Are dental exams mandatory? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 08-04-2010, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Or is this a state of Ohio thing. I went to drop off the rest of the paper work today and this was what I was told...they have been less then receptive *sigh*. Other parents in the district didn't get it done. I'm getting the run around I think because of her vaccine status

The earliest I can get her to our dentist will be Sept and it will cost us $$. She has no dental issues.

Or if any of you savvy moms can point me to the law
#2 of 25 Old 08-04-2010, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Um, no. In elementary, they asked if the child was in "good dental health" but that was just a check "yes" or "no." I didn't have to have a form from the dentist like with the doctor. It didn't come up at all in DD's middle or highschool forms.

You might be able to get a waiver for the dentist too. You can opt out of the doctor for various reasons... largely financial.

Married mom of two, DD 17 and DS 13.
#3 of 25 Old 08-04-2010, 12:20 PM

It wasn't mandatory for Brandon, and his private school is required to have the minimum state requirements.... All we had to do is *list* a dentist...any dentist. We did not have to have anything signed that said they actually *went* to that dentist.

Here's what I could find:

http://mb2.ecs.org/reports/Report.aspx?id=31

http://education.ohio.gov/GD/Templat...&Content=84300

And a bunch of sites that either said children entering kindy "should" have a dental and doctor exam.

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#4 of 25 Old 08-04-2010, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Ally small Internet
#5 of 25 Old 08-04-2010, 02:23 PM
EVC

It's mandatory here (we just did ours for dd who is entering K in the fall), but I think you can get an exemption for reasons of financial hardship.

PhDin' mama to dd (Oct. 2005)
#6 of 25 Old 08-04-2010, 02:26 PM
EVC

Here's our law:

http://www.cde.ca.gov/ls/he/hn/oralhealth.asp

Quote:
A new law requires that by May 31 each year students in kindergarten (or first grade if it is their first year in public school) submit proof of an oral health assessment performed by a licensed dentist or other licensed or registered dental health professional.

PhDin' mama to dd (Oct. 2005)
#7 of 25 Old 08-04-2010, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVC View Post
To me, this seems like it should be against the law. Requiring a dental exam to attend school? Why?
#8 of 25 Old 08-04-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVC View Post
It's mandatory here (we just did ours for dd who is entering K in the fall), but I think you can get an exemption for reasons of financial hardship.
You can sign an exemption form for the dental and kindergarten physical exams in CA. They have it right on the forms they give you to take to the dentist/doctor. You just sign that and hand it back in instead.

ETA: The exemption is not just financial. It's philosophical like the vax exemption. Philosophically, I object to a school asking for medical records so, there ya go.
#9 of 25 Old 08-05-2010, 01:26 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2homeschool View Post
To me, this seems like it should be against the law. Requiring a dental exam to attend school? Why?
To make sure that all kids get to see a dentist at least once in a blue moon.

In our state, there are funds to pay for dental visits for kids without insurance or money, and the school social worker will help set it up.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#10 of 25 Old 08-05-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda on the move View Post
To make sure that all kids get to see a dentist at least once in a blue moon.

In our state, there are funds to pay for dental visits for kids without insurance or money, and the school social worker will help set it up.
In a school I worked out the dental van came in once a year to check kids teeth. If they needed work, they came back and did it for free. I think this is a better idea than requiring kids have a dental visit to attend school. I personally think it is none of the schools business.

(We do go twice a year for cleanings!)
#11 of 25 Old 08-05-2010, 10:24 AM

I'm in Ohio and the state law started requiring a dental exam a couple of years ago. It does not have to be done before the first day of school, so if the earliest you can get your child in is a couple of months, just write a note to the school nurse telling her/him what day the appointment is and that you will send the required form in after that date.

If you cannot afford to take your child to the dentist, ask the school nurse for resources. She/he may be able to give you information on financial aid or offices that have low cost services.

Also, in our district there is a dentist who comes to the school and does dental exams for a small fee. You need to opt in for this (in contrast to the vision/hearing screenings, where you need to opt out). Maybe your school does something similar. Again, the nurse would have this info.

My son has been going to public school since age 3 (due to special needs) and is now 6, so we've been through this a few times. Last year was the first time DS was able to cooperate with even a very basic dental exam. Before then, the dentist would simply note on the form that an exam had been attempted, but could not be completed and signed it. The school accepted that without any problem.

