Traditional vs. Year Round school calendar pros & cons? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 02-15-2011, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We have the possibility of both options, traditional or a year round calendar, for DS when he starts kindergarten this year. I have my own ideas about what the pros & cons of each would be, but would love to hear other experiences. Tell me why you like one over the other, please!

#2 of 19 Old 02-15-2011, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)

It really depends on how wide spread year-round is in your area. In our county, the largest district (and it's one of the largest in the state) and a handful of smaller districts are traditional. My kids have always been on the traditional system. There was a push towards year-round about 15 years ago but only a handful of schools stuck with the true year-round model. The majority of families in those districts were unhappy and so most eventually moved back to traditional or to an adapted year-round where the summer is shortened from 11 weeks to 7 weeks and those weeks are made up with a 3 week break in Fall, 3 weeks at Winter and Spring breaks and additional days at Thanksgiving and such. The parents I know in the adapted year-round systems seem to really like it unlike those we know in true year-round.

Because most schools in our area are traditional, most of the activities work on this schedule. I know the true year-round kids get really screwed in activities when they are younger and out of jobs when they are older. A teen who only has 3 weeks off just can't compete with a kid who is going to be able to work full time for 13 weeks straight in the summer. Of course, you are talking of a little one and job isn't an issue yet lol. The major conflict for him will be activities. Many programs do try to accomodate but only at the beginning levels. Once your child is older and ready for advanced instruction, those camps are longer and not usually placed for the convience of year-rounders. Again, if year-round is the norm in your area, that could be different.  This may not be a big deal to you or to him.

Personally, we love traditional. We love the big break to really unwind. My kids like to fully immerse themselves in loved activities and enjoy the ability to hyper-focus, to spend many hours a day for week on one pursuit, ect. Granted, since my kids started school, I've always either worked for the school district (and so have the same vacations) or been a SAHM. This certainly makes summers easier as child-care and transportation isn't an issue. My DH can also rarely do any extended travel outside of summer as summer is the only real slow period at his work. My kids have always been ahead in school so no real issues with them maintaining skills. We are an excellent fit for traditional so of course, it's our preference.

Married mom of two, DD 17 and DS 13.
#3 of 19 Old 02-16-2011, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Around here with so many schooling options: public, private, charter; there are just too many school schedules too keep straight.  We homeschool but I work for a school district, that districts schedule is different than where we live etc.  Honestly it seems like kids are always in school here since they start in late July/early August and go to mid May for public school.

With year round schools the schedule can look like anything.

What I've heard from parents in this area is anything is fine.  They dont mind either type of schedule.  Daycares are able to accomodate odd schedules if needed.  Summer camps tend to run in 1 week sign ups (so you pay by the week) and we have lots of activies in the month of December as well.

The only concern is when a child transfers from a year round schedule to a traditional schedule. Sometimes they feel like there is no summer break.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#4 of 19 Old 02-16-2011, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)

I think it would depend on the other things going on where you live -- zoo day camp,swimming pools being open, the option to spend a day at the water park.

Where we live, the norm is 8 weeks off in the summer, 3 weeks off as fall break, and about a week and a half in the spring. Our school has a longer summer break and no fall break, and I kinda hate it. Nothing happens for the last 4 weeks before my kids start school. No camps. The water park is closed during the week, etc. It is beyond dull. (we are planning a nice vacation during that time next summer)

Many parents who work have trouble with the 3 week break because they don't have child care. Many other parents love it because the weather is wonderful. (Summer here is brutal).  

If your kids are going to school year round, they may have a hard time enjoying much of what your city offers.  I also think that as kids get older, having a complete break from school and the Work aspect of it is helpful. Fall is a fresh start, even the social groups become more fluid over the summer. I like a summer break!

BUT, and this is a big but, if one school seems like a better fit for your child overall, I wouldn't make the scheduling thing weigh into your choice much. There are more important things to consider.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#5 of 19 Old 02-16-2011, 05:56 PM

Year-round definitely is a disadvantage where we are. There's only one district in our city on it, and it's a small district. I know of several families in the districts that have dropped activities because they never coincided with the school schedule.

It's us: DH , DS ; DD ; and me . Also there's the . And the 3 . I . Oh, and .
#6 of 19 Old 02-17-2011, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

Y'all have given me some excellent things to think about. A lot of our "choice" is limited by the lottery factor for charter and magnet schools, but  traditional vs. year round will  be part of the decision on which of those schools we decide to try for. If we don't get into one of those then we have somewhat of a choice for general public school as well. Thanks for your thoughts!

