Having to finish all classwork while out sick - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-24-2011, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

My DS has a bad cold (cough/fever/chills/body aches) that isn't getting better -- I'm taking him tomorrow to have him evaluated for pneumonia. He had a school holiday on Monday, and he's been out all week since (so he'll be missing 4 days total, assuming he's well enough to go next Monday). 

His teacher has sent home ALL of his classwork for this week for us to complete, but ... he's sick!! He's lying on the couch all day every day, barely wanting to get up to eat every once in a while. We've managed to get through a little more than half of the classwork packet from Tuesday, but that's it. This feels insurmountable! What would you guys do? 

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2011, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

In K and 1st ds had a weekly homework packet; that's probably all I'd do unless he really needed to work on a particular skill--and I'd wait until he was virtually well enough to go back to school.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
Old 02-24-2011, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)

What is the official policy on makeup work? Most schools put this in the school handbook.

Kids usually get one day of health per day they were off sick to catch up on work. Sometimes they end up going back to school and taking quizes or tests on material they missed, which is kinda crappy.

It helps to not be overly concerned with grades.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

Old 02-24-2011, 06:04 PM

Homework is something I routinely give my son a pass on. He does it when and if he wants. Most day he chooses to do it right when he gets home but if he is really tired after hockey or feeling punky from a cold, etc he might skip it all together.  I let him make the decision.

If your son is happy/wants to get it done in between naps on the couch, etc let him.  If he is too sick let him be.  If he is up to it over the weekend same thing.

Either way just give the teacher a heads up so she knows. My sons teacher knows our philosophy on homework but since he mostly does his home work I make a point to let her know when/why he didn't. 

Keeping my fingers crossed for you that its not pneumonia!!

Pardon me while I puke.gif

Old 02-24-2011, 07:03 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Email the teacher and find out what she will actually be grading. Everything else just do enough to learn the concepts and show mastery. Also ask the teacher about her expectations.

The last two years my son had teachers who sent reams home when he was sick. This year his teachers don't. He misses a recess so she can go over what he missed quick. He may do a coupe of questions per sheet for a bunch of worksheets just to show he understood and then he's caught up.

But most of it can wait until he is well.

Mom to DS 4/24/03 and DD 4/17/06
Old 02-24-2011, 08:26 PM

Your DS is not in school doing his work because he is sick-it is presumptuous to assume that he is able to work when he is sick. I would not even touch the work until he is ready to go back, unless he feels up to it. And then I would sift through any work that he has already mastered or is redundant and help him catch up on the rest once he is well. If there are no new concepts then I would be inclined to skip it altogether. Either way, I would send a note with whatever you decided to do or not to do.

I hope that your DS is soon on his way to recovery...

Apparently doing it rong and ruining it for everyone, but I don't give a crap anymorebanana.gif

Old 02-24-2011, 10:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyBearsMom View Post

Homework is something I routinely give my son a pass on. He does it when and if he wants. Most day he chooses to do it right when he gets home but if he is really tired after hockey or feeling punky from a cold, etc he might skip it all together.  I let him make the decision.

Homework only IF and WHEN a child wants?!?! It's ok to spend time on sports but schoolwork is only if they're not too tired after?!?!

I think a child should try to do work but if they're too sick then they're too sick. Talk to the teacher and explain how he's really sick and not just having some 'sick' days. 

Old 02-24-2011, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyBearsMom View Post

If your son is happy/wants to get it done in between naps on the couch, etc let him.  If he is too sick let him be.  If he is up to it over the weekend same thing.

Either way just give the teacher a heads up so she knows. My sons teacher knows our philosophy on homework but since he mostly does his home work I make a point to let her know when/why he didn't. 

Keeping my fingers crossed for you that its not pneumonia!!

This isn't Homework though, this is class work that just happens to be done at home because the kid isn't in class to do it.

OP - your son is still sick enough to not be able to do the work.  I'd let it go for another day or so until he is feeling better.  Get as much done as he can do before he goes back on Monday & then work on it little by little.

Old 02-25-2011, 04:09 AM

It's up to you and your son, whether you do it or not. I would look through the information that the teacher sent home, and if he already knows it, I wouldn't have him do it. If it's new information, then I would have him do it when he is feeling better. The teacher is just sending home what the class is doing. That way, your son won't be overwhelmed when he goes back.

I homeschool, so if my dd is sick, we wait to move on. Unfortunately, your son will have to move on even though he missed a week. 

Old 02-25-2011, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda on the move View Post

Kids usually get one day of health per day they were off sick to catch up on work.

