Any other diehard homeschoolers who decided to send their kids to school out there?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 101 Old 08-02-2010, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My family is making a huge change and we've chosen to enroll our daughter into a local Waldorf school. If that doesn't work out, we have a co-op school we'd apply at. Otherwise, we're back to homeschooling. But, we're pretty set on sending her (and in the future, our son and future kids) to school. This is just a huge change for us and I'm looking for others who have BTDT who can share stories or advise? We were diehard, hardcore unschoolers. But with a growing family and high needs children, among other reasons, we think sending our daughter to this school would be best for her and us. I still feel a bit nervous and out of my gourd at the idea of this! I can expand further, but for now, anyone else out there who's been in my spot?

Doula mama to artistic DD and monster DS. #3 on the way!
HAVE YOU HEARD OF SQUAT ANARCHIST BIRTH JOURNAL YET?? IF NOT, GOOGLE IT!
#2 of 101 Old 08-02-2010, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
There are a few of us here, and if you search through old threads, there is quite of bit of old stuff.

My name is Linda and my DDs homeschooled in a relaxed way until they were 10 and 12. Homeschooling quit working for us when my DH's job relocated us to small town where the only other homeschoolers were religious and we became VERY isolated, and I became very depressed.

School has been wonderful for my kids, though it was scary for me at first!!! Sometimes, when what you are doing isn't working and nothing you do can make it work, you have to do something totally new and different, and it's scary. Here is a quote I like:

When you come to the end of all the light you have and must take a step into the unknow, trust that you will be given something solid to stand on, or that you will be given wings to fly.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#3 of 101 Old 08-02-2010, 07:03 PM

I'm a pretty die-hard unschooler, but my 5 yo will be going to school this year. I am in nursing school, plus I work, and DH is in school as well, and there is just NO way I'll be home enough

CPST & mom

#4 of 101 Old 08-02-2010, 09:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We weren't unschoolers, but we were die-hard homeschoolers and were positive we would NEVER send our children to school. A combination of reasons (my health, special needs kiddos) forced us to make the decision to put the kids in school, and to tell you the truth, we couldn't be happier. I was absolutely terrified to tell you the truth but even though there have been some minor issues (as there always are in life) it has been an incredibly positive thing for all our family members. A piece of advice is don't set your mind on just one school. See how it fits your family and if it doesn't there are other schools out there. We put our kids in a small Christian school (only 70 students) in the country on 5 acres. We thought it would be perfect but after 2 years there we are switching because we don't feel they have the resources our kids need. This year the kids start at a bigger, city Christian school with 340 students. We are excited about the change and, if for some reason, this one does not work then we will re-evaluate. I think for anything in life getting locked into one mindset, or plan, can be detrimental. Keep an open mind is my opinion.

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
#5 of 101 Old 08-03-2010, 10:01 AM

ooh, this thread is timely.
We have been "relaxed, eclectic" homeschoolers for most of the kids lives. (9, 8, 3 years old) Really all of it except a 6 week stint at public at the urging (cajoling, bribing...) of the older two's father. They enjoyed the 6 weeks, made friends and excelled at the work. We had some issues with differences in the institution and the home but I think with time that would have ironed out. I simply didn't care enough to "make it work" if they'd rather homeschool, I was fine with Hsing.

Fast forward a year and half and dd (9) came home a couple months ago saying she wanted to go to public and give it a good year. She says her father didn't bring it up, that she just felt that while she didn't want to go back bc of the things she didn't like (nazi-like requirements with handwriting, loss of freedom, over scheduling) there was aspects she did like and is willing to give it a longer go to enjoy those (different set of friends, gym, variety of subjects, library). So, while I was sad to not hs her, and will miss her like crazy, I told her how much I respect her decision. I've always wanted them to own their own education, you know?