#7 of 19 Old 02-18-2011, 04:15 AM

Well I would love it if the kids were only in school for fall and spring. Ofcourse we want most of the summer off,and I hate driving in the winter-so off then too! I would give up a bit of summer to avoid winter driving.

#8 of 19 Old 02-19-2011, 01:18 PM

I have three kids at an elementary school on our district's "alternate" calendar. The summer break is shortened to about 5 or 6 weeks, with the remaining time off scattered throughout the year. The kids love all the breaks throughout the year, and the summer vacation is short enough that they don't get bored. I think it really is a great schedule for the kids. However, it does present some day care problems. It's a challenge to figure out child care for that week off in October, that extended Thanksgiving break, that week in February, that second week of spring break in April, and every Friday in June.

Cyclemama  

#9 of 19 Old 02-22-2011, 03:49 AM

Here the school system have 6 weeks summer, 1 week in fall, 1 week in spring, and 2-3 weeks over Christmas season. Because this is the norm for all schools, it is a non-issue. I was raised in the traditional 12 week summer vacation and nothing the rest of the year. IMO, these summers were too long. Most of this time was wasted. And the rest of the year was horribly long, with no breaks.

I love the spread-out system. 6 weeks is long enough in the summer to still do things - either local trip to the water park or long vacation halfway across the world. And the long break at Christmas and the two weeks in fall and spring also give the opportunity to really relax with family and unwind. Plus with 7-10 days, there is still time for a short trip (if we have the money for it!).

#10 of 19 Old 02-22-2011, 12:39 PM

We have 11-12 weeks off in the summer in our traditional school schedule. Personally, I wish the kids had an 8-10 week break and put the remainder weeks during the year.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#11 of 19 Old 08-12-2011, 11:31 PM

There are two districts in our city, and in my district there are three year-round schools.  Their summer vacation is July 1-August 7, and they get a weeks vacation in October, and extra days for their Christmas and Spring vacation, and a few extra days throughout the year off as well.  The traditional schedule doesn't have the October break, and the summer vacation is July 1-August 31.  I would totally prefer Year-round but the school I love doesn't offer it :-(!

#12 of 19 Old 08-13-2011, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)

Personally I hate the idea of year round school and we HS and it's not offered in my area - but I have a friend in NC (Charlotte area) that has to use it so I know first hand about the negatives!

her child is special needs so it's good and bad===much better now that she isn't working with the on again off again breaks and the disruption that causes

one thing you might want to also think about is how your district does it (since all seem a bit different) I know one in NC that you can pick- so EX.- the BFF next door might do traditional and you do year round and the kids no longer are BFF's- not to mention how hard play dates become 

my friend also had to deal with lots of off for bad weather school days and just this year the school finally built in "weather-days" make-up days, and this over laps now into family vacations so it can really mix things up 

as others have said - the biggest draw back seems to be the time off and if you work full time that can be a nightmare for some to get care and also the breaks don't always work well for the child

also planning what the family does (vacations) can be a plus or a big negative when you want to take a long trip and the time doesn't work with school

seems to work best if you don't really work full time and can be flexible - so many just can't

there is a lot to think about- good luck

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#13 of 19 Old 08-13-2011, 07:27 PM

No way no how would I agree to a year-round model.  I'd homeschool.  We live in New England and the winters are loooooooong and the summers are glorious but short.  No way in hell I'd give up a single day of it!

But other than personal preference, I see the year-round model as problematic especially in high school.  How are kids supposed to work summer jobs when they don't have a traditional summer break?  Myself, I was expected to have saved up my own money for college through working (I worked during the school year too, but obviously ramped up my hours over the summer).  What would business is tourist areas, in particular, do when they are flooded with tourists from traditional-school areas when their own teenage summer workforce is in school?  What about teachers who work summer jobs?

Also, my oldest daughter has anxiety problems and she has a hard time transitioning.  End of the school year is hard for her, and the beginning is a little hard for her too.  I couldn't imagine going through that more than once a year!  She also takes herself very seriously and expects a lot of herself (all self-imposed, it's just her personality).  She really needs the summer to decompress and unwind and really concentrate on studying what interests her and her alone.

