attendance at title 1 schools - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-03-2010, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is it true that title I schools are more stringent about student attendance. It seems that some ps parents say that it no big hassle to take their kids out of school for family days or minor illnesses. However I have heard that title I schools try everything in their power to keep all kids in school every day because of the way their funding is determined.
#2 of 4 Old 09-03-2010, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Everyone's funding is determined the same way in our state and after a certain number of absences a parent is refered to attendance court no matter what type of school they go to. I would guess that it is close to the same where you are. The funds are determined in the first couple months so all of the schools really push attendance here for that time so they can get the most money, even my dd's last school with almost no low income students at all (maybe 8%).
#3 of 4 Old 09-03-2010, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
It was never an issue in my kids school which all qualified for title one. Yes, they did everything in their power to encourage that kids be in school but if you called in the absense, they didn't bug you about it.

We once got a letter remarking on the quantity of days me eldest had missed in middle school. That was the year she did 2 professional theatre shows and did miss a great deal (like 15 full days scattered about.) It was just a form letter reminding up that school was important. However, the school had approved these absences and DD was still maintaining her 4.0 so it was not a big deal.

Married mom of two, DD 17 and DS 13.
#4 of 4 Old 09-03-2010, 09:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Title I schools are more stringent about attendance because it's one of the factors that they're judged on for Title I funding. But it's an overall thing, not a daily attendance thing. So, if attendance is low on average, the school is in trouble. Not even NCLB expects kids to get through the school year without ever missing school.

That being said, many of the families at our Title I school take their kids out for a couple of days without repercussions. We took ds out for 3 days last fall for a family vacation and the school was fine with it. They've never complained about minor illnesses. If your child is sick, keep them home!

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page