So, yesterday, I pick up the kids from my ex, and my younger one (8 in a month) says "I want to go to school too!" Which is out of the blue bc all summer he's been making lots of big plans with me and his hs friends for a year w/o his sister. But, of course I say that is fine, and I'm about to start talking more with him about it and he says " out at Daddy's!"
exh lives 45 minutes away, gets a friend or his girlfriends brother to watch the kids whenever he works, and has some issues with ...oh I won't get into all our struggles, but there is a MUCH less "respect the children" attitude over there. When ds was learning to read, he about snuffed the spark entirely by forcing him to work on it over at his house, in tears, when they had an afternoon over there. at 5 years old. And he doesn't feed the kids according to their necessary diet (celiac)

I digress. Sorry. Long story short, after a hard day, many phone calls, (and later, a martini.....) We are all good, and ds will go to the local public school along with dd. I have a icky feeling still leftover from dealing with the stress yesterday, but when I can separate that, I am actually kind of excited. I do so adore homeschooling, and really feel strongly about "unschooling" or child directed learning. But when kids know they can choose and choose to go to school I feel like maybe they are able to still own that education for themselves, you know? No ones forcing them.

I was actually coming over here today to see if there were any homeschoolers turned ps, and how that turned out.

I am looking forward to the forced schedule (I am also not looking forward to it, if that makes sense) the early mornings, the chance for the kids to get away from each other a bit.

Wow, I wrote a novel!

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

#6 of 101 Old 08-03-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenly View Post
... to tell you the truth, we couldn't be happier. I was absolutely terrified ...
this is us, to.

We tried school as an act of desperation because things were falling apart at home, but school turned out to be wonderful.

The staff at my kids public school was so wonderful. My children suddenly had a team of people who cared about them and were working to help them succeed.

We've had far greater support as a family through school than we ever did through homeschooling.

#7 of 101 Old 08-03-2010, 04:26 PM

we are hsers for now (preK and 1st grade). IF IF IF we could comfortably afford a private alternative school such as montessori (but not waldorf) I would send my dc..... But with the current issues at the public schools, I just can't send them there.
#8 of 101 Old 08-04-2010, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeteaa View Post
But with the current issues at the public schools, I just can't send them there.
Every public school is different, but that public school that my kids attended for the last to years was wonderful. Small classes, caring staff, involved parents.

If my DH's job hadn't moved us, we would have stayed with public.

I'm also really glad that my kids had the experience of attending a traditional school for awhile to really see what it's like and learn in that way.

Don't go by what you hear in the homeschooling community about public school.

#9 of 101 Old 08-04-2010, 12:20 PM

yes and so far ( well if they ever enroll her) its not going well for us. I'm glad though that others are having good luck. I was hoping for more caring staff and understanding. So far I just seem to bother them LOL Hopefully they feel different about ODD or we will HS this year.
#10 of 101 Old 08-05-2010, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda on the move View Post
We tried school as an act of desperation because things were falling apart at home, but school turned out to be wonderful.
Me too. We sent our kids to school for a multitude of reasons, thinking that it might be a short term solution to a difficult situation. In short, it was wonderful. My kids LOVE their school and have chosen to return to school each year since they started. Of course, everything hasn't been perfect, but school has been an overall positive experience for our kids.

We would be open to homeschooling again in the future if our kids ask or if their school isn't meeting their needs. But for now, school is working well for our family.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#11 of 101 Old 08-05-2010, 01:36 AM

We are former homeschoolers...and although my dd is thriving academically i really would like to pull her back out of school. She asks for it too, esp when she has a bad day, but we just can't do it right now I do plan to start homeschooling my 3 yr old this year (as much as 3 yr old can be homeschooled...lol). She is in a private religious school not public.

