australian teacher puts high school kids at risk from AIDS ETC - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-09-2010, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
School experiment HIV risk hidden: mother
ABC September 9, 2010, 11:49 am

The mother of one of the students says it has been a terrifying experience that has been swept under the carpet.

A mother has accused authorities of wanting to hide all the consequences of a Tasmanian school science experiment that resulted in HIV and hepatitis testing on high school children.

A month ago, a teacher at Dover's District High School used one lancet to take blood samples from 18 grade nine and 10 students as part of a science experiment.

The lancet was not properly sterilised between tests.

The Department of Education has since sent letters home to parents urging them to have their children tested for HIV, and hepatitis B and C.

The mother of one of the students, who did not want to be identified, says it has been a terrifying experience that has been swept under the carpet.

"They haven't addressed anyone to go to the school for a meeting," she said.

The mother says other parents appear wary of forcing the issue.

"But what do you do, nobody seems to be standing up, or saying anything," she said.

"Maybe the parents are frightened that their school will shut down and they'll have to send them to other schools, I don't know."

Education Minister Lin Thorp has ordered an investigation into the incident and the state's Opposition Leader wants the results released as soon as possible.

Will Hodgman says the Ms Thorp must tell the community what is happening.

"It's for the Minister to ensure that the proper protocols are in place that the proper support and assistance to all those concerned, including the teacher, is provided quickly and to provide the public with as much information as she can to reduce the risk of fear and concern in the broader community," he said.
The students will have to wait months for their final test results.

OMG this happned in my state everyone is horrfied

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/local/7...dden-mother/9/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 09-09-2010, 01:09 PM

I think the teacher should be disciplined--there's absolutely NO EXCUSE for not following proper bloodbourne pathogen procedures. Esp. for a science teacher that would have to have been living under a rock to not be aware--and lancets are super cheap!

However...I'm a little confused here. Is the school asking that all students be tested because of a *known risk* (there is a student in that group that has one or more of the diseases)? Or is it a general CYA? Perhaps the parents have not been told that it is a general CYA/no one that they know of in that group has those diseases but since you never know if someone has just picked it up and doesn't know themselves, it's a good idea to test--instead they just got a scary, impersonal, non-informational letter?

It seems like this was handled very badly. I hope the school administration bucks up and is able to give a practical assesment of risk to the students and parents--it's really not fair to leave people hanging like that.
#3 of 8 Old 09-09-2010, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wow, that's scary
#4 of 8 Old 09-09-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerchild View Post
However...I'm a little confused here. Is the school asking that all students be tested because of a *known risk* (there is a student in that group that has one or more of the diseases)? Or is it a general CYA? Perhaps the parents have not been told that it is a general CYA/no one that they know of in that group has those diseases but since you never know if someone has just picked it up and doesn't know themselves, it's a good idea to test--instead they just got a scary, impersonal, non-informational letter?
If they specify that there is a student (or are students) who actually carries any of those diseases, it will violate that student(s) right to privacy.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#5 of 8 Old 09-09-2010, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepster View Post
If they specify that there is a student (or are students) who actually carries any of those diseases, it will violate that student(s) right to privacy.
I dunno about that, maybe it's different in Australia....we got a note home in June last year that a child in my son's class had a confirmed case of H1N1. They didn't identify the child by any name or number or appearance or anything, but they sent it home as a PSA.

Last year in Kindergarten, we got 2 letters: One that said a kid in his class had a bad case of strep, and one that said that a kid in the class had lice. Yeah, not my favorite year and not a great ad for public school.

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
#6 of 8 Old 09-09-2010, 09:41 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
How would the school have prevented either common childhood condition? Strep is common in schools and so is head lice. Happens in private schools, too.
#7 of 8 Old 09-09-2010, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polliwog View Post
How would the school have prevented either common childhood condition? Strep is common in schools and so is head lice. Happens in private schools, too.
I think you misunderstood. She wasn't saying that the school could have prevented those illnesses, just that telling the parents that the illnesses were present wasn't a violation of any HIPAA rules or any other privacy issues.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#8 of 8 Old 09-09-2010, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The4OfUs View Post
I dunno about that, maybe it's different in Australia....we got a note home in June last year that a child in my son's class had a confirmed case of H1N1. They didn't identify the child by any name or number or appearance or anything, but they sent it home as a PSA.

Last year in Kindergarten, we got 2 letters: One that said a kid in his class had a bad case of strep, and one that said that a kid in the class had lice. Yeah, not my favorite year and not a great ad for public school.
HIV and hepatitis are very different from flu, strep and lice. Just for starter, there is a very different degree of contagion in question, one contract HIV or hep b simply through casual contact. Second, everybody gets the flu, strep or lice, most people are fortunate enough to avoid HIV and hep. Third, the student with flu, strep or lice this week will be perfectly well next week, the student with HIV or hep b will still have it next week, and the week after, and next year, and so on.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page