Slightly frivolous thread... Lunchboxes!?! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 11-22-2010, 03:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've posted once or twice on this forum , I usually live over on learning at home but my 2 boys are heading to school in January.  This wasn't exactly a by choice decision, but a financial one, but I've gotten to a place of acceptance and more importantly THEY are starting to think this might be pretty cool!  I'm looking to foster that attitude in every way possible and one thing I remember as a kid was new cool lunchboxes and backpacks.  So I'm looking for spam here mamas (and dads!)

My boys are going to be 9 and 6.5 when they head to school next year (grades 4 and 2).  Schools here highly encourage zero waste, and my boys will lose their heads if they aren't attached... so I'm looking for something with individual 'spaces'?  but not individual lids (as I'd never see those babies again lol)  I'd lurve something that either comes with, or you can buy a neoprene bag to fit. 

Sooo.. pelt me with links for your favourite, fun, cool, kid AND mama friendly lunch containers please? privateeyes.gif

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#2 of 21 Old 11-22-2010, 04:32 AM

I did DIY bento style lunch boxes for 3 years (really just a conglomeration of variously sized tupperware).  Last summer I stumbled upon the Easy Lunch Box system, and I LOVE it. 

www.easylunchboxes.com

I bought my system in May of this year and the containers and bags are still going strong.   It's super easy to pack the lunches as well.  I highly recommend this system.

#3 of 21 Old 11-22-2010, 04:50 AM - Thread Starter

Those are great Lisa!  How sturdy are the containers?  Are they a bit tougher than gladware type stuff?  I'm thinking those might be just what I need (not so pricey that i'll be worried about them being lost as well) ... but anyone else that has suggestions please share :D

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#4 of 21 Old 11-22-2010, 06:14 AM
MJB

My 2nd grader has a Goodbyn and we love it! It has separate sections that do not mix but only one lid. It also comes with a water bottle that fits inside. It has enough room for as much food as any child could possibly eat at lunch. It doesn't come with a bag but it has a handle. It fits in my son's backpack along with his agenda and a couple books.

#5 of 21 Old 11-22-2010, 10:39 AM

notes2.gif

Need to get  my niece a cute lunchbox for Christmas

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
#6 of 21 Old 11-22-2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View Post

Those are great Lisa!  How sturdy are the containers?  Are they a bit tougher than gladware type stuff?  I'm thinking those might be just what I need (not so pricey that i'll be worried about them being lost as well) ... but anyone else that has suggestions please share :D

They are very sturdy plastic.  Not at all like the thin disposable storage containers.  They don't warp in the dishwasher.  Seriously, I love them.   On the Easy Lunch Box blog she does a side-by-side comparison...

#7 of 21 Old 11-24-2010, 02:22 PM

Tupperware makes a long attached lid box called Lunch n' Things.  When you open the hinged lid, it has four spots - one big square for a sandwich or main meal, one rectangular for juice box/bag or carrot/celery sticks/gogurt, two smaller squares for cookies/fish crackers/pretzels.  Wash in the top rack of the dishwasher.  LOVE ours.  I have two per kid so one can be in the dishwasher while one is in use.  We've had ours for years.

#8 of 21 Old 11-25-2010, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post

Tupperware makes a long attached lid box called Lunch n' Things.  When you open the hinged lid, it has four spots - one big square for a sandwich or main meal, one rectangular for juice box/bag or carrot/celery sticks/gogurt, two smaller squares for cookies/fish crackers/pretzels.  Wash in the top rack of the dishwasher.  LOVE ours.  I have two per kid so one can be in the dishwasher while one is in use.  We've had ours for years.

We have something like that by Tupperware here too.. they're called sandwich plus or something?  Sounds like the same thing...My issues are though.. that they are 29bucks EACH!  *ouch*  and that I have never found any type of individual insulated type bag that they fit in!  Here in Australia all kids take their lunches (at least in my area) and they are not usually stored refrigerated... and even though school technically starts at the 'end'f of summer (lol) it remains hot for several months. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisac77 View Post
Quote:They are very sturdy plastic.  Not at all like the thin disposable storage containers.  They don't warp in the dishwasher.  Seriously, I love them.   On the Easy Lunch Box blog she does a side-by-side comparison...

Awesome..I also like the fact athat you get more than one for that price ;) 

#9 of 21 Old 11-28-2010, 02:04 PM

Cari- we have the gladware/ziplock style containers and have had them for about 2 yrs. They clean up pretty well and hold a fair amount. We have the lands end style lunch boxes and they fit in them.

They are pretty cheap, but the above posted ones like sturdier.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#10 of 21 Old 11-29-2010, 06:15 AM

My 6 year old has a planetbox, and my 10 year old uses a plastic tray that is divided into spaces.  She wants the planetbox, too, but without the case.

#11 of 21 Old 11-29-2010, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandasMom View Post

My 6 year old has a planetbox, and my 10 year old uses a plastic tray that is divided into spaces.  She wants the planetbox, too, but without the case.

