Is this common... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 34 Old 09-28-2010, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
... because in dd's school it seems to be. If someone goes on a trip during school, it's kind of expected that you bring back souvenirs for everyone. Granted it's a private school and there are only 11 kids in her 3rd grade class (so not a lot to buy for), but now I'm wondering about what in the world to bring back to these kids!
#2 of 34 Old 09-28-2010, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I think some folks do it to show off. I have sent postcards in to pass around from some cool place we visited but I did not go so far as to get a postcard for each and every child.
#3 of 34 Old 09-28-2010, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
It's not common here. If a child goes on a unique trip while school is in session, the child will typically do a presentation as part of their independant study contract. However, I've never known anyone to bring anything back for the kids.

If you feel you must, I'd go with some sort of treat... a chocolate, a cookie, a regional candy. It can be something they can take home so you don't get in trouble for bringing in food during school hours.

Married mom of two, DD 17 and DS 13.
#4 of 34 Old 09-28-2010, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I've never heard of it.

But if it were the "expected" thing and the class was small, I'd go with postcards showing something unique to the area we visited. Inexpensive, compact, and kids seem to like them a lot.

Mom of two girls.
#5 of 34 Old 09-28-2010, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

She'll be doing a presentation. That's a good reminder because we need to do some research ahead of time.

I like the postcard idea. I'm probably going to go with that. There are a lot of food allergies in her class, so bringing back food might not be a good idea... although I could do a combination of treats.

Thanks for the ideas.
#6 of 34 Old 09-28-2010, 02:02 PM

Never heard of that before.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#7 of 34 Old 09-28-2010, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
DD and DS like to bring back souvenirs for their close friends, but they don't do it for the entire class.

I might consider bringing back a children's book by a local author, book of local legends or history stories, children's travel guide or something along those lines to donate to the classroom. It would be fun to visit the class and read from the book and show some photos of the trip too, if the teacher was interested.
#8 of 34 Old 09-28-2010, 02:37 PM

Not common here. Praise the maker.

This is not directed at you but boy do I hate getting tacky little stuff from people just 'cause they went on vacation. I always accept it gracefully but it goes straight to the thrift shop or landfill. I'd much rather just hear the story, thanks.

~ Mum to Emily, March 12-16 2004, Noah, born Aug 2005, Liam, born January 2011, and wife to Carl since 1994. ~
#9 of 34 Old 09-28-2010, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
since its only 11 kids i would definitely be tempted to bring back something. something handwork from the culture - as a learning experience for the kids.

you'd be surprised at what kids like. really. even if its a little box or a coin purse or just a piece of cloth they are taken in by the beauty and story if you have to tell. they treasure them more - esp. if done by a child.

yeah totally a presentation of the trip would be awesome.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#10 of 34 Old 09-28-2010, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post
... because in dd's school it seems to be. If someone goes on a trip during school, it's kind of expected that you bring back souvenirs for everyone. Granted it's a private school and there are only 11 kids in her 3rd grade class (so not a lot to buy for), but now I'm wondering about what in the world to bring back to these kids!
I've never heard of that before.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#11 of 34 Old 09-28-2010, 04:19 PM

Geez, I hope that isn't common! If we go on a trip, DD will usually send a postcard to the home of very close friends. I can't imagine buying a souvenir for every child in a class.

Wife to DH and mama to DD(7) blahblah.gifand DD(5) moon.gif...Lola the Wiener Dog dog2.gif, Faulkner the Little Giant dog2.gif, Ginger the Wonder Cat cat.gif,  Azkaban the blue parakeet, Sunny the yellow parakeet, 3 nameless hermit crabs, and a whole bunch of fish!

