Moving mid-school year/semester - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2011, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter
 
2lilsweetfoxes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: My own little world...
Posts: 1,318
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am considering moving to another house, and it may happen before my children's school year ends.  It would probably be across school district lines.  What should I do?  Transfer DD schools for the last month or two; try to keep her in the school she is presently in (if the district would allow it--her brother is in the district's self-contained autism class and will remain at the same school regardless, but since the district transports him, they would be aware we had moved; so no just keeping it on the down-low); or withdrawing her and home schooling for the remainder of the year.  I really like where she is now.  She is in a really good school and has a great teacher.  The other school--not so much.

 

*I've heard of this district forcing the kids to transfer when there was only a week left in the school year, but that may have been exaggeration.

 

We have no family in the area whom we could say that DD lives with them.

2lilsweetfoxes is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-27-2011, 06:48 PM
 
CarrieMF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Alberta/Saskatchewan
Posts: 8,864
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

TALK to the school division & find out for sure what your options are.

 

If you like the school & it isn't too far to drive you may be able to keep your child in that school in future years.   If not you may be able to keep them there for the rest of this year.

 

If they won't budge, is there any reason you can't move until after the school year is over?

CarrieMF is offline  
Old 02-27-2011, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter
 
2lilsweetfoxes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: My own little world...
Posts: 1,318
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieMF View Post
If they won't budge, is there any reason you can't move until after the school year is over?


We live in military post housing and are requesting an upgrade to a 4 bedroom house because DD1 is turning 10.   If one were to come available, we have to take it or turn it down, but if we turn it down, we go to the bottom of the wait list.  There are about 6 schools that service this post.

 

I wish they'd have just let us have a 4 bedroom in the first place, but noooo, the 9 year old and the baby could technically share a room because they are both girls.  If the two younger were the same gender, then we still would not qualify, but since they are opposite, we do.  The two younger kids (ages 7 and almost 2) share a room right now, but they keep each other up more and more these days.

 

DH is not willing to wait until after the school year ends to request a transfer--besides, we can request a transfer and it not go through until the next year begins.

 

I think first choice is try to keep her where she is, second pull her and home school her, and distant third is transfer with two or three months left in the school year.

2lilsweetfoxes is offline  
Old 02-28-2011, 07:11 AM
 
Emmeline II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 8,558
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by 2lilsweetfoxes View Post




We live in military post housing and are requesting an upgrade to a 4 bedroom house because DD1 is turning 10.   If one were to come available, we have to take it or turn it down, but if we turn it down, we go to the bottom of the wait list.  There are about 6 schools that service this post.


DH is not willing to wait until after the school year ends to request a transfer--besides, we can request a transfer and it not go through until the next year begins.

 

I think first choice is try to keep her where she is, second pull her and home school her, and distant third is transfer with two or three months left in the school year.

 

In this case, if the district wants you to go, perhaps there is a mechanism in place to keep them from doing this to military families.
 


"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
Emmeline II is offline  
Old 02-28-2011, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter
 
2lilsweetfoxes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: My own little world...
Posts: 1,318
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I called the district and the lady who answered the phone told me it was up to the individual school, but that they would not provide transport.  No biggie; we expected as much.  So, I called the school and they said it shouldn't be a problem because she already attends--until the end of the year.  I don't know if her "new" school would have to release her.  But, it happens quite often; at least often enough that it doesn't send everyone into a tailspin.  She's testing for the gifted program and if she gets a slot, she would change schools next year (and they do transport for that).

2lilsweetfoxes is offline  
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off