Class Size and Early Education - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 09-09-2010, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am trying to find as much good research as I can about how smaller class sizes benefit children in early education. I know the state of Tennessee has laws restricting the size of the class for grades K-3 and within a couple years saw great evidence that the reduction of students per class helped promote learning and produced higher test scores.

My oldest just started public K and the class size is 30 students with one teacher and one assistant. If the county does not release funds for at least one more K classroom in the next few weeks once the registrations for the year are pretty complete (all 6 K classes are at between 28-30 students per class) I will probably pull her and homeschool. What makes me crazy is that there is plenty of funding for things that make the school and county look good on paper (Smart Boards in every class, Chinese instruction, etc.) yet they are not meeting the basic needs of their youngest students by providing a reasonable class size.

I will be writing a letter and sending it to the superintendent of the county, the principal of the school and copying my child's teacher. I will also be writing to my congressman.

Thanks so much for any info. or links that you can provide, I've found some great stuff on my own already but the more I've got gives me a firmer foundation to make my point.

"Hey, I've got nothin' to do today but smile." - S & G
#2 of 2 Old 09-09-2010, 03:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1:15 isn't bad. I don't see anything wrong with it.

Last year my kids school went with 1 grade 4 class. There were 29/30 kids in the class, 1 teacher. She is an excellent teacher & this year has 23 students. When I asked her how she felt about going down to that many kids her only comment was having 7 less report cards to do up.

Here 30 is the cut off mark, but all the schools are over capacity. My kids school got rid of their computer lab this year as they needed it for another classroom. They now have laptops for the school. Many schools have portables added onto the schools to make more room. If our school has another jump in enrollment they'll be needing portables. There are 5 K-6 & 1 K-3 elementary schools plus the catholic(public) has 2 regular elementary & 1 french immersion elementary. There is not enough room. My kids school went from 220 students at the beginning of the 2008-2009 year to 300 students this year.

Things like smart boards, language istruction are often grant funded which is completely seperate from funding for teachers, aides, etc.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page