So, we have a trombone now . . . - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-01-2010, 04:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I knew that there was a music program at our school, but that's about all I knew. I had no idea what it entailed, when it started, or anything. So today ds1 comes home and says "I need to rent a trombone by Friday." Uh, what? Turns out it is a band program, and 4th graders can choose between violin, clarinet, or trombone, and ds really wanted to do trombone. So we spent the evening getting it rented ($200 for the year, gulp!!!).

I am very grateful that our public school even has a music program, but I have to admit I'm a little irritated by the lack of notice or info about what we were going to have to pay, and also, why trombone?!?!?! These things are huge! 5th graders get to pick a trumpet, why not 4th graders? Plus, there is no insurance available for the instrument, so if it gets lost or stolen we will have to pay $800! Plus, any dents will cost $90/hr to fix!

Anyhow, I'm just a little shell shocked at how suddenly this all happened, the whole money situation, and that we now have this huge instrument sitting in our living room. I guess we won't be walking to school on music days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2010, 04:56 AM

Surprise!!!!

I hope your son has fun with the trombone this year. I think "Oh BTW I need a trombone by this friday" would throw me for a loop too.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I got surprised this week after the fact with music lessons as well. I drop off DD1 on Monday, I never walk her in but only because I was walking DD2 over to her building did I happen to see the small notice on the door asking parents of 1/2 kids to leave boosters for the day. I drop it off wondering why but not having time to ask and figured they were doing a last minute field trip. It is small private school so they do have more leeway to do things like that.

Nope, I get a letter when I pick her up that day that the kids are being taken to drumming lessons on Monday afternoon and x is the amount I need to pay each month for the lessons. Cool idea but some notice would of been nice. I was reading your post thanking my lucky stars that I didn't get surprised by an instrument!

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:33 AM

oh man. good luck!

Berkeley mom of 3 and President of Tender Cargo Baby Gear
and The Nurture Center Store and Resource Center 3399 Mt Diablo Bl Lafayette CA 888-998-BABY
Old 09-02-2010, 01:41 PM

wow. That seems quite disorganized.

Here they don't do Band until Grade 6. In Grade 5 all the kids are taken by the Grade 6 teacher to try out ALL the instruments & see which they like. They put their 3 top choices on a list & they usually get their #1 choice.

Then we can buy or rent an instrument usually through the 1 music store in town. If we know someone who has an instrument we can buy it from them(and the music teacher will check it out to make sure it's in good condition). THere are a few very specific instruments that have to be rented from the city 3hours away, that is done through the school.

We pay $32.50/month for my dd's trumpet, it's through the music store & we have the option of insurance(which comes with free cleaning/fixing). So we did get that & it did have to be sent away near the end of Grade 6 for a fix(not due to her fault). She decided to stick with band in Grade 7 so we'll be paying for it this year & most likely will buy it out in June.

User Tag List