HS to PS During the Year - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 10-06-2010, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Public school here started August 2. We filled out our paperwork to homeschool at that point. DS is a K student. My reasoning largely rested on the fact that he's 2-3 years minimum ahead academically, and our school district really does *not* differentiate for students lower than fourth grade.

Fast forward 2 months, and this isn't working. It's simply not working out for us. He wants to go to school as long as I can still find a Spanish class for him. (He's taking Spanish in a co-op and loves it.) I don't think finding a 1-1 tutor for him would be a problem, so that's doable. He said that he doesn't like spending all day with me anymore.

So, has anyone successfully made the transition from homeschool to public school during the school year?

It's us: DH , DS ; DD ; and me . Also there's the . And the 3 . I . Oh, and .
#2 of 12 Old 10-06-2010, 02:56 PM
EVC

Well, I don't know the circumstances, but I can say that dd's kindergarten class has received three new students in the past two weeks. So I don't think it's entirely uncommon to start in even at this somewhat late date. And if he's ahead academically, he won't really have missed anything in terms of curriculum, and I think the teachers are usually experienced with helping late comers integrate socially into the classrooms.

PhDin' mama to dd (Oct. 2005)
#3 of 12 Old 10-06-2010, 08:41 PM

We are trying to decide if now would be an ok time for ds to make the transition from hs to ps, too. But for first grade.

I do not have any real input for you - since we haven't done it yet. But I do worry that starting now will be difficult. Being the "new kid" and all.

Good luck with whatever you decide. And hopefully you get some good advice here.

Jess
SAHM to E and L
#4 of 12 Old 10-06-2010, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
One of my DDs transitioned from homeschooloing to school during the school year. She ended up starting the week after Thanksgiving.

It wasn't ideal, but it was the best option we had at the time. It worked out OK.

GOOD LUCK!

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#5 of 12 Old 10-07-2010, 04:51 AM

Kind of a different situation, but we're thinking of moving DS from one local public school to the local waldorf school. We're waiting for the upcoming Fall break (week after next). It seems like more of a . .. . well . . . natural transition point for him. Would this be an option for your family? (if there's a Fall break coming up?)

DS went to an American public school kindergarten when we were in the US for my job. He did start immediately after the Christmas break, but other kids came in (and left) throughout the five months we were there. So it seems quite normal for public schools, especially at the kindergarten level. FWIW, DS' kindy teacher was *fabulous* about integrating new students.

I'm sorry HSing isn't working out for you but think you're wise to know what is right for your family. good luck!
#6 of 12 Old 10-07-2010, 08:30 PM

I've been hs'ing my 8 yo for 3yrs (and my 6yo for 2) and we are just about to the point that school is going to have to happen. Long story short, my DH suddenly and unexpectedly lost his job the first of September, and while he has found another... the pay is not even close, so I am likely going to have to go to work. And it's 2/3 of the way through our school year... but there just may not be a choice at this point. I am sure your son will adapt well, especially since he wants to go to school. My kids on the other hand... do not

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#7 of 12 Old 10-07-2010, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Kids come and go all the time to the classroom for various reasons. Not all are HS to PS, familes relocate, change schools, change custody, etc. If you and DS decide to enter school there should be no issues. Really, a 'new kid' isnt that huge a deal these days.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#8 of 12 Old 10-18-2010, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I posted this thread & then tried to ignore it.

DH & I talked this weekend, and he feels very strongly that we need to put DS is public school & DD in daycare. I'm still not entirely convinced, but DH rarely is a "putting my foot down" kind of person. So, I called our neighborhood school this morning and spoke at length to the assistant principal. I have to gather up the requisite forms and send him in. The AP said he will work on a classroom placement for us today and let the teacher know, so we can start tomorrow if we want. I'm panicking. I feel sick to my stomach.

We did talk a bit about DS' math abilities. I'm okay with a wait & see approach for right now, but it's an issue for the long-term. They're going to put him in and make his teacher aware of the concern, and then she'll evaluate him once he's acclimated to the classroom. So I feel better about that but upset about the whole prospect for reasons I can't really articulate. I went to public school - and not a very good one - and I was fine. DH was, too, but I'm just nervous.

#9 of 12 Old 10-18-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionaryMom View Post
DH & I talked this weekend, and he feels very strongly that we need to put DS is public school & DD in daycare.
Did he say *why*? Sometimes looking at the *whys* is helpful to me.

