Tips for transitioning from homeschool to public school - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 10-26-2010, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is our last year of homeschooling (for the next few years anyway), due to a number of outside reasons. My kids will be starting school next fall, in grades 6, 4, and 2, and all have always been homeschooled.

All three are currently taking some classes at the public school now, as homeschoolers. All are in honors choir after school, DD1 and DS are in music/drama, and DD1 in is art. So they've met some future schoolmates and teachers already.

The school they will be attending is tiny--60 some kids in grades preK through 12. For example, there are 3 first graders, 13 third graders, and 4 fifth graders this year (and these are the grade peers my kids will be joining). Up through 5th grade, the kids have one homeroom teacher per grade for academic subjects, and then grades 1 & 2, and 4 & 5 pair up for gym, music, art, etc. (3rd is big enough to be on its own.) I imagine the pairing of grades will adjust accordingly when the 3rd graders move up.

In 6th grade (which my oldest will be starting in), they move to a middle school schedule and change classes throughout the day and have no homeroom. I'm not sure if they are paired with other grades at all but will find out more soon.

Any tips for moving into these grades are much appreciated. Anyone have any? All will do fine with the academics, but DS especially is concerned about the social component. There appears to be a pretty good anti-bullying policy (posters on the walls, no signs of bullies so far, etc) but he tends to be the odd one out, even in homeschooling circles. He has bright red curly hair, food allergies, unusual interests, etc. He tends to be rejected by boys, but has a couple of friends who are girls. Any tips for me to help him out?

Also, my youngest two have Celiac disease--DS cannot have gluten, dairy, or soy, and DD2 cannot have gluten or dairy. I'll be packing lunches and snacks for them, and will talk to their teachers... Does anyone have some positive experiences with food issues and schools? (I've heard plenty of negative ones already.)
#2 of 11 Old 10-26-2010, 12:17 AM

Our local school had a pretty good anti-bullying policy in writing, but not in the works. They put up lots of nice signs too. But we had to leave the school for my daughter's safety after she was seriously sexually harassed. I was very worried for her situation and she had nightmares for months after.

I would go over social situations and safe situations and what they need to report to you and what to do if this happens or that.

Good luck.
#3 of 11 Old 10-26-2010, 12:19 AM

I will add though that with a school that size, I am guessing you will never have to deal with the situation we had to deal with, so don't worry about that.
#4 of 11 Old 10-26-2010, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaWhit View Post
The school they will be attending is tiny--60 some kids in grades preK through 12.
It sounds like a nice little school! My kids started out homeschooling, and then attended a public school with hundreds of students, and this year attend a private K-12 school with about 80 students. It's really lovely.

I think that the social aspect is easier in a smaller school.

Quote:
All will do fine with the academics,
both of my kids had trouble with handwriting when they first started school. neither could write as quickly as their peers (because we talked about so many things rather than writing!) so SPEED was an issue, which meant the they didn't get as much more done as the other kids and ended up bringing home more as "homework."

Quote:
but DS especially is concerned about the social component. There appears to be a pretty good anti-bullying policy (posters on the walls, no signs of bullies so far, etc) but he tends to be the odd one out, even in homeschooling circles. He has bright red curly hair, food allergies, unusual interests, etc.
How old is he? Does he have any special needs that social issues more complex, such as ADD, autism-spectrum traits, etc? Does he pick up on social cues?

Social skills can be taught. One of my DDs has Asperger's and attended a social skills class last year that was super. There are books and videos too.

Quote:
I'll be packing lunches and snacks for them, and will talk to their teachers... Does anyone have some positive experiences with food issues and schools? (I've heard plenty of negative ones already.)
My DD with Asperger's has a lot of sensory issues that play out in her food choices, and my other DD is lactose intolerant and just picky. They pack lunches so it's not an issue at all.

We haven't had issues with bullying in either public or private school.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#5 of 11 Old 10-26-2010, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip on handwriting speed. Yeah, mine aren't quick with their writing, so that will be something we can work on between now and then.

DS is 8.5, and will be 9 when he starts school. He is not on the spectrum and does not have ADHD. He does pick up on social cues, but is extremely sensitive and gets his feelings hurt easily, and can also get angry easily (but controls himself well when away from me). Teasing and rough-housing really repel him, and this seems to make him a misfit/target with most other boys his age.
#6 of 11 Old 10-26-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaWhit View Post
He does pick up on social cues, but is extremely sensitive and gets his feelings hurt easily, and can also get angry easily (but controls himself well when away from me). Teasing and rough-housing really repel him, and this seems to make him a misfit/target with most other boys his age.
I think that working on helping him find is center would good. I really like this series:

http://www.amazon.com/Cool-Calm-Conf...ref=pd_sim_b_6

IMHO, it's really common for kids to get teased a little, or asked questions like "why do you bring the same thing EVERY day for lunch." The way the child responds helps determine if the teasing continues and possibly escalates to bullying, or if it stops.

Kids who get upset easily are more likely to end up as targets of bullies because they are more fun to tease. kids who are comfortable in the own skin and can make a joke out of it, blow it off, or turn it around are less likely to have problems.

Has he ever tried martial arts? It is a good way to learn self control.

#7 of 11 Old 10-26-2010, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

That link looks awesome! Thanks!
#8 of 11 Old 10-27-2010, 10:09 AM

My dd just transitioned into 4th grade after homeschooling for all her lower grades. Her biggest struggle by far was writing speed, especially in math. One problem that I had not anticipated was that we had always used printouts and workbooks, but in school she would have to copy down her math problems in class and from the book. She had real trouble looking at what her math teacher was writing on the board, and then copying it onto her paper, making sure it was correct, and then solving the problem in the time given. Their math class is almost two hours long, so she was super stressed the entire time. It took a couple of weeks to catch up .

We are vegetarian, but she brings her lunch, and there have been no problems with that. She has even gotten a few of the kids to start eating hummus.

Regarding social stuff, I encouraged her to not stick to one person, but take her time and just try to be friendly with everyone. I was afraid she would cling onto one other person, and not branch out. Luckily, she's doing fine socially.
#9 of 11 Old 10-27-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emily31 View Post
One problem that I had not anticipated was that we had always used printouts and workbooks, but in school she would have to copy down her math problems in class and from the book.
this is an EXCELLENT point. Call the school and find out what grade they start using math text books and see if this will effect your kids.

Also make sure they know which side of a blank piece of notebook paper is the front, where the top is, etc.

#10 of 11 Old 08-14-2013, 07:02 PM

Help!!

My daughter is 15 and has been very sick for the last 2 years. Last year we ended up needing to homeschool just for a few months, and we moved to a different school district. Now the school district does not want to let her continue in her grade. They say she needs to go to alternative school and do credit recovery. How do I get them to accept her into the regular high school?

#11 of 11 Old 08-15-2013, 07:45 AM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris1 View Post

Help!!

My daughter is 15 and has been very sick for the last 2 years. Last year we ended up needing to homeschool just for a few months, and we moved to a different school district. Now the school district does not want to let her continue in her grade. They say she needs to go to alternative school and do credit recovery. How do I get them to accept her into the regular high school?

This strikes me as being something that is very specific to the state, district and school you're dealing with. I imagine challenging their decision will depend in part on whatever approach you took with her homeschooling, and what documentation you are able to provide of mastery. If you want the school to grant her credits for her homeschooling, you'll have to provide evidence they're satisfied with. I'm in Canada, and we've found our local school to be very easy to work with in this respect, but I know it varies a lot and I think American schools tend to be a lot stickier.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page