grade (she turned 9 in June).
Dh really wants her to have the experience of at least trying school, and we have many friends who have been raving about this school for years. I'm thinking Christmas is a good time to withdraw, but he is really wanting her to go the entire year. DD isn't really giving dh the full extent of her unhappiness, so we'll see.

I have pretty much decided that I am going to cap her homework time to 40 minutes plus reading. I haven't gotten any email info from the teachers, so I am going to send a very polite note next week letting them know that 40 minutes will be all that I'm allowing and that we'll do the best we can with that time limit.
I also think the winter break is a good time to re-evaluate. The beggining of the year is really hard on kids. Esp. coming from homeschooling. There are new people, new rules, new schedules. There are always gonna be aspects that kids and parents alike hate. For instance my DS hates homework, he tries to fly through it so he can go play or whatever. However its 9:30 on a saturday morning here, and he is currently sitting in a chair practicing his handwriting skills..he just wants to do things on his own terms (not to mention hes avoiding cleaning his room which is the other thing the kid hates most in the world)

#86 of 101 Old 09-18-2010, 11:14 AM

Ds will more than likely be attending kindergarten next fall. I was never opposed to public school completely, but I was definitely considering homeschooling. I am okay with my decision. Dh had expressed several times he preferred public school, and I have been weighing the options. My main concern is that ds may be labeled as something, too quiet, doesn't listen or something you know, but I have expressed to dh that if things don't go well ds will be pulled out of public school. I don't forsee that, I am the first to admit that I have practiced attachment parenting, and homeschooling just appeared to be an extension of that parenting method. I mean my ds is 4 and has never spent a night from me and is pretty much with me all the time. I am having more peace with this decision because i happen to be in one of the few schools in the district that still does half day kindergarten. If it were full day, i think i would be having way more anxiety about it. Ds will be one of the youngest in his grade, I don't plan to put him in any preschool programs, i am honestly looking at half day kindy as the trial run with public schooling for both of us. Granted we still have nearly a year, but I think for our family this will be the best thing, I have expressed to dh that i would eventually like to join the workforce, and I am the first to admit I don't do well multitasking and can't really handle a lot on my plate, ad in #2 coming along, I do feel like it will give ds the social stimulation he needs and will also give the lo and I some one on one bonding time that ds and i have had for going on 5 years.

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#87 of 101 Old 09-18-2010, 11:44 AM

ILoveMyBabyBird

I can relate! as much as I hate to admit it I am not superwoman. Juggling 4 kids, running a house, running a biz..by the end of the day I am soooo pooped I can barely fix the sheet on my bed..and as much as I hate to say it I am looking forward to my 4 yr old going off to K next yr. Not only to get a much needed break from being his constant source of entertainment but to spend more time with the baby, and maybe my house will be a bit cleaner!

#88 of 101 Old 09-18-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveMyBabyBird View Post
Ds will more than likely be attending kindergarten next fall. I was never opposed to public school completely, but I was definitely considering homeschooling. I am okay with my decision. Dh had expressed several times he preferred public school, and I have been weighing the options. My main concern is that ds may be labeled as something, too quiet, doesn't listen or something you know, but I have expressed to dh that if things don't go well ds will be pulled out of public school. I don't forsee that, I am the first to admit that I have practiced attachment parenting, and homeschooling just appeared to be an extension of that parenting method. I mean my ds is 4 and has never spent a night from me and is pretty much with me all the time. I am having more peace with this decision because i happen to be in one of the few schools in the district that still does half day kindergarten. If it were full day, i think i would be having way more anxiety about it. Ds will be one of the youngest in his grade, I don't plan to put him in any preschool programs, i am honestly looking at half day kindy as the trial run with public schooling for both of us. Granted we still have nearly a year, but I think for our family this will be the best thing, I have expressed to dh that i would eventually like to join the workforce, and I am the first to admit I don't do well multitasking and can't really handle a lot on my plate, ad in #2 coming along, I do feel like it will give ds the social stimulation he needs and will also give the lo and I some one on one bonding time that ds and i have had for going on 5 years.
dd1 just finished her first week of 1st gr at a ps (we hs for K).... for now its the best of both worlds. She doesn't have any hw, so all the hrs afterschool are free play/family time. I get a break during the day, have more time to plan/shop/make healtht meals, clean house etc. Things that just did not happen last yr w/ dc w/ me all day. her school is willing to work w/ families if they want to hs some subjects and do pt in school.... so that is a nice option.
#89 of 101 Old 09-18-2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeteaa View Post
joybird...OT... I'm also in WA and I'm interested in hearing more about this alt. school? Last year we did a ppp, but it was in no way a school. If WA doesn't have charter or magnet schools, what is this alt school?
PM'd you.
#90 of 101 Old 09-19-2010, 02:20 AM

Quote:
I haven't gotten any email info from the teachers, so I am going to send a very polite note next week letting them know that 40 minutes will be all that I'm allowing and that we'll do the best we can with that time limit.
have you talked/emailed with the teacher at all about what is happening?

(Email has been my kids' teachers favorite form of communication)

When my then 10 DD started school, it took her HOURS to get through her homework. It was a combination of writing much slower than the other kids because she had done so much less writing as a homeschooler, and bringing home a lot of the work that she was supposed to do during the day. She wasn't sure she was doing things right, so she just brought EVERYTHING home.

It took her a few months, but she got the hang of everything and towards the end of the year could finish in homework in less than 30 mins.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page