Is this common... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 34 Old 10-06-2010, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattemma04 View Post
The kids in our local M have done it.Dd recently went to Turkey and I asked dh to make sure he got stuff for her to pass out.Unfortunately he did not get 25 of the same thing.I put together a bunch of stuff for her classmates to pick from(keychains,magnets,crafty stuff),and all went well.Next time though I want 25 of the same.I don't want anyone to feel slighted. The cost was low.In Turkey the evil eye stuff is common so that is what I had them buy as gifts.
http://www.business-with-turkey.com/...r_boncuk.shtml
My dh is from Istanbul. We see his family often.

I can't think of something like the evil eye that is Italian.
#32 of 34 Old 10-06-2010, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalaland42 View Post
We live in Switzerland and my nephew (in the states) had an assignment where he had to write a letter to someone. So he wrote to his cousin (my DD). We sent him a card back with a Swiss flag sticker - the kind that goes on race cars - and enough ladybug stickers for everyone in the class. I wrote in the card that in Switzerland, lady bugs are considered good luck and talked a little more about that. Anyway. The whole thing cost 12 SFr incl postage and it had something to do with Swiss culture.
I think stickers (and stationery in general) is a good idea.
#33 of 34 Old 10-06-2010, 05:14 PM

To get a nice book for the school library, you don't need to go to a tourist shop. The larger book shops in the city will have foreign language "coffee table" and guide books. The coffee table books are usually really nice and have great pictures. Plus there are the museum book shops (not the gift shops, the book shops). I almost always get something out of the book shop.
#34 of 34 Old 10-06-2010, 05:29 PM

I have never heard of that before, so no, I don't think it's common.

I do think it's a very cool idea, though, as long as the item isn't very expensive. I think the idea of souvenir pens is a good one. I also think that unused postage stamps would be great, as would coins from the place you are going, perhaps new, uncirculated ones that you could pick up at a bank. Children LOVE to collect stamps and coins from other countries.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page