#12 of 34 Old 09-28-2010, 04:50 PM

My kids have friends who have brought back shells, sand, other nature finds, etc. from trips. I personally find it difficult to bring that kind of thing back, intact, from trips, but I know my kids treasured those items. Most kids bring pics, postcards or tell something of their trip to the class.
#13 of 34 Old 09-28-2010, 06:00 PM

Some kids have done it here. I wouldn't call it showing off, but sharing their trip. Some kids never get a chance to get outside of the city they live in & now they have a piece of an outside world.

Teachers & kids have done it. If it's something you wish to do then do it, if you don't then don't.
#14 of 34 Old 09-28-2010, 06:13 PM

No, and it wouldn't go over well with the school here.
#15 of 34 Old 09-28-2010, 11:16 PM

My parents always brought me home pens--I love interesting pens and they are practical.

The class gift is a nice idea too.

Oh, to answer the original question, no, it is not expected around here.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#16 of 34 Old 09-29-2010, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Pens are a great idea, Emmeline. I LOVE stationery and stationery stores, and collect pens and notebooks from around the world. I can get some souvenirs pens with Italy on them. That would be compact and light to bring back.
#17 of 34 Old 09-29-2010, 09:53 AM

It is not common here either....

But as a teacher, I would suggest a book for the class/school library about your location!

It is always fun to have books that have personal ties to them, they get a lot of use in the classroom and are popular. We had a student leave school for a week and did a Civil War (Virgina & down south) tour with his family. He brought back a wonderful book on 'Civil War' mysteries (legends, tall tales, haunted houses, unexplained mysteries...) that was VERY popular with the 5th grade. Another student visited India and brought back a beautiful coffee table book of photos. Very pretty, it also got a lot of use---as well as opened a lot of discussion with the student about India. We also had a students another year share a book on caves after visiting Mammoth Cave.

The exception would be if you went to an amusement park or something, then I would likely suggest nothing--or maybe a postcard. Although some of the Amusement parks even have some interesting books on the history/photos (make great writing prompts).

If you travel to another state/region/country/neat location I would try to find a nice age appropriate book (desert animals if you went to Arizona, European castles if you went to Europe, etc). It is not hard to find books on local history, animals, culture, etc
#18 of 34 Old 09-29-2010, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks KCMichigan. Dd is in immersion school, so her class is not in English. It would probably consume too much time trying to find a book about Italy for 3rd graders in her target language (only books in the target language are allowed in class). It'd be a great idea for an English school, though!!
#19 of 34 Old 09-29-2010, 12:05 PM

The children in my son's class at his immersion school which is similar to your DD's school are a bit young yet. Most of the students travel over the summer break when school is not in session, and every six weeks there is a week long break when children travel with their parents.

If a child were to bring back presents and distribute them at school they would be required to bring something for all students in the class. Our school's policy is in place to prevent bullying, hurt feelings and the exclusion of peers.

+ + =
#20 of 34 Old 09-29-2010, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewsMother View Post
The children in my son's class at his immersion school which is similar to your DD's school are a bit young yet. Most of the students travel over the summer break when school is not in session, and every six weeks there is a week long break when children travel with their parents.

If a child were to bring back presents and distribute them at school they would be required to bring something for all students in the class. Our school's policy is in place to prevent bullying, hurt feelings and the exclusion of peers.
Yes, this is how they do it at dd's school. Same situation. The families are from SOOOO many different countries and they do travel to see these families on school breaks, and the kids always bring back something for every child in the class. With less than a dozen kids per class this isn't that big a deal, but I don't think we'd want to do this if class sizes were 30+ kids. We'd never bring back something for just a few. It's all or none. We traveled *a lot* up to 1st grade during summer breaks, but haven't done much during the school year for the last couple of years. I don't feel obligated to do this over summer breaks.
#21 of 34 Old 09-29-2010, 06:45 PM

Around here, very rarely does a student go on a trip in the middle of the year and usually it's for something other than vacation (i.e. someone in the family dies). Families here just plan their vacations to happen during the summer, winter, or spring breaks.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#22 of 34 Old 09-30-2010, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post
Around here, very rarely does a student go on a trip in the middle of the year and usually it's for something other than vacation (i.e. someone in the family dies). Families here just plan their vacations to happen during the summer, winter, or spring breaks.
Same here. This is over fall break.
#23 of 34 Old 09-30-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Same here. This is over fall break.
I love the fact that our schools has a Fall, Winter and Spring Break in addition to the Christmas Holiday break in December. Essentially every 6 weeks students and families have a chance to take vacations without interrupting school studies.

