S/O How much HW does your public schooler get? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 43 Old 09-24-2010, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
The other home work thread has me wondering how much home work kids get, and if it varies in different parts of the country. So,

1) What grade is your child (ren) in,

and

2) How much homework do they get a night?

My DD is in her first year of preschool and gets no homework. I'd be irked if she got any. My sister's son started getting HW in pre-K.

Mom to DD 7 and DS 5.
#2 of 43 Old 09-24-2010, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my 1st grade DS gets about 10 min of homework every few days. Usualy its "bonus" homework. On fridays he gets a spelling list to write each word 3 times that is due on wednesdays.

"I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not."- Kurt Cobain
#3 of 43 Old 09-24-2010, 07:58 PM

We're in the midwest.

DD is in 1st grade. Each night is 10 minutes of reading, 10 minutes of a spelling related activity (we have this annoying list of hands-on spelling practice that are tediously slow...like forming words in play-doh or writing every letter in a different color) to prep for Friday's test. Then, 5 minutes of sight word flashcards and 5 minutes of something extra, like a math worksheet or a 'find _th words' assignment. Weekends include a poetry notebook she is to read to us.

DS is in 3rd grade. Each night is 10 minutes of reading and 10 minutes of math facts review (flashcards, mostly.) We also review spelling words nightly and go over his worksheets/papers from school and go over anything he needs help understanding.

WOHM to DS11 and DD9, both T1Ds

#4 of 43 Old 09-24-2010, 08:14 PM

Pre-k----no homework

K---one page of homework M-Th nights that took approx 5 minutes to complete (ex. one page story to read or one math worksheet)

1st---two to three pages of homework M-F nights that takes approx 10 minutes to complete (one story to read + one math sheet + an occasional other sheet)
#5 of 43 Old 09-24-2010, 08:19 PM

We're in Alberta and mine are gr4, gr2, k, and preschool. They don't get any homework, though the older two would have to bring home and complete any work they didn't finish in the ample class time they are given. That hasn't happened yet though, they are given more than enough time in school for the work that needs to be completed unless they waste a lot of time in class.

#6 of 43 Old 09-24-2010, 08:28 PM

I'm in BC.

My oldest is in 12th grade. He's only carrying a 3/4 schedule right now. (He will be filling one of his two empty periods when he can figure out what class fits - he originally had a full schedule, but three of his chosen classes were at the same time, and he had to pick one. It's too bad it was the three classes he most wanted to take.) I'd say he's getting about 30-45 minutes a night, but it will pick up. There's always less homework at the beginning of the year, and school doesn't start here until the day after Labour Day.

When he was in 4th, 5th and 6th grade, he was doing about 2-3 hours a night. It was absolutely ridiculous.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#7 of 43 Old 09-24-2010, 08:37 PM

We are in NY state.

It varies from night to night, but it is never less than two hours for my 8th grader, often more like four, and that's five nights a week. She always also has lengthy projects hanging over her head that have to be done over the weekends. My 5th grader has far less homework than last year so far (somewhat better teacher), usually about 2 hours per night, also five nights a week.

Last night, she had 6 pages of math worksheets, four pages of Spanish, a chapter of social studies to read and two pages of questions to answer, four pages of math worksheets (many of the problems had not been covered in class), two math chapters in her text book and six pages of problems at the end of the chapter, a sheet of spelling and vocabulary words, two chapters in a novel they are reading for class. She has three longer term projects she's supposed to be working on. Oh, yeah, she's also supposed to practice the violin for 40 minutes and read for "pleasure" for half an hour.

My 5th grader had a page of spelling words, a chapter in her math text and all 48 problems at the end of the chapter, a packet of social studies consisting of about 20 pages of reading and eight pages of worksheets, two online "games," and she is supposed to read for half an hour and practice her flute for 20 minutes. She also has a long term science project she had to work on.
#8 of 43 Old 09-24-2010, 08:51 PM

Washington State here.

DS1 is in 1st grade. Hw is given on monday, due on friday. It takes him less than 10 minutes to do the whole weeks worth. Math flash cards were sent home earlier this week (which I initially said "ugh" until I read the attached letter from his teacher. Teacher said it was not about memorizing, that it was more important that they can provide meaning to their answers. If the card says 2+3, have them group objects of 2 and 3 and then combine them to make 5.) These cards are not "homework" per se, just a tool we could use if we wanted to help the kids start to understand math facts. Spelling is to begin next month, 6 words per week. I don't know what kind of hw that will entail. A reading "log" each month which has 19 apples they color for each 20 minutes of reading (can be read to self, read to another, or adult reads to child).

DS2- is 3 years old, started Montessori. No hw, however if the parent asked, the school has work that can be taken home to do.
#9 of 43 Old 09-24-2010, 08:52 PM

Saskatchewan here. The girls are in Grades 3, 4 & 7.

