public health and schools - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-02-2010, 12:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by One_Girl View Post
... and you may have to go to the school and occupy her during the times when the teaching on that subject is taking place.
This may not be true. DARE, for example, is legally required to be an opt in program, although schools ignore this in spades. The school is required to provide an alternate educational experience during this time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2010, 01:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm cool with most public health things in school, until they cross the threshold carrying a needle.

Our school doesn't have the health department in to do that stuff, though, so I might change my tune if I was in your situation. We don't have dental checks at our school, either, but I can think of at least two schools in our area that might have them or at least where a majority of the kids could benefit from them.

I think another thing is parents are so busy now, it's easy to skip/miss a checkup or just forget to make the appt. And places I've lived (all midwest areas), there were either programs in place to help families with cost for dental care or a dentist or two in town who would do basic dental work for a greatly reduced cost, so it wasn't handing an overwhelmed uninsured parent a letter saying their kid needed fillings. I agree that would stink.

Jenn

User Tag List