Schools Nutrition Activism - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-21-2010, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A few weeks ago, our city's newspaper ran an article about the school lunches & a move to get better options. Apparently there was a small group working loosely on it, but they've stalled. Has anyone had any luck as a parent working on this issue?

When we got DS' lunch menu yesterday, I almost fell over. It's terrible! I read the menu to him, and the only thing all month, he wanted to eat there was pizza once he understood it was all or nothing. (When they were having corn dogs w/ baby carrots, he said he'd eat the baby carrots but not the corn dog. )

Anyway, I know old habits die hard & all that, but I also know that schools *have* altered what they serve. We live in a notoriously unhealthy state, and seeing what they're serving for lunch brings that home for me. I'm just not sure where to start.

It's us: DH , DS ; DD ; and me . Also there's the . And the 3 . I . Oh, and .
#2 of 5 Old 10-24-2010, 10:38 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
The whole "localvore" movement has really taken off here on a regional level, so I'm not at all concerned about the quality anymore. It's almost become much more 'hip' to serve great food that is locally grown. I'm grateful for this.

#3 of 5 Old 10-25-2010, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
our former public elementary had a healthy kid policy and the lunches were pretty good. But our school was it's own little k-8 district, so it was easy for the parents to have a lot of say. the changes happened before we were there, but I know that they did it through the PTO.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#4 of 5 Old 10-25-2010, 09:28 PM

our school has a lot of typical kid entrees--corn dog, hot dog, breaded chicken items, pizza, pizza pockets...I kind of understand that they have to make the lunches appeal to the mainstream crowd of kids and make it cheap.

BUT...what they *have* done is gone to all frozen and steamed or fresh veggies (no more canned--lower sodium and better nutrient content too)

all either fresh fruits or if they do use canned it is juice, not syrup. (yeah but they've got to use what they're given to keep it cheap)

They do have a *lot* of fresh fruits and vegetables especially considering the only ones I remember when I was a kid was the occasional apple or orange.

Oh and they've gone to whole-wheat pasta and at least half whole-wheat breads. (yeah, I know but it's better than it *was* all white bread. And again I'm understanding that they've got to do this cheap and appeal to most kids...and I'd say *most* probably eat either the "tastes like white" or white bread.)

lovin DH since 1/04, SAHM to 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), and one 13 wk (10/13) just your average :ha ng multigenerational living family!!
#5 of 5 Old 10-26-2010, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceful_mama View Post
our school has a lot of typical kid entrees--corn dog, hot dog, breaded chicken items, pizza, pizza pockets...I kind of understand that they have to make the lunches appeal to the mainstream crowd of kids and make it cheap.
I know, but I grew up mainstream. We didn't eat that stuff. That's what my mother calls "fair food," and you can eat it very rarely. I don't think it's something most people eat everyday, though maybe I'm sadly mistaken.

Quote:
BUT...what they *have* done is gone to all frozen and steamed or fresh veggies (no more canned--lower sodium and better nutrient content too)

all either fresh fruits or if they do use canned it is juice, not syrup. (yeah but they've got to use what they're given to keep it cheap)
We have some great orchards that are willing to help out. The biggest obstacle, according to the nutrition services director, is to have the facility/time/people to process fresh veggies & fruits. That's where I think help can come. They say it's just so easy to do jar spaghetti sauce and that they can't justify making it from fresh veggies. Plus storage is a problem for some items.

Quote:
Oh and they've gone to whole-wheat pasta and at least half whole-wheat breads. (yeah, I know but it's better than it *was* all white bread. And again I'm understanding that they've got to do this cheap and appeal to most kids...and I'd say *most* probably eat either the "tastes like white" or white bread.)
We're pretty low-grain, but I'd be happy with this move. They have lots and lots of French fries and garlic bread. The weekly entree rotation seems to be chicken hip dippers (don't know what those are), corn dogs, pizza, spaghetti, and pizza pockets (I'm assuming hot pocket-type things.)

It's us: DH , DS ; DD ; and me . Also there's the . And the 3 . I . Oh, and .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page