School Shoes for Winter - Soft Stars? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-06-2010, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS is 5 years old. Goes to public kindergarten and LOVES it. Boot season is coming, usually lasting from mid-December - through March. He has school sneakers that he can get off and on himself. I'd like to buy him a pair of Soft Star Shoes (he's never had any) and am not sure I can justify the cost. He does have shoes that fit. But likely by then he will be outgrowing them....

Any school goers wear Soft Stars to school??

JoAnn Married almost 12 years to DH Chris.  DS1 01/05 DS2 09/09 DS3 05/12.

#2 of 5 Old 10-06-2010, 11:22 PM

I think a pair of comfy sneakers that he can take on and off by himself would be best. If I remember correctly soft stars are kind of really flexible (leather?) soled shoes... a bit like robeez??? (Sorry, we did have a pair at one time but it's been years and I've kind of forgotten what they were like). If so then I'd say he'd do better with the sneakers, esp for gym time. I'd also worry about the soft stars getting kind of trashed. At least here the shoes still get pretty mucked up on the bottom from all the slush (salty slush no less) that gets tracked into the cloak room on the kids' boots.

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#3 of 5 Old 10-07-2010, 10:57 AM

I don't know if this is an issue in your school or not, but slippers wouldn't work here. The kids have to have shoes on that they can walk outside in in case of a fire drill, or some other sort of evacuation. They can't stop to change into boots or other shoes during a fire drill. Just something to consider.
#4 of 5 Old 10-07-2010, 06:55 PM

If they encouraged kids to wear slippers during the day they would be nice, but in the school I teach in kids have to wear regular outdoor shoes all day. I know some people wear soft stars outside, but I don't think they would be practical for a kid in school. The shoes he's wearing will be the ones he uses for gym class, indoor recess, and any other indoor active activity.
#5 of 5 Old 10-07-2010, 09:04 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Around here shoes must be hard soled. Anything like soft soled that you mentioned would not be allowed. There are many 'hazards' in a classroom as well as the need for firedrills, PE class, etc shoes like that just wont cut it.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page