Dress like a Nerd day at school *update 1st post* - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Dress like a Nerd day at school *update 1st post*

~PurityLake~'s Avatar ~PurityLake~
02:43 AM Liked: 28
#31 of 47
10-25-2010 | Posts: 5,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcal View Post
Sigh.....I'm super uncomfortable with this. Am I crazy?

Next week, they're doing some sort of "stay off drugs" week. Somehow, dressing up each day plays into the theme. I don't totally get it but, whatever.

So, the note came home that they kids can dress up if they want - the themes are:
Monday - Dress in red, white and blue
Tuesday - Dress like a friend
Wednesday - Dress like a nerd
Thursday - Dress like a rock star

Huh??? Dress like a nerd?

My kids were completely confused. They're in 2nd and 3rd grade and they don't even know what a "nerd" is.

Am I crazy or is this just a really bad idea? Apparantly, the middle school kids came up with the daily themes. Didn't a teacher review their selections?

I don't know. Do I say anything? Just not participate? Get over it, explain to my kids what a nerd is and somehow help them come up with a costume? (Not!)

And seriously, what would that costume be? And, what if there are stereotypical "nerds" in the classes? I can think of one boy in particular who wears really thick, black rimmed glasses, button down shirts with too short pants, very much into books and school etc..... is the nerd theme going to be a variation on what he looks like already? This just seems like a horrible idea
My Kindergartener is also "Showing your Drug Free Spirit" next week.
Monday - wear hoodies, sweat pants, or shirts (this one is funny to me, because the only thing left out is dress , so basically, come to school in your clothes)
Tuesday - wear green (should be easy for everyone)
Wednesday - wear your crazy, silly socks (they're the only kind she has, so she wears them every day anyway)
Thursday - It's crazy hair day (I'm guessing based on Wednesday, that this means decorative and colorful not insane. So that would be a lot of barrettes and ponytails and perhaps multiple braids in all directions, so she'll like this)
Wednesday and Thursday are half - days due to parent/teach conferences and there is no school on Friday.

I still think it's odd for a five year old to show their drug free spirit and that message itself will be completely lost on my daughter.

For dress like a nerd, I'd have to say they must expect the stereotype. So I'd suggest thick, black plastic-rimmed glasses, button up striped/plaid dress shirt, high-waisted slacks that aren't quite long enough-perhaps roll up the cuffs, pen-protector loaded with pens, mousse-slicked perfectly-parted hair, and perhaps suspenders to finish it off.
Linda on the move's Avatar Linda on the move
03:39 AM Liked: 4231
#32 of 47
10-25-2010 | Posts: 10,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xy View Post
I want to mention, though, that one doesn't have to be intelligent to be a nerd. A nerd is just someone who is seen as unattractive, annoying, and socially inept. Does anyone remember "Revenge of the Nerds?" They weren't all smart.

And yes, I'm a word geek.
According to my 12 year old (who is very socially adept), "nerds" are kids who make good grades, behave, and join academic clubs. They engage in behaviors that moms want, and they have friends (the other kids in the academic clubs). She's a nerd, and she's fine with that.

"Geeks" are kids who have trouble picking up on social cues, and get overly interested in the details of things to a point that even the nerds lose interest.

"Socially inept" in middle school is a odd bird ~~ the truly cool kids aren't nerds, but their form of social interaction isn't anything that most of us would want our kids to aspire to.

I think that what the school is doing is not only inappropriate, but could easily led to bullying in the older grades. Comments such as, "to be a nerd, just dress like Tommy" could be VERY hurtful.
Amys1st's Avatar Amys1st
11:23 AM Liked: 394
#33 of 47
10-25-2010 | Posts: 8,322
We havee during spirit week,

School spirit day- wear school colors, spirit wear

Crazy hair day- this could be spraying color or just putting crazy things in your hair. One boy had a paper plate on his head and poked hair thru it. It was really great! Another child wore a huge huge afro type wig and it was so so unlike him, it was very funny.

mismatch day- wear clothes that do not match

sport day- wear your favorite team! Basicaally wear your clothes since some kids do this anyway.

color day- each class has a special color to wear.

I remember doing Nerd day in Hs way back in the day. I found it appaling that year as well and I think eve then it was not on the roster the following year.
Qestia's Avatar Qestia
12:38 PM Liked: 85
#34 of 47
10-25-2010 | Posts: 1,980
I still remember this from when I was in high school 20-odd years ago, remembering it with pain. For one, I was a nerd, what was I supposed to do, come to school dressed like normal? Two, we were dirt, DIRT poor. I did not have a budget to buy special clothes to dress up in (I think there was also hawaiian day, things like that). What if you don't have goofy socks or green or whatever, and you can't afford to go out and spend money to wear something like once? I mean, these days my circumstances have changed so that I do find it hard to imagine kids not having a buck to buy goofy socks from target, but growing up 1. we were in a rural community a long way from where you get $1 socks and 2. yes, even a dollar would have been a hardship... we paid for gas for our car a few dollars at a time. I never filled the tank till I was married, I still feel a little giddy when I do.
EarthMamaToBe's Avatar EarthMamaToBe
12:46 PM Liked: 33
#35 of 47
10-25-2010 | Posts: 522
unacceptable
amcal's Avatar amcal (TS)
01:35 PM Liked: 59
#36 of 47
10-25-2010 | Posts: 4,649
Qestia - I'm sorry. That's exactly what I fear.