This is the policy at our school.  Our teachers have tended to only send home a subset of the work that was done in class and then we have one extra day for each day we were home sick to get it done.   My DD often gets it done while lying around on the couch, but if not, I don't worry about it...

Old 02-25-2011, 06:15 AM

I would contact the teacher and get the work bumped to the next weekend when your child is well.My kids have been home all week.Ds with pneumonia,and my dd with the flu.My dd has homework but I will be darned if a child with a 105 temp is going to be responsible for ANY school work. I told her that I will send a note in with the teacher,and if my dd gets punished in anyway I will be in there raising cain.

I understand teachers wanting kids to have their work,but if they are home sick they shoud not be required to do it.As a parent we should have the right to request due dates be postponed. I am not suprised with this stuff though considering the schools don't even validate a sick day unless you prove it is true via a doctors note!

Speedy healings and watch out for pneumonia after that flu!

Old 02-25-2011, 09:05 AM

One reason that a teacher sends home work to be completed when a child is sick is because what is taught is often consecutive. If a child has no idea what was done while absent, he or she will be confused and possibly fall behind when returning. Now, much of that depends on the grade level of course. Even if a child cannot do all of the written work, at least looking over everything and being familiar with the work that was done can be helpful and prevent problems for the child. At my school, we give a child 3 days to make up work missed from an absence. At least that is the school rule; if a child is out longer due to a serious illness or death in the family, I will adjust that time on a case by case basis.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:09 AM

Our teacher doesn't require the kids catch up on work they've missed.  Mostly because he's explaining it in class so the kid usually has no clue.  He'll help them catch up when they go back.

I might email the teacher and let her know that he's too sick to do the work now but you'll work with him on it when he feels better (or whatever you're planning to do).

Old 02-25-2011, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar123 View Post

One reason that a teacher sends home work to be completed when a child is sick is because what is taught is often consecutive. If a child has no idea what was done while absent, he or she will be confused and possibly fall behind when returning.

(OP here.) Thanks -- it helps to view it from this perspective rather than feeling like we're being punished for keeping him home from school. I do want him to know all the concepts, but I'm feeling pressured to return every piece of paper completed -- in our school handbook, it says that students have 1 extra day per day of absence to complete classwork. So since he was out 4 days I guess that'd mean all this would be due next Thursday (assuming weekends don't count)? Which I guess sounds like a lot of time, but this is a LOT of work -- it's definitely all of his usual classwork and not just a sampling. It took us a total of about 3 hours to get through all the work from just one day (actually we still have 2 papers from that day to finish), and we have 3 more packets to complete. And next week, assuming he's in school, he'll have his regular homework to complete (which we have been keeping up on this week), so spending an extra hour or two per night would really be a lot of work. 

Ugh, I'm just frustrated with the whole thing. Last semester, DS was out sick 3 times (legitimately sick, having either thrown up the night before or with a fever, which the handbook says are the only 2 valid reasons to keep them home) and we got an admonishing letter sent home! I realize that the school loses money when he's not there, and many families probably do lie about absences, but it's really frustrating to play by the rules and still be treated like we're being "bad." And I guess this whole classwork thing sort of feels like that, like they think he must really be well enough to sit there and do hours of work every day, when he's really lying there glassy eyed and dizzy, not even interested in having a piece of the cake I made. greensad.gif

Old 02-25-2011, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Like above, the kids have always had as many days healthy as they have had sick to make-up work. I do encourage them to do some when they feel up to it. However, they've always had ample time to get the work done when they returned to school.

Talk to the teacher and find out the policy. She may be sending the work home but I doubt she really expects it's all done the day he comes back.

Married mom of two, DD 17 and DS 13.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post

(OP here.) Thanks -- it helps to view it from this perspective rather than feeling like we're being punished for keeping him home from school. I do want him to know all the concepts, but I'm feeling pressured to return every piece of paper completed -- in our school handbook, it says that students have 1 extra day per day of absence to complete classwork. So since he was out 4 days I guess that'd mean all this would be due next Thursday (assuming weekends don't count)? Which I guess sounds like a lot of time, but this is a LOT of work -- it's definitely all of his usual classwork and not just a sampling. It took us a total of about 3 hours to get through all the work from just one day (actually we still have 2 papers from that day to finish), and we have 3 more packets to complete. And next week, assuming he's in school, he'll have his regular homework to complete (which we have been keeping up on this week), so spending an extra hour or two per night would really be a lot of work. 

