Join Date: Apr 2005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010
DS is in second grade this year. They have started a new thing for homework this year, where they have a "homework menu". There are 16 choices, 4 in spelling, 4 in math, 4 in reading, and 4 in science social studies. We are supposed to do 4 each week till all are done, and then get another menu. Here they are for this time:
1. Do you have your own idea? What is it? Complete your idea.
2. Secret Agent Words Number the alphabet from 1 to 26, and then convert your words to a number code.
3. Make a set of flashcards to study your words. Use the flashcards to study.
4. Write a "lost and found" ad for one of your spelling words. In the ad, describe the missing word so that someone else will recognize it immediately!
5. Create an original game using the facts you have learned.
6. Identify four ways the concepts in this unit are used in the real world.
7. Design a robot using only one shape. Choose a square, circle, rectangle, hexagon, octagon, or triangle. Everything on your robot has to be that shape.
8. Define five of the unit's vocabulary words with sketches or drawings.
Reading: List title and author of book used for each activity.
9. Write a poem about two main events in the story.
10. Write a song about one of the main events in the story.
11. Create a puppet that looks like the main character in the story.
12. Create a Venn Diagram comparing and contrasting two characters in the story.
13. Build a model or diorama to illustrate what you have learned.
14. Write a report relating to our Science or Social Studies topic.
15. Design a science experiment about the topic.
16. Make and share a science puzzle.
Is this something just in my area/school, or do any of your second graders have homework similar to this? What do you think of it? Definitely different from anything I ever had in second grade...
OMG. This is absolute nightmare. There is no way a second grader can complete all this work totally by himself. Probably you would ended up doing much of it yourself. Some of the assignments are very strange and poorly explained. Especially this one about an "idea". Idea of what??? What happens if you do not complete all this staff in time?
After 4 weeks, all items will be done, so 4 items per week, but in whatever order you want...you could start with one of each, all one subject, 2 from 2 different subjects, etc., but eventually all 16 have to be completed.
Posted via Mobile Device
I am just trying to get a feel for if this type of homework is a new trend, or just something "different"? The only other reason I can think of for the "different" homework might be that his school is in the process of becoming certified as an IB "Primary Years Program" school, and maybe they are using this as part of that?
In that case, I wouldn't like it at all. Homeworks should be something they can do alone. Some of those projects are WAY to much for 2nd grade hw.
|42 members and 10,311 guests|
|abelitz , AlaskAnne , AlexBrown , Alison's Mom , Ashley4490 , bananabee , bluefaery , BluePhoenixMama , ChantalM , Daffodil , ellier , emily_elysia , etonwater , Incubator , Iron Princess , joandsarah77 , katelove , LiLStar , lioralourie , lovelylisa , marrykhush1990 , melvinh , mgold , Milk8shake , moominmamma , MountainMamaGC , OliviaA , pers , PP Kids , prosciencemum , SandiMae , sarafl , Tigerle , Tiny Teaching , TourmalineMama , typebug , zannster , zebra15|
|Most users ever online was 449,755, 06-25-2014 at 01:21 PM.|