Melanie wife and mama
#12 of 101 Old 08-05-2010, 05:47 PM

This is us this year! I've always homeschooled my kids - dd 9 and ds 4. When ds was getting in the way of dd doing work with me (we didn't do much formal, but an hour or so at most), I decided to look at preschools for him to give dd and me a chance to do somethings. Well, in that process, dd spoke up that she wanted to give school a try. She was missing some social aspect due to hs friends moving away or being so over-active, they didn't have any time. And any school friends forgot about her and had the "out of sight, out of mind" attitude. Not mean, but I think a lot of kids are like that.

So, I'm anxious. On one hand, I'm looking forward to the break. I really need it. But I will miss them so much, especially my dd who i will see much less. (Preschool is only a few hours 4 days a week) Right now, I'm open to trying hs again, if it comes up, but I have a feeling it won't. I get a little excited about my possiblities, but I also worry about hte kids and how I will deal with "school stuff". I'm os conflicted and part of me just wants it to start ( we have a Sept. start).

I'm looking forward to more posts of BTDT or sharing the newby concerns.
#13 of 101 Old 08-06-2010, 01:37 AM

Sounds like there are quite a few of us out there. We enrolled our two school-aged former unschoolers in a public sci-tech charter that is brand new this year. While I am still feeling hesitant and anxious, I am also excited and looking forward to making this a positive experience for them.

Good luck everyone!

Darcy mama to Dillon, Marah and Leo, partner to Jeremy
#14 of 101 Old 08-06-2010, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millie Ivy View Post
So, while I was sad to not hs her, and will miss her like crazy, I told her how much I respect her decision. I've always wanted them to own their own education, you know?
........ But when kids know they can choose and choose to go to school I feel like maybe they are able to still own that education for themselves, you know? No ones forcing them.

That's how I feel....about my four year old. She's my oldest, so I've really JUST begun my unschooling journey, and off she's going to school! lol She wants to try it. Socially, she's being introduced to the idea and we've just moved accross the country and she wants to be exposed quickly and daily to a community of kids. I feel I need to support her in her learning choices, no matter how old she is (I've been questioned on letting a four year old make this decision, though, I think that if she was deciding not to go to school, I might not have been questioned....lol). My 'unschooling' philosophy is all about child led learning. She wants to go, so my job is to find the school which best reflects our beliefs on learning and offers as much of my involvement as possible. We've found one, which is great, though I've been having trouble handing the forms in
I am sad, of course, and a little relieved, which makes me feel a bit guilty. I think she'll do well in school. Not every child would get that vote from me, but I know my dd. I'll be here for her when/if she decides she'd like to learn at home (which she'll still be doing, life learning with us).

cosleeping, non vaxing, cloth diapering, peace loving, life learning, at home, single mama to two beautiful girls born Jan '06 and Nov '09

#15 of 101 Old 08-06-2010, 01:41 PM

This was us last year. Our dd did try school and had a positive experience. However, she has chosen to return to homeschooling this year. We are all happy with it. School was fine, but it wasn't a great fit academically. It was a small charter and perhaps a larger public school would have more extra-curriculars to make the academic fit less important. We can always try one of the public high schools later.
#16 of 101 Old 08-06-2010, 03:22 PM

DH and I are diehard homeschoolers. . .we've never thought about our children returning to school until this year. DH has been transferred to an International School (he's a sped teacher) in Europe. The school is reputed to be amazing with tons of opportunities for the kids. Right now, we've enrolled DD as a nonattending homeschooler so she can go to extracurriculars and French classes (we've just moved here, there is only one homeschool group which is ultra religious--so, not really for us), but we've been thinking about sending her full-time. We've also enrolled DS in the Kinder, but we know he won't attend at least this year (he's "gifted", reading way past his level, doesn't want to do anything he doesn't initiate or find interesting. . .and they don't test or do anything with kinder aged kids in the gifted program so we'd wait at least until next year or maybe never).

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#17 of 101 Old 08-07-2010, 12:04 PM

My kids have never been to school, and based on numerous requests this past year from my incoming 4th grader, they are both starting in a few weeks. I am terrified. The thought of them being gone all day is foreign to me that I can't exactly wrap my head around it.