Ugh, I'm just frustrated with the whole thing. Last semester, DS was out sick 3 times (legitimately sick, having either thrown up the night before or with a fever, which the handbook says are the only 2 valid reasons to keep them home) and we got an admonishing letter sent home! I realize that the school loses money when he's not there, and many families probably do lie about absences, but it's really frustrating to play by the rules and still be treated like we're being "bad." And I guess this whole classwork thing sort of feels like that, like they think he must really be well enough to sit there and do hours of work every day, when he's really lying there glassy eyed and dizzy, not even interested in having a piece of the cake I made. greensad.gif

OP, I know this is off-topic, but I'm so curious...what type of school does your son attend where you only pay if he shows up? I'm assuming private school of some sort, given the fact you're paying at all, but I remember even in daycare I didn't get a pass on paying if my daughter didn't show up. 

As to the homework, I can remember being sick and bored to tears as a child! I remember asking for homework. I was too sick to go to school & make myself sicker (not to mention get other people sick) but well enough to be bored. It could be the teacher is thinking she's doing him a favour. Since he's seriously ill though, all bets are off. His main goal is to get better, and I can see from your sig he's young still, not in high school preparing for big exams or anything. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie Mac View Post

OP, I know this is off-topic, but I'm so curious...what type of school does your son attend where you only pay if he shows up? I'm assuming private school of some sort, given the fact you're paying at all, but I remember even in daycare I didn't get a pass on paying if my daughter didn't show up.

I don't think the OP is paying any money. A lot of public school systems get their funding apportioned based on student man-hours. So they can get tetchy about a kid missing X hours of time in school. And the districts don't pay any attention to if a child is at home doing the work or anything.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:

Public schools receive funds based on attendance.  If children are out then they don't get the $$ for those kids from those days.

-Angela

Old 02-25-2011, 10:01 AM

We are talking pick up pond hockey in our neighborhood. shrug.gif He does play organized sports but that is one night a week and one weekend day. He has no other organized commitments.

In our family good physical exercises and PLAY is just as important as school. He is at school from 8 am until 3:15.  That is plenty of schoolwork. I feel no need prioritize homework over downtime, family time, spending time outdoors, playing with friends, etc. 

If the work interests him then he can choose to do it, which he often does. He recently completed a series on archeology and was pumped to come home and learn more. I have to admit that he didn't do the standardized worksheets the teacher sent home but instead created an in-depth collage/report that outlined a typical dig. It was awesome!  Honestly- I find most of the work sent home is because parents expect homework and its just busy work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elus0814 View Post

Homework only IF and WHEN a child wants?!?! It's ok to spend time on sports but schoolwork is only if they're not too tired after?!?!

I think a child should try to do work but if they're too sick then they're too sick. Talk to the teacher and explain how he's really sick and not just having some 'sick' days. 

Old 02-25-2011, 10:04 AM

You are right. Sorry about that!

However I hold to do it only if the child is well enough.  What is he going to learn if he so sick he can't get up off the couch?  Missing 4 days of his school at his age should have no long term impact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieMF View Post

This isn't Homework though, this is class work that just happens to be done at home because the kid isn't in class to do it.

OP - your son is still sick enough to not be able to do the work.  I'd let it go for another day or so until he is feeling better.  Get as much done as he can do before he goes back on Monday & then work on it little by little.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post

Public schools receive funds based on attendance.  If children are out then they don't get the $$ for those kids from those days.

-Angela

Really??? Here, they get funds based on registration numbers, not daily attendance numbers. Wow. The cost of administering and keeping track of such a method of funding probably outweighs any possible savings (savings from the gov't's point of view, that is). I had no idea. Again, wow.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Really??? Here, they get funds based on registration numbers, not daily attendance numbers. Wow. The cost of administering and keeping track of such a method of funding probably outweighs any possible savings (savings from the gov't's point of view, that is). I had no idea. Again, wow.

Yes, I meant federal funds for attendance at public schools. They hate it when you "play hooky" here, because they lose money for each empty classroom seat each day. 

Old 02-25-2011, 10:35 AM

Actually, the teaching was basically giving your son  extra days to do the work.  He was gone 4 days-Tues, Wed, Thurs, and Friday, right?  So, if he shows up on Monday, gets all the make up work on Monday, then he has Monday, Tues, Wed, and Thurs to do it, it has to be in on Friday.

This way, your child now has Saturday and Sunday to do the work also.  I would be thrilled if a teacher took the initiative to send the work home in advance like that, instead of waiting until the child returns, which is how most teachers that I have had experience (including when I myself was teaching) with operate.

