Okay, it's "only" preschool, but after spending an hour with my ds in his new preschool today, I am trying to gather my courage to call the director and request a switch to the other classroom. I can do this, right? I know there is room in the other class because enrollment is still open.
I had a few reservations about putting ds in this preschool, but with other options limited for various reasons I decided to go ahead earlier this summer when I was checking out schools. So today was the first day and it was a "mommy & me" orientation day. The teacher is a brand-new teacher who just got her teaching degree a few months ago, having switched from another profession about which she bad-mouthed her experience. While I certainly value that she has an education degree, she really.really.really doesn't have the first clue about interacting with 4yo's and not a whole lot of friendliness or enthusiasm.
I could go on and on (just talked dh's ear off) about what I observed in just an hour, but let's just say I have absolutely no confidence that this will be fun preschool classroom for ds, and that's all I really want for him to get from this experience. I haven't observed the other teacher in the classroom, but I've met her & liked her and even if she is not a talented teacher I can't imagine that it would be any worse, and her classroom is slightly nicer as well.
I'm nervous about calling the director, but I feel like I'm paying enough for this school (not Montessori rates, but definitely more than the local going rate) that it is a reasonable request given that spaces are available. Can I get a reality check? I understand that all teachers have to gain experience somewhere but I don't have to accept that at the cost of my 4yo's preschool experience, right? I'm also worried because I don't have another good option lined up if the director says no.