I did call the principal and address the nerd issue, the dress like a friend issue and also the having to have special clothes. It's just as easy to do crazy hair day, mis matched clothes day, inside out clothes day etc..... Things that don't mock or exclude.

I had to leave a message so who knows what the result will be but, my kids won't be participating.
delphine's Avatar delphine
11:38 AM Liked: 12
#37 of 47
10-26-2010 | Posts: 911
My kids wear uniforms to school and they do the "crazy dress" thing a few weeks a year.

Last week, they had "penny wars" to raise money for charity. The student council picked 5 themes and the kids voted on which one they wanted to do by putting pennies in the appropriate jar. Some of the choices were:

Glamour Day
Crazy hair day
Crazy shoe and sock day
Team spirit day
Frozen treat day (whatever that is)

Anyway, crazy shoe and sock day won. Interestingly enough, today was the day and they didnt' tell me about it until this morning, so my boys both went in their regular shoes. Neither one of them minded.

It's funny to see how different they are from when I was a kid. I also wore uniforms, and dress out of uniform days were the BEST. Neither of my boys could care less.

To the OP's point, I think there are much more appropriate "dress up" days and I am glad to hear that the school revised the themes. It's great that they were so quickly receptive.

As to the nerd thing, my brother who was definitely a nerd and still is (he's a nuclear physicist and I'm pretty sure the characters on the Big Bang Theory were based on him), dressed as a "nerd" for Halloween all through high school. Pocket protector etc. This was when Revenge of the Nerds was very popular. So, I am sure the school intended it in a fun way, and did not recognize how callous it had the potential to be.
Teensy's Avatar Teensy
02:27 PM Liked: 15
#38 of 47
10-26-2010 | Posts: 1,688
Read your update in post #1 and

that's great that they eliminated nerd day. Glad you spoke up!
nanette0269's Avatar nanette0269
02:32 PM Liked: 13
#39 of 47
10-26-2010 | Posts: 159
what happens if someone dresses like britney speas on the rockstar day?
sapphire_chan's Avatar sapphire_chan
05:26 PM Liked: 205
#40 of 47
10-26-2010 | Posts: 27,052
Quote:
I'm impressed by how responsive the principal is and satisfied with the result.
Are you being sarcastic? Asking because the doesn't really fit with "impressed" and "satisfied".
~PurityLake~'s Avatar ~PurityLake~
05:35 PM Liked: 28
#41 of 47
10-26-2010 | Posts: 5,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
Are you being sarcastic? Asking because the doesn't really fit with "impressed" and "satisfied".
I'm sure the was a remnant leftover from her original, unedited post and accidentally remained when she edited to add the update.
hollytheteacher's Avatar hollytheteacher
05:38 PM Liked: 13
#42 of 47
10-26-2010 | Posts: 2,860
Quote:
I think the was at the end of her message BEFORE the update...so she went in and typed the update and the "" was still there from before the update...could be wrong though...op?
06:00 PM Liked: 205
#43 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Purity‚ô•Lake~ View Post
I'm sure the was a remnant leftover from her original, unedited post and accidentally remained when she edited to add the update.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollytheteacher View Post
I think the was at the end of her message BEFORE the update...so she went in and typed the update and the "" was still there from before the update...could be wrong though...op?
:

In that case, about the update. It did sound awesome, but I wasn't sure how you felt about it.
06:59 PM Liked: 59
#44 of 47
10-26-2010 | Posts: 4,649
Quote:
Is there some sort of smilie in there that I don't see? I only see a fraction of the smilies and your sentence reads like there should be a smilie in between "the" and "doesn't".

If there is a smilie, I didn't mean it to be in there because it seems like it may have changed what I was trying to say?

I was trying to say that I really am quite impressed at how quickly this was handled. By the end of the day, the email had gone out and all the teachers were notified about the change in the schedule.

This Principal has been super responsive about several issues and I really appreciate that about her.
07:06 PM Liked: 59
#45 of 47
10-26-2010 | Posts: 4,649
Oh! Yeah, I just went and checked from another computer and that belonged at the end of the original post. When I use my home computer, I don't see most of the smilies for some reason so, when I added the update, I didn't realize it was there so, as I was typing, I must have pushed it from the end of the original post to the end of the update. Sorry for the confusion!
11:10 PM Liked: 205
#46 of 47
Quote:
Oh! Yeah, I just went and checked from another computer and that belonged at the end of the original post. When I use my home computer, I don't see most of the smilies for some reason so, when I added the update, I didn't realize it was there so, as I was typing, I must have pushed it from the end of the original post to the end of the update. Sorry for the confusion!
It's fine! I just didn't want to celebrate until I was sure you liked the result. In retrospect, after having it pointed out, it was obvious. How aggravating for you not to be able to see smileys.
meemee's Avatar meemee
11:14 PM Liked: 1881
#47 of 47
10-26-2010 | Posts: 12,624
yeah i am impressed by the speed too however it makes me wonder if there were other parents who complained.

either way

Reply Subscribe Learning at School