Is this normal? Can only donate Pepsi stuff cause of contract? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 48 Old 10-04-2010, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Every day I wish a little more that I was in a position to homeschool again

So a paper comes home from the elementary school (both ds go there) that the fall festival is coming up and they are looking for donations. It has it listed out for each grade level a certain soda to donate (fwiw, one ds is supposed to bring Mt. Dew and the other Diet Pepsi... both fall into the "hell to the nah" category of things that my kids don't consume ) and at the end there is an apology for only wanting donations of Pepsi products but that the school board has a contract with them...

Now, I want to know if this is normal before I go letter writing to the school board. I mean I can put aside that I don't think that the school board should have a contract with any soft drink co but I do remember coke only machines in my high school. However, since when does that dictate what parents can donate for after school events?

This is a tree on fire with love, but it's still scary since most people think love only looks like one thing instead of the whole world. *
#2 of 48 Old 10-04-2010, 11:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What would you write to the school board?
#3 of 48 Old 10-05-2010, 12:04 AM

Depends on the contract. It is possible that the district accepted a policy to have only one product on campus, in exchange for a higher percentage of sales. Frito Lay, for example, can fire it's delivery workers for having non-FL products in the home. Not kidding...my BIL freaked when we brought some other chips when we stayed for the holidays.

Nine kids run.gif and four angel.gif, living and learning all the time

#4 of 48 Old 10-05-2010, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter

Wow... That's very interesting... So if I were to have a birthday party in class for one of them, they could restrict what I bring based on that (which is different than for health reasons which make complete sense) or what a kid brings in his lunch? I never would have thought...

This is a tree on fire with love, but it's still scary since most people think love only looks like one thing instead of the whole world. *
#5 of 48 Old 10-05-2010, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBronsil View Post
What would you write to the school board?

Well, if multimomma is correct, that absurdity of such a contract... Not to mention not bring allowed to donate because I'm certainly not going to contribute
something that I wouldn't consume myself, or allow my kids to consume

#6 of 48 Old 10-05-2010, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter

Which is not to say that we *have* to donate... Cept my boys like to give :-)

#7 of 48 Old 10-05-2010, 12:39 AM

You have to donate soda at all? That's what would bug me more than type of soda.

(Also, from a financial standpoint, it'd make more sense to get donations of money from the families and send someone with all the money to Costco/Sams and get as many cases of soda as they can. The price per can in bulk is significantly less.)
#8 of 48 Old 10-05-2010, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter

Yup... Soda is the only thing... I'd be happy to bake something or donate food or whatever... But nope. Ds2 is to bring mt. Dew and ds1 is to bring diet pepsi...

#9 of 48 Old 10-05-2010, 12:55 AM

All I can say is wow. We have our fall carnival in 2 weeks and besides what Izze donates there will be no soda. My kids are teens and have never even had a Mt Dew.
#10 of 48 Old 10-05-2010, 01:55 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
our school does not ask for specific things, but for most activities they do have soda on hand too. for the parents and the children who drink. but they also have juice boxes and water. they have a list of things the parents can ask for if they want to contribute. i have never seen that list but i think it might have sodas.

but no i have never heard of one brand. however it makes sense if they do.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#11 of 48 Old 10-05-2010, 02:23 AM

I think maybe someone is misunderstanding the contract. Likely the school board has a contract with pepsi so that any cafeteria or machine can only sell pepsi products. But I highly doubt that actually extends to donations that are not being purchased with school funds.

Oy.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#12 of 48 Old 10-05-2010, 02:23 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Holy Crap!! So much wrong with that...can't even begin. Yes, write a letter...lots of letters!! Letter after letter.

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#13 of 48 Old 10-05-2010, 10:19 AM

Take Aquafina water. It is bottled by Pepsi.

+ + =
#14 of 48 Old 10-05-2010, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewsMother View Post
Take Aquafina water. It is bottled by Pepsi.
That is for the fifth grade to bring...

Hell, I would be okay with Sierra Mist since they recently stopped using HFCS, but I don't have a third grader

#15 of 48 Old 10-05-2010, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguard View Post
I think maybe someone is misunderstanding the contract. Likely the school board has a contract with pepsi so that any cafeteria or machine can only sell pepsi products. But I highly doubt that actually extends to donations that are not being purchased with school funds.

Oy.
That's what I would think as well... I mean not even addressing the level of wrongness I feel there is with having soda machines for elementary school kids (which I don't know of there being for sure, and since it is a district wide thing, there may be none for the younger kids... teachers lounges maybe) but I think it has got to be a misinterpretation of the contract, or at least I would hope it would be and not a ridiculously strict clause like the PPs fritolay example.

#16 of 48 Old 10-05-2010, 11:59 AM

Oh, no!! Is this an elementary school? :-( Mama, I would seriously contact Campaign For A Commercial Free Childhood and see if you can get them on your school district's case. I, personally, would skip the district and write directly to the state. I know we all hear shocking things all day but I can say that this is the craziest thing I feel like I've read about in a long time.

#17 of 48 Old 10-05-2010, 12:01 PM

i don't know how i feel about this... on one hand it seems so wrong, but I know in my highschool, brandinding like this paid for a lot of extracurriculars. (we live in a hs football town).

