changing education paradigms - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-20-2010, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDZFcDGpL4U

Thought i would like to share this. it's a interesting talk on our education system of sorts.

i hope you enjoy it.
#2 of 7 Old 10-20-2010, 07:31 PM

saw that a few weeks ago, definitely worth a few minutes of everyone's time!

DD5, DS3...Montessori since 8/2010
Bradenton, Florida
#3 of 7 Old 10-20-2010, 09:16 PM

Wow! I don't know which I liked better, the message itself or the amazing animation. Thanks for sharing that.
#4 of 7 Old 10-21-2010, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks for posting. His remarks that the school system reflects an educational philosophy based on the Enlightenment and Industrialization aren't really new thoughts. Anyone remember the factory schools in the Pink Floyd video from the 1970's?

He did make me feel a lot better about my dc's choices to attend a performing arts high school. I've witnessed for myself the positive results of an education in an arts-rich environment. I've been a little concerned about the standards of academics, but I find Robinson is pretty reassuring about choosing an arts-focused school. Of course, I'm eager to find reassurance wherever I can . I knew that they made the right choice on a personal level, but it's good to remember the benefits that will flow as they move into a 21st century economy and culture that will be different from the one I grew up in.

What really caught my attention though, was his conclusion that "great learning happens in groups" and "collaboration is the stuff of growth".

My dc have always preferred to attend school rather than homeschool. They have tried homeschooling in the past. If I hear a complaint about school, I invite them to study at home again. I point out the benefits of self-directed, individually paced learning.

I once thought they preferred school because they liked the structure and certainty, but that wasn't true because they really objected to a structured homeschooling day. I thought they wanted more social time, but they didn't really respond to the idea of homeschooling co-ops or joint learning sessions or the occasional class. What I've come to realize is that it isn't simply that they want to socialize with their friends during the day. For sure, it isn't that they want some school authority to determine a course of study for them.

My kids are collaborative learners. They learn well in the company of other students who are offering contributions and participating with them in the learning process. In fact, they seem to prefer it, rather than studying independently. They want to be in that kind of environment full time.

They've been really lucky to attend schools that foster good group learning dynamics. They've been in gifted programs that incorporate a lot of group projects and peer instruction. I've seen how the educational results can exceed independent learning.

There has been a lot of talk about the benefits of self-directed, self-paced learning. I've always believed in the importance of self-directed learning. Ken Robinson's recognition of the benefits of collaborative learning is intriguing to me because I've only recently been mulling about whether it's a learning style for some people, similar in some ways to the concept of auditory vs. kinaesthetic learning styles.

I suspect that there are "collaborative learners" who are inspired and motivated in a group environment, and thus learn really well in the right school setting, and "independent learners" who really need privacy for their learning. Extroversion/introversion probably factors into it quite a bit, although I think DS at least has a fair tendency to introversion.

It's made me re-think some of my beliefs about whether a completely self-directed, self-paced learning program is an optimal choice for education.
#5 of 7 Old 10-21-2010, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
My kids both prefer learning with others to learning at home.

I like the clip, but it didn't represent the diversity of educational options. We used to homeschool, my kids attend a private progressive school now, and our city has tons of charters of ALL stripes. Even in the traditional public school they attended last year, there were a lot of collaborative experiences, teachers letting the kids be creative etc.

What he said about education and what our experience has been of education didn't jive.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#6 of 7 Old 10-22-2010, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I also think his analysis of the "twin pillars" (the enlightenment and industrialization) ignores another important driver for the development of a universal public education system: democratization and the rise of human/civil rights.

He is correct that schooling wasn't an option for many before the 19th Century, but schools have been around throughout most of recorded history. The concept of a place for learning and sharing ideas and collaborating on solving problems is pretty ancient. Which makes sense, when you consider that humans are social beings and the drive to come together in a group seems to be a fundamental, basic urge.

In the 20th and 21st centuries, we've recognized that education is a human right. It's not surprising that universal schooling tends to accompany the development of democracies in free societies.
#7 of 7 Old 10-23-2010, 08:04 PM

Definitely agree it's worth watching. He makes lots of good arguments. I am totally on board when he says that he do need to change the education paradigm.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page