Quote:
I have to gather up the requisite forms and send him in. The AP said he will work on a classroom placement for us today and let the teacher know, so we can start tomorrow if we want.
it took me longer than that to do the forms. Every state is different, but we had a lot of paperwork, some of which needed to be signed by different people (including our family doctor).

Quote:
So I feel better about that but upset about the whole prospect for reasons I can't really articulate.

I knew that starting school was best for both my kids (they started at different times) and yet I was really scared too. It was a big letting go, and for me, I felt like a bit of a failure that homeschooling didn't work for us anymore. My ideal of what their education would be like the reality of what was best for them was out of sync, and coming to accept that was upsetting for me.

Since you are upset, I thought it might help to hear why the same thing was upsetting *for me,* even though your reasons are most likely different.

It's scary to let go.

#10 of 12 Old 10-18-2010, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda on the move View Post
Did he say *why*? Sometimes looking at the *whys* is helpful to me.
I quit work in June 2004 to freelance before DS was born. We've been on this crazy roller-coaster for 6 years now. Truth be told, I'd have been better off hiring a nanny when they were babies & toddlers and being with them now. I had horrible PPD, ended up in a psych hospital, and just generally struggled. I've been recently diagnosed with PCOS, which has taken a tremendous toll on our lives.

We're in many ways still recovering from years of turmoil, and DH feels that adding homeschooling on top of everything else means that we won't recover fully until the kids are grown. The bigger issue is me not working. DH wants me to get a typical 9-5, and I don't want to. So we'll give it a month from the kids' start dates to settle into that routine & then hash out the work situation.

Quote:
it took me longer than that to do the forms. Every state is different, but we had a lot of paperwork, some of which needed to be signed by different people (including our family doctor).
Since we didn't know what we were doing wrt school, I got the forms all signed when we had our check-ups earlier this year for vision & teeth. The only one I will need is the physical form, which we're getting Wednesday. I'm glad I have the forms because it won't drag out the process. Plus they're having their "fall festival" Friday night, so I'm hoping that helps us (okay, mostly me) feel part of the school community.

Quote:

I knew that starting school was best for both my kids (they started at different times) and yet I was really scared too. It was a big letting go, and for me, I felt like a bit of a failure that homeschooling didn't work for us anymore. My ideal of what their education would be like the reality of what was best for them was out of sync, and coming to accept that was upsetting for me.

Since you are upset, I thought it might help to hear why the same thing was upsetting *for me,* even though your reasons are most likely different.

It's scary to let go.
No, it's a pretty similar thing. I think my view of how homeschooling would go was this wonderful, awe-inspiring experience - sun shining, birds singing, us laughing merrily while learning. Yeah...didn't look that way. Plus I realized that while it worked great for math, it was because there was no teaching and a shared love there. When it came to reading, though, I just wanted to pull out my hair, and I realized that teaching him the full range of subjects he needs to be productive, well-rounded, etc., just wasn't going to be likely. Still that acknowledgment is an emotional zinger.

#11 of 12 Old 10-18-2010, 03:23 PM
MJB

My 2nd grader just went from HS to PS a couple weeks ago. He's doing fine! He was homeschooled for K and public schooled for 1st; we moved and were not happy with our original school placement so we HS'ed while we were working on getting into a better school. His new school is a Montessori magnet and he's pretty happy there. It was a very smooth transition even though he started the day after we found out he got in.
#12 of 12 Old 10-18-2010, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionaryMom View Post
We've been on this crazy roller-coaster for 6 years now. ...I've been recently diagnosed with PCOS, which has taken a tremendous toll on our lives.
It sounds like your DH wants the kids in school/day care so that you can take care of yourself.

Quote:
The bigger issue is me not working. DH wants me to get a typical 9-5, and I don't want to. So we'll give it a month from the kids' start dates to settle into that routine & then hash out the work situation.
that's a whole different question and doesn't have to be tied together.

Taking care of myself was also part of our reason for the kids to be school (there were other reasons too) and it took a while of just having a break every day for me to feel like myself again.

Quote:
I think my view of how homeschooling would go was this wonderful, awe-inspiring experience - sun shining, birds singing, us laughing merrily while learning.
I enjoy my kids more now that they are in school. I'm not sure that we spend less quality time together, either, as we make better use of the after school, evenings, and weekend time blocks. I was really burned out. It was affecting my interactions with them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page