They are going to the local public school. There are no good charter options here (although it's a very wealthy, supposedly alternative county), and the private schools are outrageously expensive.

I'm open to this being a good experience, but just can't imagine the lifestyle change. I really do think it's best for my older son, but feel particularly bad about having my youner son start first grade. He is such an independent little guy, and already so academically advanced, that I can't imagine how school is going to work for him. But he wants to try along with his older brother, so here we go.
#18 of 101 Old 08-09-2010, 12:43 AM

I wouldn't label myself as a diehard homeschooler, but homeschooling was our plan. Granted DS is only 4 and much could change, but at this point school seemed to be a good option for him. DH is transitioning to working primarily from home and telecommuting and I SAH, but the family dynamic is a little weird right now as we work out the kinks. Academically DS is very bright and personality-wise he's a very charming, confident, friendly, extroverted little guy. Socially he's still got some stuff to work through mainly in the area of attention seeking behavior (only seems to manifest in peer group environments) and peer conflict resolution. He's an only and I know most of it's very age-typical. A half-day pre-k seemed like a good venue to let him work on those skills for a few hours each day. It's a well thought of private school, small classes, VERY involved parent organization (edging on a little too involved, which is still okay I guess), strong staff, and just minutes from our home. It's also an accelerated curriculum so he'll be challenged, which was a concern. We're treating this very casually with him and he's excited. I have to admit I'm nervous though. I'm still very open to homeschooling in the future, but I'd be okay with him staying through middle school at his school too. Guess we'll see how it goes.
#19 of 101 Old 08-09-2010, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for all the well thought out responses! I really appreciate hearing others' stories and experiences. It helps me feel more confident and relaxed, as it's easy to feel guilt, confusion and stress.

We too can't afford the price of this Waldorf School ($750 a month) but we applied for a Tuition Adjustment. I'm putting my faith in that if this is right for our family, everything will fall into place. So far, things are. And we're really excited about it!!

One of the reasons we fell in love with this Waldorf School is that it's most like unschooling, that we've seen. They spend half the day outdoors, doing what they wish. Everyday the kids help prepare and cook a snack (grate cheese, chop veggies, etc). The teacher tells stories, they do a lot of artwork, they go on nature walks everyday, and they even visit the horses behind the school on a regular basis. They will do things like visit a sheep farm, help sheer the sheep, spin the wool into yarn and knit together. This is all in Kindergarten! As she progresses through the school, they will learn to play the flute, lyre, and violin. They begin learning German in 1st grade. They learn woodworking skills, homemaking skills, and more. I just feel like this PERFECT!

Anyway, please feel free to continue to share. I'm happy to read more about your experiences.

#20 of 101 Old 08-09-2010, 12:50 PM

Me! My son and I are both going to be starting school in September, and I am terrified. I'm going to be starting my pre-nursing courses, and I want to settle my son into school before I am full-time. With a combination of his special needs and extremely high-intensity personality, plus the fact that I was very isolated and depressed, and adding in a not great marriage, I felt like making these huge changes would be the best thing for all of us. I am hoping that school will add a whole dimension of things that I cannot provide for my son at home, and I really think he will thrive on the schedule. We are so lucky that we will also have a lot of transition meetings from his old SLP/school to help him ease into it, and for the school to really get a good understanding of his needs.

But I am really, really nervous.
#21 of 101 Old 08-09-2010, 05:49 PM

My older dd has been HSing since kindy, and will be entering 4th grade PS in a couple of weeks. I am not looking forward to it at all--our reasons for doing so are complicated (and I didn't receive much support on the HSing board, so I'm not going into it here). I am hoping that DD will just attend PS for either part of this year or just until completion of fifth grade and then return to HSing.

