Carpool parents - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 36 Old 10-01-2010, 03:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ds would have to leave much earlier to catch the bus and I'd prefer to drive the 3 miles than stand at a bus stop waiting. Also, he's in kinder, I'm sure there would be some "fretting" involved with waiting at first.

To me, it's a lot more pressure getting to a bus stop on time from work, than getting to the school. What if there is something holding up traffic? While I know that the driver wouldn't let him off without me there, I would still worry. At this point I feel like our day is generally easier by driving.
#32 of 36 Old 10-01-2010, 05:50 PM
MJB

My son would have to be at the bus stop 1/2 mile from our house an hour before school starts. I can drive him in 10 minutes. He wants to ride the bus so I'm going to let him try it out but it just doesn't make much sense to me.
#33 of 36 Old 10-01-2010, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyoxenfree View Post
I wonder because the bullying they avoided on the school bus just takes place on the playground and in the hallways and bathrooms and on social networking sites instead. I wonder because any drugs available on the school bus are also going to be offered on the school grounds and in the bathrooms and at the parties my high schoolers attend.
You can avoid bathrooms, walk/run away on the playground, but on the bus you are trapped with one preoccupied adult.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#34 of 36 Old 10-04-2010, 01:18 PM

When my dd went to ps the first time she rode the bus.The school is 2 minutes from us.She was the last picked up and the last dropped off.The next year when she and ds were going to ps the district decided that instead of picking the kids up at the end of the drive I had to cross a busy road and walk about 500 feet to a new bus stop.No other kids there just mine.I said forget it I will drive.Never much liked the idea of seatbelt laws for cars,and nothing to secure them in buses.

On a final note I really don't like how so many bus drivers are driving these days.Often they speed and are inches behind my car.Driving them atleast the kids are in seatbelts and there is not extra travel time as compared with the bus ride.

I let dd ride the bus so she could see what it was like.She likes the car ride much better.
#35 of 36 Old 10-09-2010, 02:25 AM

I pick up my kids one day a week only because my DD has dance class right after school and if I let her take the bus home, she would not make it to dance class in time. Her dance school is in the opposite direction from the school as our house. I hate doing pick up at my older kids school with a passion. The parking lot is small and way too many cars. Also if they are going home, they are the first stop and actually get home faster than if I drove them home. In the morning, they are the first on the bus and have a LONG ride. The two boys have friends on the bus so they don't mind it. My DD has been known to do her reading log reading on the bus.
#36 of 36 Old 10-14-2010, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
The bus drivers near me are safe drivers. There's enough competition for jobs right now; anybody caught driving unsafely won't remain a school bus driver very long. And I don't worry about the lack of seatbelts in the bus because statistically, kids are safer in the school bus than they are in a car, even in the best carseat. School buses are safe vehicles, period.

The elementary school is 1.75 miles from our house, the middle school 1/4 mile, and the high school 1.6 miles (in the opposite direction from the elementary school.)

Last year, DD2 walked to middle school every day because it was faster than waiting for the bus. DS takes the bus most of the time to and from elementary school, but I do end up driving him on days that we're running late. Some days, when he's a little under the weather and easily over-stimulated, I'll drive him even if we're not running late, so the ride to school is less stimulating for him and he can focus better in class. But I won't do that daily because it's a waste of gas money- I don't mind driving him to school on days I'm going out anyway, but there are days when I don't use my car at all.

DD always take the bus to school. When she stays late for extra help or a club, she usually takes the late bus home, but sometimes I'll pick her up because the late bus often comes half an hour after her club is over. I pick her up every Wednesday because she has a club after school AND a youth group meeting in the evening, and she needs that extra half hour or so for homework.

DD1 is in a private school this year (with private bussing, in a van with normal seatbelts) but she HATED the late bus from the public high school last year. It was very crowded, and the one time she took it she sat between two boys having a very lewd discussion that offended her. DD2 has taken the same bus many times without that experience.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page