If you homeschooled for years then your kids went to public school, can we talk? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-13-2011, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This makes year 9 that we have been homeschooling.  I dont have a lot of time to get into it right now but I am basically looking at a situation were nearly all of my children will be going to public school next year.  One of them is my autistic son that will be 5 years old by then.

Any advice from those that have been there done that?  I never planned on doing this I dont know the schedule, bus route, dress code, nothing.

Loved wife to JT and grateful mother to M (dd age 13) L (dd age 10) T (ds age 6) A (ds age 4) E (dd age 2) and C & S (twin boys born 10/13/10)
and yes, I blog. thumb.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 01-13-2011, 09:02 PM

well, i have never sent everyone all at once... but my oldest (16 yr old dd) went to high school this year and last year, and our oldest son (will be 13) is planning on going to school in the fall (8th grade). i guess all the nitty gritty is stuff you will have to look up at your particular school. my kids want to go and my dd transitioned really well and is doing great. i feel like my son will also do well, he is very motivated and really has been a great self lead learner. 

i would call the school and find out all the info you are needing. it is really simple. we just called the school and went and talked to them about the bus, the dress code etc. 

good luck. :)

h

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#3 of 6 Old 01-14-2011, 04:02 AM

I had to go to work and put my three youngest kids in school last year after almost 20 years of hs.Two are in High school one is in 1st. They have all made the transition extremely well.I'll (hopefully) be a licensed spec. ed teacher this time next year as I'm finishing an online degree.

I can tell you that under NCLB if you have a special needs child that you and your child's school will be part of a team that will help your child get services and make the most of the educational opportunities that are available.

I miss home school, but we've had so many snow days we still do alot of fun stuff at the house.P.M. me if you like.

#4 of 6 Old 01-14-2011, 06:20 AM

I know just how you feel... my 2 boys are going to school after hs'ing for 3yrs.  I made contact with the principal early and  got as much info as I could.  Things are a bit different here, as the dress code is uniforms ;)  but these days a LOT of schools/districts have websites where you can get information like dress code, bell times, school hours, and that sort of thing.  Here we have enrollment interviews, so I had the chance to sit down with the principal and make sure she understood the nature of the transition for us, and she is more than willing to do what's needed to help the kids enter school smoothly. 

Good luck mama, it may have a few bumpy patches, but I'm sure you & the kids will all do fine once you find your groove!

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#5 of 6 Old 01-14-2011, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)

There are several former homeschoolers on this board, and several old threads.

Most schools put together a packet of papers that has everything in it.

You might double post about your child with autism starting school on the special needs board.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#6 of 6 Old 01-14-2011, 08:30 AM

I haven't homeschooled but my son is moving from Montessori to grade one this fall and I assure you I don't know any of this stuff either. It will be ok. We are planning a tour and a visiting day for later in the spring (the school is open to it) for his comfort, and for your older kids that might help them if your schools are willing.

I double suggest posting on the special needs board about your 5 year old, since that is probably where some knowledge will really, really help you get him hooked up with the right supports. Given his age though I bet most parents dealing with similar issues will be right in the same boat with you.

~ Mum to Emily, March 12-16 2004, Noah, born Aug 2005, Liam, born January 2011, and wife to Carl since 1994. ~

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page