educational apps for ipod? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 10-22-2010, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our family is heading off on a holiday (yeah!) and I'm looking for some recommended apps for my ipod to keep the kids busy on the airplane. My kids have never played any video games so they are not super "tech" savvy. They have played starfall on the computer and that's it. I was able to get the abc part of starfall on an app, but they don't have the complete site available yet. Anyone have any good recommendations for early reading, writing or math games? (DS is 5 and reading simple texts, DD is 3 and is not yet a reader. Both are strong in Math)

Thanks!

Wife to Dh Mom to Ds (6) Dd (3)
and our brand new Ds
#2 of 10 Old 10-22-2010, 07:33 PM

I downloaded iBooks it has some childrens books and stuff.
I also have Math Dr lite.
eliasZOO.
Toddler teaser Shapes.
MatchAnimals and MatchABC.
GuruBear 05.

Everything I downloaded was free. Look under their top 25 free catagorie mabey under education free.
Good luck

LetsTans Dix
#3 of 10 Old 10-22-2010, 07:40 PM

Monkey Preschool Lunchbox is worth the .99 cents. My 3 and 5 yo love it - mainly the 3 yo.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#4 of 10 Old 10-25-2010, 04:16 PM

DD likes "TeachMe Kindergarten." I think it was 99 cents. If not, the most it was was 1.99. Its worth it.

Its very simple. Simple math, filling in missing letters of words, finding words. Every so often, the kids earn coins and they can use the coins to buy stickers to put in a sticker scene. She loves it and appears to learn a lot from it too.

XOXO
B

mama to Milena Anjali (4/26/06) and Vincent Asher (4/13/09) ~ married to the love of my life since 2002.
#5 of 10 Old 10-26-2010, 05:50 PM

Ohhh...fun post!! Here are the one's we have and that I would recommend:

Match 'em up - Words (has a picture of a little lightbulb on the app icon)
Lola's Flag (this is one of my kids' favorites! You have to match country flags. Says the name of the country, as well)
100 Numbers - I thought this was going to be more Montessori Hundred Board-ish, but my kids like it.
Bills and Coins - K12 makes this app. My kids are not quite old enough for this yet, but looks pretty cool and it's on my iPod for the fun of it (free app).
Shape Builder - easy for the younger kids.

There is also an app called Creamy Ice that is fun to play. It's not "educational" per se, but it is a memory game....so it sorta is.

I think most of these apps were free, but I also check on my Free App a Day app to get some of them.

An incredibly thankful SAH Mommy to 3 fiendishly enchanting girls 11/04,10/05, & 12/06. 

#6 of 10 Old 10-27-2010, 11:12 AM

Zoodles.com is a FANTASTIC educational site and they have a FREE iPhone app- I'm sure you could use for iPod as well. Check it out!
#7 of 10 Old 10-27-2010, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Ladybug has just offered a free app. I haven't downloaded it yet, but it's probably top quality if it's like the magazine.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#8 of 10 Old 10-27-2010, 11:50 AM

My 3 year old really likes Kidcalc. It is a covers counting and simple addition.
#9 of 10 Old 10-27-2010, 12:51 PM

I spent months looking for the best apps for my son before I even got my iphone. He's 3 1/2 and has 2 pages of apps already but I believe I've made some great picks in terms of educational and fun apps that keep him busy in those moments where I desperately need him to be

IWriteWords - Fantastic app that teaches how to write letters (both capital and lower case), numbers, and words. $2.99 but worth every cent. My son will spend a good 30 minutes following the little crab around tracing letters. There is a lite version but you only get the first four letters of the alphabet.

Montessori Crosswords - $3.99. Perhaps not too beneficial for the younger child, as it uses a picture as your clue, and not all the pictures are obvious (such as showing the end of a pencil for the word 'tip'). The child fills in the missing letters.

Preschool Memory Match - FREE for limited time - I searched for a good free memory game and this was the best I found after trying at least a dozen others. It's a full version and starts at I believe 4 squares and goes up to 40. I think this one offers 'stickers' as a reward. Keeps my little one entertained for ages, and his ability has really improved.

Kids Can Match - FREE. Pretty much the same as above. Uses real pictures and sounds.

Postman Plum Interactive - FREE. Cute read-along book with interactive pictures.

Teach Me Toddler/Kindergarten - 99cents each (for now) - Toddler app teaches colours, basic counting, letters, numbers, and shapes. Kindergarten teaches sight words, addition, spelling, and subtraction. Parents can pick and choose which components are taught at any given time, and each child has their own interface. Rewards stickers for toddlers, and coins for older kids to purchase an in-game aquarium to fill with fish.

Also try these links.

http://bestappever.com/awards/2009/winner/pskd

http://www.parenting.com/gear-galler...-Apps-for-Kids

http://bestappsforkids.com/2010/07/i...ls-on-the-bus/

http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2009/03/this-week-in-ip/

http://www.giggleapps.com/category/r...-type-reviews/

http://www.bestkidsapps.com/

I hope you find some that you and your little ones enjoy.

edited for spelling
#10 of 10 Old 11-08-2011, 07:35 PM

Thanks for all the recommendations.

Kids. I got two of 'em.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page