Race to Nowhere-the film - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-27-2010, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone seen this documentary yet? I know that there are screenings scheduled in the next couple weeks, but I'm getting the sense that there have been screenings already and I'd love to hear thoughts. My girls' Waldorf school is hosting a screening next week but only myself or DH can attend since one of us has to stay home with the littles. Not sure how hard I should work when I arm wrestle him for it

From what I could gather from the trailer it looks like it's sort of the other end of the spectrum from Waiting for Superman....rather than looking at the limited access to quality education for lower income youth it looks at the educational stressors/pressure on kids to "get ahead/achieve" at the expense of their developmental, physical, and emotional health.

Wife to my DH Mama to my two girls  hearts.gif'03 and love.gif '06 and my sweet babyboy.gif 3-'10 I am blessed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2010, 06:42 PM

A friend and I are going to see it on Oct. 4. Can't wait to hear and I'll let you know what I think!

An incredibly thankful SAH Mommy to 3 fiendishly enchanting girls 11/04,10/05, & 12/06. 

Old 01-26-2011, 09:52 AM

Wondering if anyone has seen this & has thoughts? A few of our public school PTSA's will be showing it this week after hours to parents...

Old 01-26-2011, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

I saw it and I would very much recommend it. I think that it's wonderful that so many schools are now holding screenings of the film. I hope that it's a first step in not only recognizing where the education system is losing sight of the ultimate goal of stimulating true learning and lifelong learners and that the conversation/change doesn't just end with screenings. 

If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to address them to the best of my ability.

Wife to my DH Mama to my two girls  hearts.gif'03 and love.gif '06 and my sweet babyboy.gif 3-'10 I am blessed.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:21 PM

I saw it. It was so good. I kept agreeing with everything they were saying in the film! My oldest DD has such a hard time at school that she wanted to go to a boarding school! She just wanted to get away from it all. We live in Illinois, and there is SO MUCH pressure on kids to do well in school and go to the best colleges, and even high schools in Chicago! It's ridiculous. My oldest had a nervous breakdown in sixth grade basically, she had SUCH a hard time. She literally remembers very little about it, and that was just two years ago. I could go on and on about it. :)

Raising three crazy girls in a loving home in IL. One notes.gif lil writer, bellyhair.gifActor (not belly dancer! Please!) and of course, our lil one says asl.gifgrouphug.gif "We're all in this together"... (high school musical-- EEP!).

User Tag List