Private School in Mexico 5yo kinder...advice? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-02-2010, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are living in Mexico and have found...what we thought was the best private school in town. They teach 1/2 days english/spanish. My son is almost fluent in spanish, native tongue is english. He is 5 and will turn 6 in November. He has never been to school, no pre-school. Just at home with me since day one. He has also been shy to doing any type of writing here at home. I've bought several homeschool books and done all kind of activities to help him learn how to write his letters. He has almost mastered his name. He is also left handed.
So we enroll him at this Private school and they test him. place him in K-5 which they tell me is the same as Kindergarten in the US. Now 2 weeks into school my son is crying not wanting to go, he says the work is to hard, he cant do it. He's been sent home with 5-6 books some days and has 30-50 min of homework ..and this is kindergarten. One of the books was cursive, and he's not even writing in print but they have a cursive book?
I went in for a meeting today with the direction of education and some other lady and they told me that here in Mexico children start school at age 3 and by the time they get into k-5 they already know how to print and write. Well my son is really struggling as this is all NEW to him. They want to put my son in k-4 which would mean he would be in a class with 4yo's and he is a older 5-almost 6yo. I dont know how i feel about this. They also said that the teacher doesnt make modifications to help individual children along. That the child either get's it or doesnt. They do offer a helper 2 times a week to catch the children up and also suggest a after school tutor to help him catch up. They said they dont have many children require help as they have been in school since they were 3yo.
Now...this goes against every thing that i believe in. I know that children learn best through play and to be in school from 3yo-18yo...is just to much...children need to play to learn in the early years. I just think that much school can squash an imagination.
I'm at a loss.....when i first signed him up they said that if a child is behind that they have a special teacher who would come to the class and help catch him up. Well sounds like the tune has changed quite a bit.
Any thoughts?
I am really thinking about homeschooling him...however he resist doing any work here at home.

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg
#2 of 4 Old 09-02-2010, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

No advice? please mama's i have to make the choice by tomorrow. Any words of wisdom?

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg
#3 of 4 Old 09-03-2010, 12:55 AM

Bumping to see if you'll get more responses. Before school started, how much pressure was there around writing? If you've been stressed about it, is it possible he's felt prssured and is stressed about it? By the first day of kinder, a lot of kids who have never been to school before are able to write their own names and perhaps a few other words (like mom, dad, maybe a sibling or friend's name). Usually they print in all caps at this point, and kindergarten teachers start teaching lower case letters. Not every single child is at that point, but many are. If you think your son is far behind that, then you might consider getting an OT to evaluate him. On the other hand, you might think about homeschooling him, dropping writitng for now and concentrate on activities that develop the motor skills for writing (I remember reading on MDC something about clay and sand play being good for that? Also doodling/drawing with your finger--maybe finger paints? Hopefully other mamas here will know what I'm talking about.
Posted via Mobile Device

DS1: 2/02 ROTFLMAO.gif DD: 9/04 blahblah.gif DS2: 9/07jog.gif and EDD: 11/13 belly.gif

#4 of 4 Old 09-03-2010, 02:58 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
He sounds like he is at a typical level for a child his age, especially by US standards. Taking him out and homeschooling him with a slower pace typical of what we have here may help him feel more successful. Helping him by letting him have tutoring or finding a school with a slower pace may also be something to consider if you think those things will help him.

When I homeschooled my dd I was also worried about how it was going to go. I found that making it a non-negotiable thing we do in the morning helped things to run very smoothly. There was a short testing period after the initial fun wore off, but I didn't back off on my expectations and overall it went well. Doing it in the morning meant we were both at our freshest and it was easier to motivate my dd when she knew that she had a whole day ahead of her that she couldn't get to until she did her work.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page