Quote:
They don't get any homework, though the older two would have to bring home and complete any work they didn't finish in the ample class time they are given. That hasn't happened yet though, they are given more than enough time in school for the work that needs to be completed unless they waste a lot of time in class.
This is the same here. they only get hw if they haven't finished their work in the time allowed in class & the schools allow more than enough time.

There may be 1-2 special projects through the year but my kids rarely bring those home.

There will be tests to study for.

There is reading logs for the younger 2, however they read everynight anyhow so I don't count it at hw. The one in Grade 3 has 10min to read each night. If they read they do, if they don't it's not a big deal & the school doesn't do anything about it.
#10 of 43 Old 09-24-2010, 09:36 PM

Dd is in 4th grade. We are in NC.

So far, she gets 10 min of hw a night. It is select math problems from a workbook. They are supposed to set a timer for 10 min and stop when it dings. If they finish the assigned problems and still have time, they are supposed to go back and do some of the skipped problems until 10 min of time has elapsed. (ftr, we don't do the timer here. She just does the problems in under 5 min and stops )

She is also supposed to read 30 min a night, which she would do anyway.

She has had hw for the AG program once so far. It was about 15 min of work, and she had the whole week to complete it.

2nd and 3rd grade were similar, except she brought home spelling words/assignments every week for those grades. She has spelling this year, too, but there is no spelling hw.

I've been very happy with the hw policies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Lupine View Post
My DD is in her first year of preschool and gets no homework. I'd be irked if she got any. My sister's son started getting HW in pre-K.
Homework in preschool??? That's crazy!
#11 of 43 Old 09-24-2010, 10:37 PM

DS is in 1st grade. He gets his homework folder sent home on Monday (1-2 pages) due Wednesday, homework folder sent home on Wednesday (1-2 pages) due Friday, literacy homework folder (1-2 pages) sent home Monday due Thursday and a "reading contract" (folder with a book and a short assignment) due every 2 weeks. He also gets a spelling list on Mondays, test on Fridays.

Each of the homework/literacy homeworks take maybe 10 minutes to do (sometimes 5 minutes, sometimes 15). The spelling lists we just build into our days (I give him "quizzes" randomly) so I'm not sure how much actual time he works on that. The "reading contract" takes a couple hours over the course of 2 weeks.

I don't think it's too bad

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#12 of 43 Old 09-24-2010, 10:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
DS2, first grade: 15-20 mins a week... He gets a packer on Monday with instructions what to do on what day and he turns it in on Friday. He does it all on Mondays and it takes him 15-20. He is supposed tonread daily for 15 mins also. If he does it, he does it... I don't care. He reads enough that it balances out. I just sign the log.

DS1, 4th: anywhere from 0-30 mins... He too is supposed to read nightly. Same applies.

DD, 6th: 30 mins to 2 hrs, depending....

This is a tree on fire with love, but it's still scary since most people think love only looks like one thing instead of the whole world. *
#13 of 43 Old 09-24-2010, 11:14 PM

1) One child in 1st, one in 4th. We're in the Pacific NW.

2) The school 'rule of thumb' is that children should get about 10 minutes of homework per grade starting in 1st. That's about right for dd, who's in 1st. No way does ds have 40 minutes a day. He's usually done in about 10. I suspect it will increase later in the year as he gets more projects.

In addition, they have do to reading every day: 20 minutes for dd, 30 minutes for ds. That's not a problem as it's part of the bedtime routine. I don't really count it as homework.

If we counted it, then dd would have 30 minutes of homework and ds would have 40.

I'd pull my child out of any pre-K program that assigns homework.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#14 of 43 Old 09-24-2010, 11:57 PM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
3rd grade- about 15 minutes a night, plus daily reading
9th grade-- anywhere from nothing to two or three hours a night

We're in the West.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#15 of 43 Old 09-25-2010, 09:44 AM

This is our first year dealing with PS after HSing previously. We are in Texas, and dd is in fourth grade. She has homework of 1 1/2 to 3 hours every day (includes reading 30 min)--specifically assigned as homework, not work left over from the class. In addition to her daily homework, there are these huge six weeks projects. I am not a fan.
#16 of 43 Old 09-25-2010, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emily31 View Post
This is our first year dealing with PS after HSing previously. We are in Texas, and dd is in fourth grade. She has homework of 1 1/2 to 3 hours every day (includes reading 30 min)--specifically assigned as homework, not work left over from the class. In addition to her daily homework, there are these huge six weeks projects. I am not a fan.
I am also in Texas, and I have kids in K and 2nd. K has no homework, but they ask that you read to them every night. 2nd has 4 assignments per week due Friday...things like draw a picture of the setting of the book you read, create a word search woth science or social studies words, write 3 word problems for math or make a poster. Besides that, they are supposed to read 20 minutes a night and mark it in the reading log, and study spelling words.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jill stillheart.gif Chris (7/96), mommy to 3 sweet redheads: jumpers.gif Matthew autismribbon.gif (12/02), Michelle (8/05) and Marissa (1/10). Nursing since 2002.
#17 of 43 Old 09-25-2010, 05:05 PM

