Do you miss your young kids when they are at school?! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 38 Old 11-01-2010, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh, of course I miss them! But they are where they need to be and I am doing what I need to be doing (right now, I'm in school too). I'd love to homeschool but it's just not something I am comfortable doing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 38 Old 11-01-2010, 11:59 PM

Yes, I do. Oddly, I think I miss her more now (she gets home at 3) than I did when she was 2 and I was full-time WOHM. She was a really difficult 2yo, though.

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

#33 of 38 Old 11-11-2010, 02:12 PM
arb

I miss my kindergartner like crazy. I daydream about her while I am at work and it's especially hard because even though my work friends are very fond of her they don't want to hear kid stories all day, and that's what is often on my mind. So it's a double kind of missing.

The sad part is, and I am sure every full-time working mother can relate (I almost said "parent" but for lots of reasons I think this is generally a mom thing), I am SO eager to be reunited with her in the evening but then almost as soon as we get home I start looking forward to getting her to bed. Not because she is a taxing child (she's not) or that I don't want to do fun stuff with her (I do), but because I am often worried about both of us getting the proper amount of sleep, so my eye is on the clock.

And of course I also want some quiet time to unwind by myself or with my husband. And there's all the housework, freelance work, lunch packing, etc. It's a bummer for sure.

#34 of 38 Old 11-13-2010, 06:50 AM

Yes, absolutely! I don't miss my pre-schooler because she's only gone 2.5 hours, but  my first-grader is gone 8 hours a day and it's too much. I don't want a school raising her. I feel like they're not doing a great job, but they haven't left me enough good hours in the day to undo the damage. She loves school and I wholehearted support her going, but I sure wish it were fewer hours in the day or fewer days per week.

#35 of 38 Old 11-13-2010, 09:23 AM
HRJ

My son was 4 when he started preschool, and he is my only child (I am PG now though but at the time we thought he'd be our only one b/c of infertility).  It was definitely wierd to be apart from him - like my right arm was missing.  And it was hard to go home b/c he is such a LOUD child, and the house was so quiet w/ out him.  I didn't like it - so I did a lot of errands and sitting in Starbucks to pay bills.  But he LOVED it, so I never really cried.  Now he's in 1/2 day kindergarten w/ lunch, and I wouldn't say I miss him.  I go home and get stuff done and get my dr appts in.  It's like having a babysitter.  He gets bored w/out it, so it's never a good thing to have too many days off of school. 

#36 of 38 Old 11-15-2010, 06:33 AM

I've always missed my dd.  She started full-time at 3.5 and was actually still nursing then.  She seemed so small.  However, it's a one-way language immersion school and she has always THRIVED there in part because she started so young.  But yet, I missed her then, and I still miss her now that she's almost 9.  I enjoy our summers and breaks together so much!  She has always been a joy to be around, so home is just brighter when she's here. 

#37 of 38 Old 11-15-2010, 07:01 AM

Nope.  I love when ds is in school because then I only have to deal with the two year old.  DH has been deployed for a year and a half so I'm completely burnt out.   ANY break I get from the kids is good.

#38 of 38 Old 11-15-2010, 05:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I don't miss my younger ones.  They are only in school until 11:30 a few days a week.  That is the only time in a week I get to be alone.  (DP travels for work.)  I know this time is as much for me as it is for them.  I can't imagine being a mom 24/7 all alone without a  little break once in a while, especially if you have kids up all night so that 24/7 really is 24.

I do miss my older kids.  The school day is too long (get on the bus at 8:30; off at 4pm) especially at this time of year when it is dusk as they get off the bus.  I miss them, but mostly I miss that they don't have enough down time so the time we have together is rushed.  A couple of hours to do homework, play with friends, eat dinner, sports practices, etc.  I miss the hanging-around-needing-to-kill-time time where we would end up talking, etc.

I would love a school that meets from 9-1:30 every day.  That would be perfect!

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page