California is changing the kindy cut-off - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 09-03-2010, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Phasing it in to be five by Sept. 1.
http://www.senatorsimitian.com/entry...s_legislature/

I am relieved, although my kids will be thru K by that point. I saw SO many four-year-olds struggling in my son's K last year.
-e

Momma to 8 y.o. DS and 5 y.o. DD. Married to a Maker!

#2 of 13 Old 09-03-2010, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
What was the old cut off?

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#3 of 13 Old 09-03-2010, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

The current cut-off is five by Dec. 1.

#4 of 13 Old 09-03-2010, 12:53 PM

My school district has a developmental kindergarten for kids turning 5 between June 1 and Dec. 1, and it's absolutely perfect for my son. He'll be in regular kindergarten next year, but he is too old (age and ability) for another year of preschool.

It seems like there is a need for this kind of program everywhere, especially with more and more parents "red-shirting" their kids. And I was happy to see that there are even a few girls in my son's class!

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#5 of 13 Old 09-03-2010, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Wow! I was hoping they'd do this a few years ago and save me the headache of deciding whether to send DS (October birthday). We ended up sending him, which turned out to be the right choice, but part of me just wanted the decision taken out of my hands. Of course, now the worry will just slide a few months earlier, with parents of "summer birthdays" doing all the fretting.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#6 of 13 Old 09-03-2010, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I''ll believe it when I see it actually happen. This was supposed to happen in 2003 as well but never did. I also don't think the 2 year kindie program will actually happen either with our budget problems.

Personally, I'm grateful my kids had the later cut-off. Having to wait for kindie at 6 would have been a nightmare for them.

Married mom of two, DD 17 and DS 13.
#7 of 13 Old 09-03-2010, 01:03 PM

I'd hate that. Both my kids have bdays that fall such that they turned five during the first half of K, and they were entirely ready for school. It would be a complete waste of their time to keep them out of school another year.
#8 of 13 Old 09-03-2010, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I wouldn't be happy with that. Here (Ontario) the cut-off is December 31 and I know many kids who are born in the fall and they have all done fine in school.

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
#9 of 13 Old 09-03-2010, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Huh. I guess it's partly what you're used to. Where I grew up (Ohio) the cut-off is Aug. 31, so when I moved here, the idea of sending a 4-y.o. to K seemed really strange.

And having volunteered pretty extensively in DS's K class last year, I saw how intense it is now. NOthing like K when I was a kid. Most of the 4 y.o.'s in his class struggled. So that's where my perspective is coming from.
-e

#10 of 13 Old 09-03-2010, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would mourn the loss of flexibility afforded by a late cutoff. We are wishing my 4 yr 10 mo son could go to kindergarten right now, which he could in CA, but not in OH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyMommaToo View Post
Huh. I guess it's partly what you're used to. Where I grew up (Ohio) the cut-off is Aug. 31, so when I moved here, the idea of sending a 4-y.o. to K seemed really strange.
As a point of detail, Ohio mandates that the cutoff be between Aug 1 and Sept 30, leaving the date up to each district. If we were to live 2 blocks south of where we do, my daughter would be in second right now instead of third.

I have noticed that perception matters a lot. I have a Nov birthday, started in CA on time, and did just fine (indeed, skipping 3rd). Around here in OH, many of my neighbors consider sending a 4 yr 10 mo old off to kindergarten - a boy no less - nothing short of barbaric.
#11 of 13 Old 09-03-2010, 05:30 PM
EVC

My late October dd just started K and I am SO glad for the current December cut off which allowed her to start this year. She is more than ready for K both academically and socially and I would have been bummed if she had had to wait a whole additional year to start. Although it's only be two weeks, she LOVES going to school and her teacher has already told me several times what an enthusiatic learner she is. Maybe things will change with time, but right now, it is really working for her.

Hopefully there will be some flexibility with the change to the September cut off.

PhDin' mama to dd (Oct. 2005)
#12 of 13 Old 09-03-2010, 05:43 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EFmom View Post
I'd hate that. Both my kids have bdays that fall such that they turned five during the first half of K, and they were entirely ready for school. It would be a complete waste of their time to keep them out of school another year.
I felt this same way when my dd had to wait for kindergarten in our district. They are very strict about the cut off. I think that for my dd this has turned out to be a good thing though. She likes to be the kid who knows what she is doing and being older as well as learning stuff at home has made her that child. When she is the kid who struggles she resists learning and it is hard to teach her. If she has just a little more knowledge about a subject than the other kids though she goes a long way and eagerly seeks out more knowledge.
#13 of 13 Old 09-03-2010, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
I really think we ought to have a national cutoff. For families who move (such as military families) the current lack of a cohesive system is just nuts.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page