I am most upset about the change of lifestyle, and the limits that attending PS will cause. I will be continuing to HS my younger dd who is entering kindy. I'm just ready for school to start and get the beginning over with so that I can see what our life will be like.
#22 of 101 Old 08-09-2010, 10:33 PM

Me! Sort of. I was homeschooled, and *LOVED* it and *ALWAYS* thought I'd homeschool my kids... only DS1 is now enrolled in preschool!! And he's excited, and I'm excited... but I have really mixed feelings. Part of me would really, really like to homeschool him. But, the problem is where we live: its where I grew up, and was homeschooled, true. But we had to drive an hour each way to see other homeschoolers... and that is still true. Not because there aren't others around - but because all the others (that I know of anyhow) around are extremely religious, to the point of requiring a 'statement of belief' before joing the group - which I won't sign because I don't believe.

So. He's signed up and we meet his teacher on wednesday... and I'm really second guessing myself right now. Because part of me just can't imagine not having hiim around all the time. Nor having to be home to get him on/off the bus twice a day... and thus being so 'tied down'... But another huge part of me is super excited for him - he's going to know at least one kid in his class for sure, who is like his best friend, and I know he's going to love it cause' he loves to make friends and play with other kids'n all... So yeah. Torn. Really nervous. But excited too. For him. For me & Ds2.
#23 of 101 Old 08-11-2010, 11:25 AM

We have done hs,online public,public,and Montessori.Currently Montessori.While it is nice it isn't perfect(what is?),but dh wants the kids *in* a school. I would prefer an online public school. Home like I want,but schoolish enough for dh. Me being a teacher and hsing was never enough for dh.

I say if one method does not work try another.Even the same school but different teacher sometimes works.Differnet teacher,different students.In one year and out the next.You just never know year from year how it will be. I like the option of being open and switching while my dh seems to just want to stick to one thing,and lol he prefers schools that do not charge tuition.

Be open to trying it and listen to your kids. I do not like forcing a kid to finish a semester or year,but I have done it with Montessori since we pay and don't get that cash back. I ask them a million times during re-sign up if they want to go the next year.

Best wishes!
#24 of 101 Old 08-20-2010, 03:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intuition View Post
Me! My son and I are both going to be starting school in September, and I am terrified. I'm going to be starting my pre-nursing courses, and I want to settle my son into school before I am full-time. With a combination of his special needs and extremely high-intensity personality, plus the fact that I was very isolated and depressed, and adding in a not great marriage, I felt like making these huge changes would be the best thing for all of us. I am hoping that school will add a whole dimension of things that I cannot provide for my son at home, and I really think he will thrive on the schedule. We are so lucky that we will also have a lot of transition meetings from his old SLP/school to help him ease into it, and for the school to really get a good understanding of his needs.

But I am really, really nervous.
I totally understand. We are choosing school for many of the same reasons.

#25 of 101 Old 08-20-2010, 09:43 AM

This is us too. We were 100% set on unschooling, and in fact I still *feel* like an unschooler and I absolutely support that philosophy and lifestyle and I want to even still call ourselves unschoolers, but I'm guessing that wouldn't fly in some circles since DS is going to pre-K this year.

Our story--last summer we had DD and after a few months of dealing with a rough pp recovery both physically and emotionally, we decided to put DS in a 2x a week preK that was play based and very low key. He needs a lot of social interaction and activity and I could barely walk across the house without feeling faint for the first month and a half pp, and a long time after that before I could get out of the house on a regular basis. It was meant to be just for that one year so DS could get some activities, play with other kids, etc. and give me more time to rest and recover and work through some stuff.

Then this summer we moved across the country and it has been very hard on our whole family. The reasons for putting DS in preK again (3x a week at a Waldorf school) are many, but none of them are for educational purposes The best way I can describe it is that given our current situation, this is the best way for everyone in our family to get all of our needs met--for DS to have the social interaction multiple times a week, make friends in a new place, and to give me the chance to get some rest and take care of myself (still working through lots of pp stuff).