As to why schools get antsy that kids are out, it really is more about the students learning and much less about financials.  Attendance is one of the biggest indicators of student performance-in most cases, kids to go to school more days do better in school.  As another poster mentioned, lessons are often built upon each other.  So, when teaching, for example, sentence structure in grammer, day one's lesson might be on subjects, day two's on predicates, etc etc. 

Old 02-25-2011, 10:55 AM

Schools do get funding for each student, but those numbers are not counted year round every day, etc. For us, from the start of school until Oct 1, we are manic about attendance and making sure every kid is here. We have to submit those numbers and our funding is based on that. Sometimes we can hire new teachers after Oct 1 if our numbers are high enough. Many schools are facing new attendance laws due to the opportunity for federal education money, such as "race to the top." Our state now says a child can only miss 5 days in one semester or they fail the course. There is a limit of 3 excused absences. If a child has a lengthy illness, he has to apply for a special waiver. It is a PITA. But it comes from higher ups, not the people in the trenches, trust me. We have so many kids coming to school sick now, which just makes everything spread like wildfire.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:02 AM

I meant to add, there are very little federal funds for education. It is state money, hence the reason schools differ so much from state to state. The federal funding is mostly for special education services, which are mandated by the federal government. There are some federal funding opportunities out there but the hoops you have to jump through to get them are unreal.

And I wanted to clarify: Schools do NOT get X number of dollars per student per day. It is an overall number set by the number of students in the school from day day 1-day X (depends on your state). Actually, the district gets the money, and they parcell it out from there. The average ranges per student. In My state is about 8K per student. In WI it is 10K (saw it on the news, LOL). But nowhere near that much makes it to the classroom. But that is a story for another day. eyesroll.gif

Old 02-25-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post

I don't think the OP is paying any money. A lot of public school systems get their funding apportioned based on student man-hours. So they can get tetchy about a kid missing X hours of time in school. And the districts don't pay any attention to if a child is at home doing the work or anything.

Depends on the district. Here they get their funding based on the number of kids enrolled on a certain date(used to be Oct 30, not sure if it's the same date or not).  It is in the first 2-3 months of school though.   Attendance after that has nothing to do with their funding.  They get extra funding after IF they have special needs kids come into their school.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:05 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)

I suggest e-mailing the teacher and telling her that your son is too ill to do class work right now.  Maybe ask if she can boil down the work to a few brief worksheets that are geared towards the essential knowledge for the lessons being missed so he can keep up with the class when he is back in school and tell her you will try to get him to do those if he has any periods of time when he isn't too drained.  Make it clear that if that isn't an option that he will have to do his catching up once he is better because he is too sick right now.  Most of the teacher's in our area focus on essential learning, especially when a child is sick, so that hasn't been a huge issue here.  We did have one teacher who sent home a bunch of stuff that I later threw away.  They don't assign grades and they don't hold kids back here so I wasn't concerned about her missing really boring worksheets with skills on them she could already do.  Her teacher never asked about it. 

Old 02-26-2011, 02:30 AM - Thread Starter

(OP here.) Thanks so much for all your replies. I have to redeem the poor teacher here -- I made some bad assumptions. When I initially started this thread, she had only sent home 1 day's worth of classwork, and I knew she planned to send more home today and leapt to the conclusion that she'd be sending home classwork for all 3 of the remaining days. But I got the packet today, and it only contains Friday's classwork. redface.gif

So I think that's reasonable, and we can definitely finish that by the end of next week. I'm so glad that she has reasonable expectations, and I've learned a lesson not to leap to judgment before I have all the facts! 

Oh, and DS doesn't have pneumonia and actually his fever finally seems to have broken, so I think we'll get back on track pretty soon here. thumb.gif

Old 02-26-2011, 07:47 AM

So glad its not pneumonia!!! Hope he feels better soon.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post

(OP here.) Thanks so much for all your replies. I have to redeem the poor teacher here -- I made some bad assumptions. When I initially started this thread, she had only sent home 1 day's worth of classwork, and I knew she planned to send more home today and leapt to the conclusion that she'd be sending home classwork for all 3 of the remaining days. But I got the packet today, and it only contains Friday's classwork. redface.gif

So I think that's reasonable, and we can definitely finish that by the end of next week. I'm so glad that she has reasonable expectations, and I've learned a lesson not to leap to judgment before I have all the facts! 

One more update, from last week -- I spoke too soon! The teacher did end up sending home packets for the other 2 days, so we're having to complete all classwork he missed while he was out. We're still working on it -- I'm having him to 2 pages per night in addition to his regular homework, and it'll take however long it takes. shrug.gif

User Tag List