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#18 of 48 Old 10-05-2010, 01:05 PM

I've certainly seen this kind of thing happen at the university level. I've also know the details of the soft drink contracts to be secret. Universities that make the details of their contracts available to the student body usually can't negotiate as good of a contract.

It's depressing that this stuff is happening in elementary schools.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!
#19 of 48 Old 10-05-2010, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Wow. Our schools have no-soft drink policies in place. In the middle school, there are vending machines (Coke or Pepsi, can't recall), mostly because there is a parallel community recreation program that uses the school facilities after school and on weekends. They are stocked with water and juice - no carbonated drinks from those companies. I can't recall ever seeing soft drinks at school events. Even the school formal and graduation dances only offered water or juice.

I think it's worth taking up with the school/school board - whoever entered into the contract. Even if they need the corporate funding, those companies have lots of beverage options. The schools don't have to allow soda. And yes, I know the sugar content is just as bad in juice and bottled water has lots of other issues. Either is a better option than soda though, which has no redeeming value at all.
#20 of 48 Old 10-05-2010, 01:56 PM

Nothing useful to say about the contract -- but I'm shocked, honestly shocked, that they are demanding that you bring soda. That's terrible.

Academic mama to Miss T. (09/05) and Miss V. (05/09).
Oh, and (hence )
#21 of 48 Old 10-05-2010, 02:06 PM

Yes, it happens. Yes, they can do it. And yes, they probably DO mean even donated items.

My mom teaches at a school that has a contract like this. The school has major funding issues and they're a special ed heavy school, so they have very high needs. They were essentially forced into one of these contracts, and it is very unfortunate.

The teachers, even, are only allowed to drink beverages of the sponsored company if it's a labeled container.
#22 of 48 Old 10-05-2010, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

I really appreciate the input. I have had lots of issues at the school and I am aware that can sometimes cause me to be a little more harsh/judgemental...

I am going to write to the school board to make sure that it is am accurate interpretation of the contract and if so, to be a voice of dissent in regards to it.

Anyone care to give me an idea on what to write?

#23 of 48 Old 10-05-2010, 05:22 PM

This is why voting on the school board elections is very very important. Make sure that you mention that you will be voting during the next election in your letter.

My guess is that a big part of the reason the teachers sent a letter of apology was b/c they were hoping it might spur some parents into writing to the school board. Possibly you could get together with some of the other parents and the teachers, and come up with a form for the letter than all the parents could send them.

Also, check you towns calendar to see when the next board of ed meeting is taking place. Let everyone know about it and show up at it.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#24 of 48 Old 10-05-2010, 05:33 PM

CCFC is on this already. They're a great organization if you don't already know about them.

"I recently blogged about questions regarding how PepsiCo's voluntary beverage guidelines, announced in March, would be implemented in schools given that contracts are made at the local level."

http://commercialfreechildhood.blogs...o-stealth.html

Strange stuff:

"This past March, soft drink giant PepsiCo announced with much fanfare a new global school policy. The specific guidelines, to take effect by 2012, limit the types of beverages that are to be sold in schools. According to the press release, the policy will "stop sales of full-sugar soft drinks to primary and secondary schools."

http://commercialfreechildhood.blogs...w-pepsico.html

#25 of 48 Old 10-05-2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post
This is why I am so happy we homeschool. No limitations on what we can eat/drink. sheezez. Too much litigagation for 2nd grade if you ask me
Did you vote to approve the budget during the last local election?

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#26 of 48 Old 10-05-2010, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama View Post
I always thought it was kind of rude for homeschoolers to post this on threads about parents struggling with an issue about school. FYI.
I have to agree that it stings a little bit, especially since I expressly stated my regret at simply not being able to homeschooling right now

#27 of 48 Old 10-05-2010, 06:21 PM

I would get clarification and find out why they needed the funding?

Sadly, many schools do need extra revenue to help makes end meet.

And yes, I would be annoyed at having send in pop. Our local pre-k started a healthy treat only policy but it wasn't school wide. I loved sending in a fruit tray or cheese etc, and the kids loved it as well.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#28 of 48 Old 10-05-2010, 06:56 PM

The school may have a contract, but you don't, do you really have to follow their contract?
#29 of 48 Old 10-05-2010, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackenzie View Post
I really appreciate the input. I have had lots of issues at the school and I am aware that can sometimes cause me to be a little more harsh/judgemental...

I am going to write to the school board to make sure that it is am accurate interpretation of the contract and if so, to be a voice of dissent in regards to it.

Anyone care to give me an idea on what to write?
You need to consider what your objections are: is it to commercial corporate contracts as a source of fundraising or is it to the specific contractual terms that prohibit other company's products in the school? One is a more philosophical argument about selling our schools (and our children) as advertising space and a monopolistic distribution pipeline. The other is more practical - not everyone wants to be limited to PepsiCo beverages, for a variety of reasons. Health is probably the most persuasive, but there's also a simple freedom of choice argument to be made.

Once you've identified your issue, outline all of your arguments.

Finally, identify what action you want the school board to take to remedy the problem. Suggest some solutions.

Here is a list of PepsiCo Brands. Tropicana and Aquafina products - juices and water - would be more appropriate for schools, IMO.
#30 of 48 Old 10-05-2010, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishmommy View Post
The school may have a contract, but you don't, do you really have to follow their contract?

Apparently, if we choose to donate to this particular event...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page