Wife to DH and mama to DD(7) blahblah.gifand DD(5) moon.gif...Lola the Wiener Dog dog2.gif, Faulkner the Little Giant dog2.gif, Ginger the Wonder Cat cat.gif,  Azkaban the blue parakeet, Sunny the yellow parakeet, 3 nameless hermit crabs, and a whole bunch of fish!

#14 of 19 Old 08-14-2011, 06:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)

Quote:
How are kids supposed to work summer jobs when they don't have a traditional summer break?  

well there's lots of baby-sitting job!  certain areas do have large drop out rates for older students

centers that you can get into will charge $$ and the constant change is not good for some students

it can also be really hard when so much of the country doesn't do year-round and if you are an older student and want to take "summer" program (ex- out of state scout program, etc)  and can't because you can't get enough time off 

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#15 of 19 Old 03-15-2014, 09:37 AM

Among educational time management tools (ie. school calendars) that were designed to improve student learning, one will not find the traditional school calendar. in fact, (look up Johns Hopkins Univ. "study on summer learning loss") you will find that the traditional school calendar is indeed, counter-productive to the principle educators' goal of improving student learning. So one should ask why would a parent allow a school system to tend to the education of their children and in doing so, condemn them to a guaranteed loss of "up to 25%" of the previous years learning? One must also conclude that monies spent to educate those children is retro-actively wasted. in our county that waste adds up to approximately 8-10 million dollars a year.

Why would a superintendent request a BOE to approve a calendar that offers a paltry 173 days of school, numerous discontinuities in learning, and yet can justify in their own minds that they are doing the citizens, students, communities, and our country a big service?
The traditional school calendar (tsc) has never been validated by a purposeful vetting by educators. There exists no documentation, not a single research finding that supports the use of the tsc as a positive factor in improved student learning.

Why, in the face of the obvious negative effects on learning, do our leaders adamantly support an inefficient, ineffective, and counter productive time management model? The tsc is simply a tradition that has outlived it's usefulness. It is now just a non-functioning vestige much like the human appendix that only rises to our consciousness when it causes discomfort.

I cannot find a single substantive characteristic of the tsc that supports student learning. A trimester calendar consisting of three three month trimesters separated by one month interims (Apr, Aug, Dec) will provide a optimal 200 days of instruction, three months holiday time, three readiness evaluations a year, three months availability of remediation/acceleration, increase graduation, decreased drop out rate, higher test scores and eventually, increased teacher and parent satisfaction.

I'm hoping that you have a better perspective on what your child is losing during the supper holidays. Up to one quarter of all learning will be forgotten, one quarter of your tax dollars wasted, and if you are a teacher up to one quarter of your teaching and prep time will have been wasted by the time school starts again.

Please re-think your support of the tsc, consider the TRIMESTER PROTOCOL as the "best fit" of all time management tools for the education of your children

bobbyray
#16 of 19 Old 05-12-2014, 01:02 AM

I live in Germany and here the children have the 'year round model'.  We have 6 weeks off in summer (in Bavaria that's from Aug 1-Sept 12; I wish it were earlier in the summer), then one week off at the end of Oct., two weeks at Christmas, one week in March, two weeks at Easter, and two weeks in June.  The schedule makes me a little nuts with planning but I think its terrific for kids.  It must seem to them like there is always a big holiday break coming up!

#17 of 19 Old 05-13-2014, 05:55 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
My daughter's school has a year-round calendar. I love it. She's off for six weeks in June/July, and then three weeks off after every nine-week quarter.
#18 of 19 Old 05-14-2014, 09:29 AM

It's funny, because while my school has a traditional calendar, we are only off for 8 weeks in the summer. We go back at the beginning of August. It seems like "year round" schools actually have more time off. That being said, we get a week for Thanksgiving, 2 weeks for Christmas, a week for Mardi Gras and a week for Easter.

#19 of 19 Old 05-14-2014, 11:08 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mar123 View Post

It's funny, because while my school has a traditional calendar, we are only off for 8 weeks in the summer. We go back at the beginning of August. It seems like "year round" schools actually have more time off. That being said, we get a week for Thanksgiving, 2 weeks for Christmas, a week for Mardi Gras and a week for Easter.

Our public schools have a 10-11 week summer, and all the other breaks are shorter than yours. I think we do 185 days.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page