Lolly
Mom to an amazing little guy, age 9 (Autism, Hyperlexia, Dyspraxia, Albinism, Chromosome Microdeletion)

#12 of 25 Old 08-05-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2homeschool View Post
I personally think it is none of the schools business.
We used to live in a wonderful school district that was a reasonable commute from East Saint Louis. Every one knew that there were kids in our school who lived in East Saint Louis and whose parents lied and used fake addresses so they could go to school there. It really changed my mind about "what is the schools business."

There are kids who would never see a dentist, whose parents wouldn't realize there were funds, etc. This little hoop we jump through is really a small thing that we all do to help out the most vulnerably kids in our society.

If you are having trouble making it happen, then call the school and ask for help. I honestly believe that the reason for the rule is so that parents who have trouble making this happen will be given help.

#13 of 25 Old 08-06-2010, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
You can sign an exemption form for the dental and kindergarten physical exams in CA. They have it right on the forms they give you to take to the dentist/doctor. You just sign that and hand it back in instead.

ETA: The exemption is not just financial. It's philosophical like the vax exemption. Philosophically, I object to a school asking for medical records so, there ya go.
She has an appointment in Sept. They though are upset with me like you I would not sign the vaccine record/medical record form. Told that they needed to get into her record for more then vaccines ( hum thank thats the whole reason I wont be signing it).

Sigh if only this was the only issue but Ive been labeled " that parent" for not signing stuff...so they are playing hard ball stating that they wont admit her because of the dentist appointment.

I'll still take her in but they wont get to have the records now because they didn't say please.
#14 of 25 Old 08-06-2010, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

There are kids who would never see a dentist, whose parents wouldn't realize there were funds, etc. This little hoop we jump through is really a small thing that we all do to help out the most vulnerably kids in our society.
See I'm not sure how signing that form changes their choices?
#15 of 25 Old 08-06-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p1gg1e View Post
See I'm not sure how signing that form changes their choices?
I'm in a different state than you, so the form and the process are different.

There wasn't anything for me to sign. I took a form and dropped it off at my dentist, who filled it out and signed it, and I pick it up the next day and dropped it at school. My kids see the dentist twice a year so it isn't a big deal for us.

If we didn't have a dentist or dental insurance, I would have talked to the school social worker who would have helped arranged dental care for my kids.

There's nothing to sign. I believe that dental care is appropriate so I don't have a problem with this.

I think it must be hard for children to learn if they have sore teeth, can't see the board or the text in the books, etc.

#16 of 25 Old 08-06-2010, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p1gg1e View Post
She has an appointment in Sept. They though are upset with me like you I would not sign the vaccine record/medical record form. Told that they needed to get into her record for more then vaccines ( hum thank thats the whole reason I wont be signing it).

Sigh if only this was the only issue but Ive been labeled " that parent" for not signing stuff...so they are playing hard ball stating that they wont admit her because of the dentist appointment.

I'll still take her in but they wont get to have the records now because they didn't say please.
If you already have a dentist perhaps he would sign a "this child is my patient letter" without you having to make an appointment right now.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#17 of 25 Old 08-06-2010, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm in a different state than you, so the form and the process are different.

There wasn't anything for me to sign. I took a form and dropped it off at my dentist, who filled it out and signed it, and I pick it up the next day and dropped it at school. My kids see the dentist twice a year so it isn't a big deal for us.

If we didn't have a dentist or dental insurance, I would have talked to the school social worker who would have helped arranged dental care for my kids.

There's nothing to sign. I believe that dental care is appropriate so I don't have a problem with this.

I think it must be hard for children to learn if they have sore teeth, can't see the board or the text in the books, etc.
That isnt any different then what I have to do. My issue isn't that I don't/wont take her to the dentist or that me taking or not taking her to the dentist impacts poor or neglected kids.

The form/appointment is due to the school 14 days after school starts. Though against their own form and state guidelines are denying my child entry to school because I would not sign a different form letting them pull her medical records for vaccines ( after they told me that they would use it for things other then what it was stated for). They are running me through the wringer because it.

I told them that according to the form they gave me and that she HAS an appointment that we are following their 14 day rules on this form.

The revised code states I can just write a letter to exempt her from the screening though so again I'm with in the law. I'll still take her to the appointment but will not file it with them...well because they didn't say please.