Holy moly, those planetboxes are coool!

#12 of 21 Old 11-29-2010, 09:02 PM

ITA the planetboxes are really cool, but my DS loses everything.  At least with the Easy Lunch Boxes, if he loses one it's really no big deal.  I really like that about them. :)

#13 of 21 Old 11-29-2010, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

LOL Lisa.. while they're cool, they are definitely outside the price range I'm looking at! (couldn't see that on the initial info page) Still leaning towards the easy ones, or something similar if I can find an Aussie alternative!

#14 of 21 Old 12-01-2010, 04:41 PM

The Easy ones look great!

We have laptop lunch boxes:

http://www.laptoplunches.com/

In the past we have used pyrex containers (only broke one or two in YEARS of use).  We also have the reusbale "plastic" (fabric) bags for dry snacks.

#15 of 21 Old 12-02-2010, 06:44 AM

If possible, I'd recommend purchasing something somewhere where you can have your kiddo try before buying. I've wasted money on lunch containers that my son couldn't reliably open and close. For example, a Kleen Kanteen that seemed like a great idea when I bought it is no longer used since I had to replace library books that were ruined when it leaked in my son's bag because he couldn't close it properly. :(

We do have one of the tupperware lunch kits, though, and I like it. This year DS's dad bought him a new lunchbag, and the lunch kit does not fit. I use small individual gladware containers instead, and they work just fine even if they aren't as cute. The bag has one large compartment for food and a small compartment for an ice pack, which is nice for warm weather.

#16 of 21 Old 12-04-2010, 03:49 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

My son is using a Goodbyn this year.  I really love it.

#17 of 21 Old 12-04-2010, 09:46 PM

I've wanted to buy a Goodbyn, but I'm concerned about putting it in a lunch bag with an ice pack  - do you guys do that with yours? Also are they easy for little ones to open? My daughter will be 4 when I give it to her for picnics (eventually for school)

#18 of 21 Old 12-05-2010, 03:14 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

There's very little that I send that really needs to be kept cold. In the rare event that I do, I put an ice pack in that section, underneath the food.  It works well.  We also have 2 Laptop Lunchboxes and a couple of Funtainer-type bottles that we also use for different things. 

I love that the Goodbyn is self-contained and the drink bottle fits right inside.  If I send milk, I just freeze it the night before and it thaws by lunch time.  Both of my kids are able to open and close the Goodbyn easily.  Opening is always easy if you remind them to keep it flat.  You might have to practice closing it but if you show them the five pressure spots, they catch on pretty quickly.  We kind of turned it into a game.  And there are always teachers to help kids who need it.

#19 of 21 Old 12-09-2010, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polliwog View Post

There's very little that I send that really needs to be kept cold. In the rare event that I do, I put an ice pack in that section, underneath the food.  It works well.  We also have 2 Laptop Lunchboxes and a couple of Funtainer-type bottles that we also use for different things. 

I love that the Goodbyn is self-contained and the drink bottle fits right inside.  If I send milk, I just freeze it the night before and it thaws by lunch time.  Both of my kids are able to open and close the Goodbyn easily.  Opening is always easy if you remind them to keep it flat.  You might have to practice closing it but if you show them the five pressure spots, they catch on pretty quickly.  We kind of turned it into a game.  And there are always teachers to help kids who need it.

Polliwog, I love the goodbyn.. but it looks HUGE!  I can't imagine my boys wanting to carry one that big, and I don't know that their backpacks will have room to put it in (they are school branded backpacks so I haven't seen it yet)  I do think they look very cool though thumb.gif  To get them here in Australia though, I either have to cop international shipping, or buy through a .au site and the only one of those I find with them has them at 44.00 EACH :( 

These are looking pretty good actually, and will fit in a regular sized lunch bag it looks like.  The fact that there's no international postage is a winner for me as on something bulky & heavyish like a lunchbox would have absurd shipping rates I'm guessing.

#20 of 21 Old 12-10-2010, 04:42 PM
MJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibba View Post

I've wanted to buy a Goodbyn, but I'm concerned about putting it in a lunch bag with an ice pack  - do you guys do that with yours? Also are they easy for little ones to open? My daughter will be 4 when I give it to her for picnics (eventually for school)

I freeze the water bottle and it keeps the rest of the food pretty cold (it goes in the center compartment). 

They are easy to open but a little tricky to close properly-- there's a right way to do it that isn't too hard but if you don't do it, it will leak. Closed, though, I've sent yogurt and other liquids in it. 

#21 of 21 Old 01-06-2011, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter

So, I decided to go with the easy lunchboxes.  I ordered them on the 30th and they were here on the 5th.. not bad considering they had to travel half way around the world.  We haven't used them yet, as the school year is still a few weeks away, but I'm really impressed with how sturdy they feel :)  I like the size of the boxes & bag as well, fairly compact but still roomy enough that I think they'll fit plenty of food for little boys :)   Heck, I'm going to be working nights, so *I* might use them to take my lunches in as a means of portion control lol. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page