Colorado

K (Full Day): 10 min + Reading (1 book)
Read 1 Book per night (my little guy loves to read and does way more than that); Monthly HW packet that contains an assignment for Mon-Thurs (usually takes 5-10 min)...can be done whenever it works with your schedule, but needs to be turned in by the end of the month (or day after last assignment).

3rd Grade: 15-20 min + Reading 20 Min
Read 20 min per night; Math (1-3 worksheets, takes 10 min or so); spelling (up to you how much you study...unless the words are hard we practice out loud, so 5 min); Handwriting (cursive, 5 min and not every night); Misc. (sometimes there's something else like 5 min of science (look at bugs and record interesting facts), social studies or something else).

Our school is super academic...super high test scores, blue ribbon, etc. and HW is not so bad so far...
#18 of 43 Old 09-26-2010, 01:49 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Kindergarten in a multi-age classroom. Independent project to be completed and presented each Friday. It can be really anything....dd chooses something she's interested in and we help her find information and think about how to share it (this week she wants to do something with frogs). We're also supposed to read 20-30 minutes a day, but there's no log or anything to keep.

It is, in fact, more than 5 or 10 minutes a day, but because it's not rote work, I'm not too fussed.

Mom of two girls.
#19 of 43 Old 09-26-2010, 09:33 AM

DS is in 3rd grade. He has about 15 minutes of math homework, a spelling test every 2 weeks, a book report 1x a month. He's also supposed to read 15 minutes a day.

DD is in 1st grade. So far she's had no homework other than a spelling test every Thursday and reading 15 minutes a day too.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#20 of 43 Old 09-26-2010, 10:24 AM

DD is in first grade in Virginia. She gets a homework packet on Fridays that is due the following Friday. Right now it takes her 5-10 minutes per page (one per night but you can spread them out however you like). She is also expected to read for 15 minutes each night which she does anyway, if not more (and me begging her to stop as it is sleepy time). She really likes doing worksheets and stuff (she is begging for a new math workbook for her birthday next week), though, so I just go with the flow - it is mostly reinforcing the lessons that week.

Apparently doing it rong and ruining it for everyone, but I don't give a crap anymorebanana.gif

#21 of 43 Old 09-26-2010, 11:17 AM

Only one of mine is in school.

DD1 is in first grade, in NJ. She gets homework-- it takes her about a half hour to complete, but that's because she dilly-dallies and stops a zillion times to chat. If she sat down and just DID it, it would take about ten minutes at the most. It's usually a little paper minibook to read, with a brief writing response to it. Then there's usually a math practice page.

In Kindy, she got two worksheets a day. They were usually very simple things she could do independently, and they took about ten minutes.

We also have a reading log thing but I don't do it. DD1 reads for an hour or more nearly every night, but I think that timing it and logging it kills the joy of reading for her, so I take the log away from her, and I just fudge the log to make the teacher happy. I'm okay with that, because on average she's reading nearly four times as much as they require-- just not as lock-step consistently as they want.

Our school gives no homework on weekends, but we do get special projects to do over school vacations, and I think they're a royal pain in the neck, because they're mostly things that cost me money in materials, and I wind up doing most of the work because it's too difficult for DD1. So far we've done them, though, because DD1 didn't want to be the only one who didn't do it, and I'm okay with that.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#22 of 43 Old 09-26-2010, 11:45 AM

My son is in third grade. The expectation at his school is 10 minutes per grade. Last year in second towards the end of the year he usually had around 20 minutes so that seemed to hold true. This year he only typically has around 10 minutes of homework. It's still the beginning of the year so that homework load could increase throughout the year. But, my son is also doing better about focusing and working well during class work time this year so that could also account for the lower homework load in which case I don't see it increasing. It could also be just a function of having a different teacher that he has less homework this year.

So basically he has about 10 minutes at this point in time. I would not be surprised to see up to 30 minutes of homework a night.

Mom to DS 4/24/03 and DD 4/17/06
#23 of 43 Old 09-26-2010, 12:09 PM

We are in the midwest --

DS - 4th grade -- Has about 40 min. of work each night, plus 20 - 30 min. of reading. He is sent home with a homework folder each Fri. that is due the following Fri. so we can work on the homework as it fits into our family schedule. I would imagine that the workload may increase later this year, but he is also coming off of being homeschooled and is puttering around a bit right now when it comes to working on worksheets at home. He could whip out the work faster, but isn't.

