We're Schoolers Now. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-21-2010, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I posted a couple of weeks ago about deciding to end our homeschooling experiment and enroll DS in public school.

Yesterday was his first day. He had a good time, though he said he was tired because he had to stay there "a long time."

So, we will see how it goes. His teacher sent home a list of words for him to study. He knew most of them, which was weird because part of the reasoning for not homeschooling (for me) was that I didn't think we were making any reading progress and realized my teaching him such a fundamental concept probably wasn't a good fit.

It's us: DH , DS ; DD ; and me . Also there's the . And the 3 . I . Oh, and .
#2 of 6 Old 10-21-2010, 03:19 PM

Best wishes with the transition. I'm sure there will be some adjusting all around.
#3 of 6 Old 10-21-2010, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
My kids were really tired for awhile when they first started school. I think it's a normal part of the transition.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#4 of 6 Old 10-22-2010, 07:18 AM

Yea,you will find your kiddo is ahead in some areas,and possibly lacking in others. It did not take my kids to long to get used to the school demands,but some days they complain more than others about it.
#5 of 6 Old 10-22-2010, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattemma04 View Post
Yea,you will find your kiddo is ahead in some areas,and possibly lacking in others.
My son is gifted. We've had him evaluated by a developmental psych, and he was roughly on par with an average 8YO at that time when he was 4. With reading, he's not lacking the capacity to learn; he just didn't want to. "I like numbers. Why do I need to be able to read. You & Daddy read to me."

He complained yesterday because he had a small math group. "Most kids had a big math group, and I wanted a big one, too. I just got a couple of other kids. Then a woman came and got me and took me to her room to do math by myself." He hasn't brought home any math work, but he said the group wasn't "really math," so I'm assuming it was pre-math skills. I'm totally nosy, so I want to know everything, but having things filtered through a 5YO is cumbersome. :LOL

They've tentatively put him in a first-grade reading group after a quickie assessment (they have a multi-age grouping system), but I'm a bit surprised by that. I figure we will see how it goes the first couple of weeks until he can settle into the right group.

It's us: DH , DS ; DD ; and me . Also there's the . And the 3 . I . Oh, and .
#6 of 6 Old 10-22-2010, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionaryMom View Post
He hasn't brought home any math work, but he said the group wasn't "really math," so I'm assuming it was pre-math skills.
would he have considered something hands-on as "real math"?

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page