Child-led curriculum pre-school and readiness for traditional school... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-23-2011, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We have a fabulous opportunity to participate in a great AP co-op preschool. We toured today and absolutely LOVED it as did DD.  I really think my spirited LO would benefit greatly from the activities and the freedom the school allows. 

My only question is will she suffer in a traditional school when the time comes from the lack of structure?  This school has been around since 1950 so I know they have to be doing something right, but I would love to hear from others who have experienced a school like this and how the transition to a traditional school was? 

We have also toured a Montessori and like aspects to that as well.  Is it crazy to do both at the same time?  Both have a 2 day a week toddler program, but with the Montessori it is a drop off situation...don't know how that will go over. smile.gif 

Here is a link to the website if anyone is curious. winky.gif

Mama to Madelynn 8/16/2009 and awaiting buggy #2 March/2011 , partner to DH

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 02-23-2011, 09:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

To answer your questions:

1. There is good research to show that children who go to academically focused preschools do NOT end up further ahead by the end of first grade. Children who go to play based preschools where they focus on play and emotional regulation do just as well, if not better. Even Montessori doesn't do much academic stuff in the early years -- they do practical life skills (filling, pouring, washing, etc.)

2. Yes, you're crazy to sign up a 2 year old for both the co-op and the Montessori. She's TWO. Two year olds need lots of time to explore and play.

Our kids went to a lovely Reggio Emilia daycare -- all child led, developmentally appropriate stuff. I kept them there for kindergarten precisely because I did not want my kids in a traditional academic program at such a young age. They both transitioned beautifully to regular public school. They have great powers of focus. They have a good ability to articulate their feelings. They have a good ability to understand others' emotions and to negotiate with their peers. Both have keen powers of observation and great imaginations. Both are academically advanced -- dd more so than ds, but that's her personality. Dd is a very focused child; ds is more of a dilettante.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#3 of 4 Old 02-23-2011, 11:08 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Both my kids went to developmental preschools. They did lots of nature exploration, all sorts of sensory activities, learned songs, heard stories, made their own snacks, cleaned their own messes, lots of creative play with natural toys. They raised silk-worms to moths. They knew the difference between male and female lobsters. They just loved preschool and both started kindergarten well above average.

I worked at a more academically focused preschool but it was aimed at disadvantaged kids. It was still play-based but unlike my kids preschools, we also actively taught letters, counting, writing, ect. You have to consider that at 4, impoverished children have heard 30 MILLION less words than their middle/upper class peers. They often don't have a lifestyle condusive to developing pre-reading skills and number sense naturally. For them, being in a more academic setting in preschool can make a tremendous difference long term. Your own child won't get the same benefit because she's not starting out so far behind.

Married mom of two, DD 17 and DS 13.
#4 of 4 Old 02-23-2011, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Lynn - Thank you.  I am happy to know that your children's experiences were so positive.  I knew as soon as I stepped into the school that it would be the right choice for us, it was just so different than any other school I toured it jarred me a bit.   I really don't think I would be comfortable with a drop off so the Montessori would be out at least for now anyway.

whatsnextmom - Thank you for sharing your experiences as well, it really makes me 100% confident that this is the right move. 

joy.gif

Mama to Madelynn 8/16/2009 and awaiting buggy #2 March/2011 , partner to DH

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page