We also felt like Waldorf was a really great fit for our family and our unschooling philosophy at this point in time. The program is totally play based, not academic at all. I think a lot of the things they'll do at school will be really great for DS (we think he has some sensory integration issues and a lot of the things like kneading bread, lots of outside physical play, etc. will be really good for him). They have lots of oral stories, painting and crafts, lots of free play, etc. He is in a small class so I think he'll have the chance to really make some friends. Plus as a bonus I'm hoping I'll make some new friends through his school as well.

I'm not sure if we'll send him to K next year. I sort of hope not mostly because I really want to completely unschool and that is exciting to me, and because the Waldorf school is so expensive. We won't send him past K because once they hit first grade the program isn't as play based and free as we would like. To the OP, you might want to look into Waldorf in the grades more before you decide, though obviously you have lots of time. While I feel like the Prek/K really fits with unschooling for us right now, I didn't feel the same way when I looked into how their grades work. From what I understand the grades are actually very teacher led, copying from the board or what the teacher says word for word, etc. That's not to say there aren't wonderful things about Waldorf school beyond K, because there is a lot I wish I could pick and choose! But the overall format is too structured and teacher led for us at this point. But again, you have time to figure that all out and I know for us I am just trying to focus on what is right for our whole family right now, and we'll figure the next year out next year

It is hard, I feel like a little bit of a fake. I wanted to go to an unschooling conference near me this summer but felt like it would be weird since I'm sending my 4 year old to school, you know? But I really *feel* like an unschooler. In many ways I feel like this waldorf program isn't school at all, but more like a 3xa week playgroup that I don't have to stay and watch, you know? It is kind of like being caught between 2 worlds and not really fitting in with either. I want to make some unschooling/homeschooling connections here, but what will they think when they find out my son is in school? Plus I know our families think we are finally coming to our senses and next year or the year after when aren't in school anymore they're probably going to give us a hard time. Not that it matters, but I'd rather not have to explain things all over again or face that kind of discouragement.
#26 of 101 Old 08-20-2010, 10:02 AM

I'm still hsing dd1, but dd2 has special needs and she's going to ps kindergarten. It was a hard decision to make, but I feel like it's the best thing for her.
#27 of 101 Old 08-20-2010, 11:59 PM - Thread Starter

I did look into the curriculum for the older years, definitely. I'm actually really OK with it. I've always felt like my kids should be hardcore unschooled at the early years with more and more structure as they get older. I love the things they teach at this school, as they grow- German, Old Testament History, Woodworking, Lyre and String instrument playing, and more. I can always change my mind if we feel like it's no longer a good fit. But for now, we're really excited about it. At this school, it goes through 8th grade and it's the same price from K-8th grade. This particular school offers scholarships, so that's what has allowed us to be able to do this.

#28 of 101 Old 08-21-2010, 12:28 AM

I am a pretty die hard homeschooler. But, more of, I hate our local schools. If there was a really good interesting school that had a point to it, I would not mind sending them. My oldest two, I wanted to send them someplace for high school, but everything has turned out to be rotten.
#29 of 101 Old 08-21-2010, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter

I understand that Lisa. I've come to realize that maybe it wasn't that I was so much a die hard homeschooler. It's that I'm die hard anti public school (at least for us and in this area) and because of that, I turned to die hard homescooler. Which in all reality, isn't realistic for my family and our personalities. Neither my husabnd or myself are disciplined enough to do it and we just couldn't offer what my 4yo was needing and wanting. More later, kids calling!

#30 of 101 Old 08-21-2010, 10:13 AM

Yeah, our school teachings a lot of great things too, so great to find a school that teaches music, woodworking, lots of art, etc. And the projects by the students hanging in the halls are just amazing. It is definitely an inspiring environment. I wish there was a way to benefit from the things that we like without having to be in a classroom all day, but I definitely find the school in general very appealing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page