Moving mid-school year/semester - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-27-2011, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am considering moving to another house, and it may happen before my children's school year ends.  It would probably be across school district lines.  What should I do?  Transfer DD schools for the last month or two; try to keep her in the school she is presently in (if the district would allow it--her brother is in the district's self-contained autism class and will remain at the same school regardless, but since the district transports him, they would be aware we had moved; so no just keeping it on the down-low); or withdrawing her and home schooling for the remainder of the year.  I really like where she is now.  She is in a really good school and has a great teacher.  The other school--not so much.

*I've heard of this district forcing the kids to transfer when there was only a week left in the school year, but that may have been exaggeration.

We have no family in the area whom we could say that DD lives with them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2011, 06:48 PM

TALK to the school division & find out for sure what your options are.

If you like the school & it isn't too far to drive you may be able to keep your child in that school in future years.   If not you may be able to keep them there for the rest of this year.

If they won't budge, is there any reason you can't move until after the school year is over?

Old 02-27-2011, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieMF View Post
If they won't budge, is there any reason you can't move until after the school year is over?

We live in military post housing and are requesting an upgrade to a 4 bedroom house because DD1 is turning 10.   If one were to come available, we have to take it or turn it down, but if we turn it down, we go to the bottom of the wait list.  There are about 6 schools that service this post.

I wish they'd have just let us have a 4 bedroom in the first place, but noooo, the 9 year old and the baby could technically share a room because they are both girls.  If the two younger were the same gender, then we still would not qualify, but since they are opposite, we do.  The two younger kids (ages 7 and almost 2) share a room right now, but they keep each other up more and more these days.

DH is not willing to wait until after the school year ends to request a transfer--besides, we can request a transfer and it not go through until the next year begins.

I think first choice is try to keep her where she is, second pull her and home school her, and distant third is transfer with two or three months left in the school year.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2lilsweetfoxes View Post

We live in military post housing and are requesting an upgrade to a 4 bedroom house because DD1 is turning 10.   If one were to come available, we have to take it or turn it down, but if we turn it down, we go to the bottom of the wait list.  There are about 6 schools that service this post.

DH is not willing to wait until after the school year ends to request a transfer--besides, we can request a transfer and it not go through until the next year begins.

I think first choice is try to keep her where she is, second pull her and home school her, and distant third is transfer with two or three months left in the school year.

In this case, if the district wants you to go, perhaps there is a mechanism in place to keep them from doing this to military families.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
Old 02-28-2011, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

I called the district and the lady who answered the phone told me it was up to the individual school, but that they would not provide transport.  No biggie; we expected as much.  So, I called the school and they said it shouldn't be a problem because she already attends--until the end of the year.  I don't know if her "new" school would have to release her.  But, it happens quite often; at least often enough that it doesn't send everyone into a tailspin.  She's testing for the gifted program and if she gets a slot, she would change schools next year (and they do transport for that).

User Tag List