fundraising woes... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-24-2010, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
dd1 ps has had one fundraiser and dd2 preschool has had two so far.... I did not ask anyone for any donations. I JUST CAN'T! I have a major issue with asking anyone for money. I know, this issue should be in mental health... I know school fundraisers will be a regular thing that I just need to participate in... IF I knew someone that has tons of money maybe I would feel more comfortable asking them, but all the people we know are either struggling to provide for their own children or are older and really need to save their money IMO. Not that I'm against donating though. How do you do it?
#2 of 6 Old 10-24-2010, 01:57 PM

our school doesn't normally do fundraisers unless it's for a specific charity. I never ask people, I just donate from ourselves & that's it.
#3 of 6 Old 10-24-2010, 03:31 PM

Ou school does a lot of fundraisers, but I decline to participate most of the time. I buy if I truly am interested in the items being sold, but otherwise I skip it. I occasionally ask family if they're interested in buying, but only if I think they would truly be interested and I am very low-pressure about it.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#4 of 6 Old 10-24-2010, 03:38 PM

I bypass the fundraisers and just give a check to the school. I don't want cookiedough/wrapping paper/magazines/chocolate only a small percentage of the profit goes to the school anyway. So by giving $50-$100 a year gives them way more cash than hitting up all my friends/family/neighbours.

-Melanie
#5 of 6 Old 10-24-2010, 03:52 PM

I wouldn't worry about it. I am a teacher and I have found that some families do not sell anything, some just make a donation and others sell a ton. It all evens out.

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#6 of 6 Old 10-25-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebandg'smama View Post
I bypass the fundraisers and just give a check to the school. I don't want cookiedough/wrapping paper/magazines/chocolate only a small percentage of the profit goes to the school anyway. So by giving $50-$100 a year gives them way more cash than hitting up all my friends/family/neighbours.

-Melanie
Me too. It can be difficult because of how the school hypes up the children, but I explain to ds what the fundraiser is for (earning money for the school to afford field trips, etc.) and that we will make a donation to the school.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page