Guess I've got a legal battle on my hands now.....
#18 of 25 Old 08-06-2010, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks you all though for helping me find the laws
#19 of 25 Old 08-06-2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:
I believe that dental care is appropriate so I don't have a problem with this.

I could be mistaken, here, but I don't think the OP objects to dental care or thinks it is not "appropriate." I think the issue is the school prying into a child's medical records and/ or misusing medical records and/ or punishing her child by denying entry because they disagree with a parent on vax/ vax records.

I find that despite my best intentions to love others as myself and treat them as I want to be treated... I get snarky about giving HIPAA protected info to those who do not work at a medical facility especially when they don't say please, LOL!

And I agree that bringing a dentist or other professional in to see children whose parents prefer this convenience, or appreciate the lower cost, or simply do not take their children for treatment elsewhere is a far superior plan to gathering protected data on every child and hoping that everyone who has access to a public school office is HIPAA cert! Oh, and I homeschool, so this has never been an issue for us... I DO appreciate dodging this mess! Added side benefit, I guess, haha.

blessings
#20 of 25 Old 08-06-2010, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum4vr View Post
I could be mistaken, here, but I don't think the OP objects to dental care or thinks it is not "appropriate." I think the issue is the school prying into a child's medical records and/ or misusing medical records and/ or punishing her child by denying entry because they disagree with a parent on vax/ vax records.

I find that despite my best intentions to love others as myself and treat them as I want to be treated... I get snarky about giving HIPAA protected info to those who do not work at a medical facility especially when they don't say please, LOL!
YES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum4vr View Post
And I agree that bringing a dentist or other professional in to see children whose parents prefer this convenience, or appreciate the lower cost, or simply do not take their children for treatment elsewhere is a far superior plan to gathering protected data on every child and hoping that everyone who has access to a public school office is HIPAA cert! Oh, and I homeschool, so this has never been an issue for us... I DO appreciate dodging this mess! Added side benefit, I guess, haha.

blessings
Yep looks like we are headed this route. I was giving this effort for DH. I was home schooled, this all rubs me the wrong way.
#21 of 25 Old 08-06-2010, 11:22 PM

Seriously? A dental visit to attend school? I've made it my whole without a trip to the dentist and was a very successful student. It's totally irrelevant to the school. This falls into the category of "none of the school's business" if you ask me.

Even though we don't vax, in theory I get why the schools want your vax info. An outbreak of a disease has an effect on the school, It could pass from student to student etc. I don't really agree with the school having it- but I get why they'd ask. This, however, is ridiculous. If they want to be sure kids get a chance to go to the dentist then try to offer a free/ reduced price clinic or something- but this is overstepping boundaries.

Stephenie, Wife to Nick partners.gif 9/3/05 Mama to Keagan treehugger.gif autismribbon.gif 4/12/07, Eden dust.gifhomebirth.jpg3/29/09  3rdtri.gif Someone new coming in July and two angels 6/06 and 10/10. Check out my blog! blogging.jpg

#22 of 25 Old 08-07-2010, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephenie View Post
If they want to be sure kids get a chance to go to the dentist then try to offer a free/ reduced price clinic or something-
In the state I live in, they do.

#23 of 25 Old 08-11-2010, 10:07 PM

Also in Ohio here... My son did not have to have a dental visit for Kindergarten, just had to list a dentist. However, I was contemplating putting DD into our public pre-K program and they did require a Dental visit for her... not sure if that was just for Pre-K or if they changed their policies within the last year. We're going in Feb (because that's the earliest I could find around here for some reason) and have decided against Pre-K... but I am curious to find out if that's the new policy statewide or not.

Jeri, Natural lovin' Mama to Elijah (9.29.03), Eden (10.2.06), and a little one lost along the way (1/12)., Step-monster to Shelby (18) and Stephen (16). Celebrating 12 years together with my soul-mate, Eric. Hoping for a rainbow1284.gif someday! 
#24 of 25 Old 08-14-2010, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

I wanted to update you all on the situation.

We have not heard from the school. Ive not turned in anymore paper work. After much thought and this not being the only incident we choose to do an online public charter school
#25 of 25 Old 08-14-2010, 08:53 PM

I'm in CA. All the charter schools and alternative schools here still have the form "requiring" the dental exam. I just fill out the waiver/exemption and give it back to them instead.

I do the same waivers for the health exam and for vaccines to. Even if I were more mainstream medical minded, my kids health info is really none of their business.

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page