waldorf schools...vaccinations - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-13-2002, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do waldorf schools give you any problems with having children that aren't vaccinated attend?
#2 of 8 Old 05-14-2002, 01:16 AM

I'm sure schools vary, but my son goes to a Waldorf school and is not fully vaccinated. I just signed the waiver on the back of the vaccination card and it was fine. He has been to two different Waldorf schools and we did this at each and they were both fine with it. But, different states have different laws regarding exemptions, so you'll have to look into what exemptions your own state honors.

Meredith
#3 of 8 Old 05-30-2002, 12:12 AM

The school doctor for our Waldorf school is also an anthroposophical doctor and many of the children are not vaccinated. I just signed the waiver as well.
#4 of 8 Old 05-30-2002, 02:05 AM

When you all say you signed a waiver, do you mean you signed for a religious exemption? Also If your child is partially vaccinated which mine is would you recommend ommitting that on the form when signing the waiver. I have heard it is all or nothing.
#5 of 8 Old 05-30-2002, 02:11 AM

Different states have different requirements. My state allows for a personal, religious or medical exemption. I signed and checked the box for personal exemption and just left it at that. My oldest child is partially vaccinated and I didn't share that information mainly because if I did I'd have to show them the immunization records and I didn't want to bother getting them from the doctor's office. And since I signed the waiver they didn't care about getting records for any vaccinations he did have.

I have heard that in some states it is "all or nothing" but this is an individual state issue, and even then I think they'd have a hard time enforcing it. I mean, who is to say that it isn't your "personal belief" that children can have the tetanus vaccine but cannot have the MMR vaccine? I think as long as your state has a "personal belief" exemption then you should be fine.

Meredith
#6 of 8 Old 05-30-2002, 02:34 AM

Thanks Mamamer for your reply. Unfortunately my state only allows a medical or religious exemption. I saw a few replies from some from Baltimore, Maryland. My daughter is going to be attending the Acorn Hill Waldorf school in Silver Spring in the Fall. I am just curious about if I will get any questioning if I just sign the religious waiver and ommit the fact that my child was partially vaccinated. Have any had any difficulties from the Baltimore/Washington Waldorf schools?
#7 of 8 Old 05-30-2002, 01:15 PM

jennamama
I am in Baltimore and my daughter was partially vaccinated and I signed the religious waiver. I no longer go to the pediatrician who gave the few vaccines my dd did get, so there was no one to question if it was true that she never had any. It was last fall that that happened and I have never had anyone question it. Hope that helps!

Tracey
#8 of 8 Old 05-30-2002, 04:58 PM

There is a way around this from what I understand.

A religious exemption is based on religious beliefs you testify too having at the MOMENT YOU SIGN THE WAIVER. So if in the past you partially vax'd a child, and then changed your mind about vax's, and went to go get a religous waiver, that is NOT A CONTRADICTION. It is unimportant how long you had your faith, 2 seconds or 2 days before signing the waiver. The waiver is a testament to the *future* vaxing of your child...not the *past*.

What is *NOT* accepted usually is a "partial vax" faith. Legally, you either believe in them or not. So, get all the vax you want for your child BEFORE signing the waiver. That is what I have been told.

Hope this helps,

heartmama

Mother is the word for God on the hearts and lips of all little children--William Makepeace Thackeray

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page