+ + =
#24 of 34 Old 09-30-2010, 10:43 AM

It isn't common in DS's school, but every now and then it is done.

My thoughts on things to bring back that aren't just junky plastic but are still inexpensive.
  • A few coins to start a collection. This was more fun before there were euros, but possibly you could get your hands on some old lira (should that be lira, lire or liras for the plural?) that are still kicking around.
  • Postage stamps to start a collection.
  • "Hello my name is..." stickers in Italian.

If you are willing/able to spend a bit of money on this, I would go with the PP who mentioned stationary. Italy happens to have some very very fine stationary, such as Amalfi.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#25 of 34 Old 09-30-2010, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Eepster, I was the one that mentioned stationery and no, I'm not going to spend that kind of money on the kids for the class. The current journal I'm writing in is from a trip to Venice and while it is pure bliss to write on this paper, I spent *a lot* for it. Even the smaller items run $30+. I think a pen is probably the answer.
#26 of 34 Old 09-30-2010, 11:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Someone probably did it so the next guy did it and then the next guy did it and by then it was what was done.

That said there are only 11 kids. I think it would be fun to bring back a little something for them. My most treasured souvenir ever was a bottle of pepsi. yep. Pepsi but it came from Russia within a year of the fall of communism. It was sooooo cool. You know, because it was written in Cyrillic. And Russia was still really exotic...

If you are going somewhere with a different language i think it is fun to bring back common American stuff with a different language on it. Small coins from another country are ridiculously cool as well. Also post cards, shells, some clichéd little craft. All super fun and relatively inexpensive. For school a souvenir pencil is always good.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#27 of 34 Old 10-01-2010, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Thanks KCMichigan. Dd is in immersion school, so her class is not in English. It would probably consume too much time trying to find a book about Italy for 3rd graders in her target language (only books in the target language are allowed in class). It'd be a great idea for an English school, though!!
You might be surprised. Try gift shops at attractions, they often have those stacks of one guidebook in seventeen different languages. It shouldn't be hard to find one in Spanish.
#28 of 34 Old 10-01-2010, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicateflower View Post
You might be surprised. Try gift shops at attractions, they often have those stacks of one guidebook in seventeen different languages. It shouldn't be hard to find one in Spanish.
That's a good idea. We usually avoid those places like the plague, but it would be worthwhile to add to our souvenir stash.
#29 of 34 Old 10-04-2010, 01:24 PM

The kids in our local M have done it.Dd recently went to Turkey and I asked dh to make sure he got stuff for her to pass out.Unfortunately he did not get 25 of the same thing.I put together a bunch of stuff for her classmates to pick from(keychains,magnets,crafty stuff),and all went well.Next time though I want 25 of the same.I don't want anyone to feel slighted. The cost was low.In Turkey the evil eye stuff is common so that is what I had them buy as gifts.
http://www.business-with-turkey.com/...r_boncuk.shtml
#30 of 34 Old 10-06-2010, 08:41 AM
Banned

We live in Switzerland and my nephew (in the states) had an assignment where he had to write a letter to someone. So he wrote to his cousin (my DD). We sent him a card back with a Swiss flag sticker - the kind that goes on race cars - and enough ladybug stickers for everyone in the class. I wrote in the card that in Switzerland, lady bugs are considered good luck and talked a little more about that. Anyway. The whole thing cost 12 SFr incl postage and it had something to do with Swiss culture.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page