I spent months looking for the best apps for my son before I even got my iphone. He's 3 1/2 and has 2 pages of apps already
but I believe I've made some great picks in terms of educational and fun apps that keep him busy in those moments where I desperately need him to be IWriteWords
- Fantastic app that teaches how to write letters (both capital and lower case), numbers, and words. $2.99 but worth every cent. My son will spend a good 30 minutes following the little crab around tracing letters. There is a lite version but you only get the first four letters of the alphabet.Montessori Crosswords
- $3.99. Perhaps not too beneficial for the younger child, as it uses a picture as your clue, and not all the pictures are obvious (such as showing the end of a pencil for the word 'tip'). The child fills in the missing letters.Preschool Memory Match
- FREE for limited time - I searched for a good free memory game and this was the best I found after trying at least a dozen others. It's a full version and starts at I believe 4 squares and goes up to 40. I think this one offers 'stickers' as a reward. Keeps my little one entertained for ages, and his ability has really improved.Kids Can Match
- FREE. Pretty much the same as above. Uses real pictures and sounds.Postman Plum Interactive
- FREE. Cute read-along book with interactive pictures.Teach Me Toddler/Kindergarten
- 99cents each (for now) - Toddler app teaches colours, basic counting, letters, numbers, and shapes. Kindergarten teaches sight words, addition, spelling, and subtraction. Parents can pick and choose which components are taught at any given time, and each child has their own interface. Rewards stickers for toddlers, and coins for older kids to purchase an in-game aquarium to fill with fish.
Also try these links.http://bestappever.com/awards/2009/winner/pskdhttp://www.parenting.com/gear-galler...-Apps-for-Kidshttp://bestappsforkids.com/2010/07/i...ls-on-the-bus/http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2009/03/this-week-in-ip/http://www.giggleapps.com/category/r...-type-reviews/http://www.bestkidsapps.com/
I hope you find some that you and your little ones enjoy.
edited for spelling