DD - 1st grade -- Has about 15 - 20 min. of math and LA work each night, plus 20 min. of reading (either reading to her or reading to self.) She is also sent home with a homework folder on Fri. that is due the following Fri.

Laura - Mom to ds (10) and dd (7) "Time stands still best in moments that look suspiciously like ordinary life." Brian Andreas.

#24 of 43 Old 09-27-2010, 02:00 PM

Reading these posts is scaring me! Some of your kids have A LOT of hw! DD is in a mixed class of grades 3-4-5 and has had 2 assignments so far: one was a show n' tell type thing and the other was to write 3 testable questions for an object on an index card. Last year, the homework was optional and we never did it. I am really glad there is not more hw; the kids do the work in school and there is very little drilling or memorization or worksheets. I rarely had hw as a kid so I would be unhappy if dd had hours of extra work to do. I didn't consider the school's hw policy when choosing the school, but now I would absolutely ask about it if we had to change schools since it seems to vary so widely.

treehugger.gifread.gifsewmachine.gif  Mama to joy.gif 3/03 and angel3.gif 12/06, married to jammin.gif for 18 years
#25 of 43 Old 09-27-2010, 02:17 PM

Texas

Ds is in first grade. His homework takes about five minutes, plus 15 minutes reading. He is in a competitive charter school (in that the school has many clubs/teams that compete in things like Math League) that THANKFULLY does not have those money, time, and fun sucking "family" art projects that I despised at his regular public school last year.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#26 of 43 Old 09-27-2010, 02:48 PM

1st Grade (New York)

15 minutes of reading every night, one list of 8-10 spelling words (learn M-Th), and one page of math homework (Saxon)

DS2 is in Kindergarten and they'll be starting homework in November.

The previous year, DS1 had about one page of homework M-Th in Kindergarten (different state). DS2 was supposed to read (well listen to a story) every night in PK.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#27 of 43 Old 09-27-2010, 02:48 PM

We're in Idaho.

Preschool - nothing. If he misses a day, she'll send home whatever they did and it's up to us if we want to have him do it, but it doesn't have to go back.

3rd grade - not much. They have enough time during class to complete all the assignments. Sometimes he'll bring it home because he wants to and I'll go through it with him. We do go over the week's spelling words before his test and if he's studying for a test, we'll go over that. Rarely, he'll have to bring something in for science (plant seeds, a cutting, etc). There's nothing required though unless he doesn't finish in class. If he misses a day, the stuff gets sent home but he doesn't have to bring it back.

3rd grade is the only year he hasn't had required reading of some sort everyday. But he does that anyways.
#28 of 43 Old 09-27-2010, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyncyn View Post
Reading these posts is scaring me! Some of your kids have A LOT of hw! DD is in a mixed class of grades 3-4-5 and has had 2 assignments so far: one was a show n' tell type thing and the other was to write 3 testable questions for an object on an index card. Last year, the homework was optional and we never did it. I am really glad there is not more hw; the kids do the work in school and there is very little drilling or memorization or worksheets. I rarely had hw as a kid so I would be unhappy if dd had hours of extra work to do. I didn't consider the school's hw policy when choosing the school, but now I would absolutely ask about it if we had to change schools since it seems to vary so widely.
I have a friend whose daughter was in the same school as mine, some years ago. They didn't do the weekly projects then. What I like about it is that it encourages the kids to explore things that interest them and then think about how to share the information with classmates and teachers.

Mom of two girls.
#29 of 43 Old 09-28-2010, 10:29 PM

I have a kindergartener and a 2nd grader in PA. The kinder has homework 2-3days a week. It usually takes 5-10 minutes. The 2nd grader has homework 3-4 days a week. Usually 2-3 sheets that take him 10- 15 minutes and sometimes reading on top of that.

Marie-Mom to two boys and a girl.
#30 of 43 Old 09-29-2010, 11:58 AM

I have one in K and one in 1st. We're in Wisconsin

Last year for K, my DS had homework sent home only on Friday - it usually only took him 5 minutes (or less) to complete - unless he had work sent home to finish that he didn't get done in clas.

This year in K, (different teacher) we've yet to see any homework come home for DD- just lots of encouragement to read to her often. DD makes up her own "homework" though and is often practicing whatever she is working on at school at home.

Now in 1st, we have a monthly homework calendar that has an "assignment" every night - some are actual assignments (write teacher a note using this weeks spelling words) and others not so much (call grandma/grandpa and tell them what an awesome 1st grader you are). The longest he's spent on any of these assignments is about 15 minutes. The monthly homework is turned in at the end of the month, so if you don't get to it on it's assigned date, no big deal. In addition to the homework calendar, he has nightly reading - 2 small books that take less than 10 minutes each for him to read.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page