Storing School Work - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 13 Old 03-05-2011, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter
 
TiredX2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: it appears to be a handbasket
Posts: 20,475
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

How do you store your kids school work?  Long term, I mean.

 

I'd like to keep their art work, some special papers, etc...  Do you?  If so, what do you use.  Please, feel free to spam me.


 

 

TiredX2 is offline  
#2 of 13 Old 03-05-2011, 12:56 PM
 
whatsnextmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,949
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Depends, are you talking my first child or my second lol. I'm more a digital archiver now. In the beginning, I kept these large bins with school work. Eventually, I went through them all. I scanned in and burned my favorite artwork, stories and classwork onto DVD. I only saved a handful of hard copies along with 1 elementary journal per grade (they would fill a journal a month so could hardly keep them all!) Each has a bin and it's marked with their name and what it is. I don't stress about the archival quality boxes. Most are expensive and not water-proof. Besides, most of my kids stuff is stored digitally too.

 

Each child also has 2 scrapbooks (old-fashioned kind, not the fancy scissor kind.) One is for theatre because they do several plays a year. Each show gets a program, a ticket stub, a check stub if they got paid for it, a couple pictures, newspaper clippings, ect. I try to keep it down to 2 pages a show but there are a couple that have more, some that just have 1. Each child also has another scrapbook that holds all the other stuff... award certificates, ribbons, karate events, school talent shows, team pictures from sports, picture of child with trophy, orchestra programs, special honors or activities they participated in. I try to stick to the same "on page per event" and always include a picture with it. I also scan in these items so they are available digitally. The kids love to look through the books and it's nice to have something all laid out and easy to look at. That's the problem with the bins, they aren't particularly accessable but since I don't want any more furniture in the house, the bins are good for the garage.

 

My long-term advice, go through the stuff every few years. It's really, really hard to give up all those preschool pictures when they are 4 but when they are 13, it's much easier to narrow it down to 3 favorites. You sort of have to otherwise you don't have room for all the stuff they've done since that you aren't ready to let go of yet lol.

 

 

 

 


Married mom of two, DD 17 and DS 13.
whatsnextmom is online now  
#3 of 13 Old 03-05-2011, 01:20 PM
 
HollyBearsMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: nomans land
Posts: 6,197
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I posted this on your other thread...

 

 

I am SO not sentimental so I am probably the last person who should be posting, LOL

 

I have a spiral bound book similar to the one linked below.  There is a large "envelope" for each school year K-8.  The outside has a place for a photo, notes about where we lived, best friends, pets, favorite things etc. The only paper work I save is what can fit in the envelope, which is not a lot. The rest gets tossed.

 

I do have 2 magnetic picture frames on the fridge and two hanging frames in the breakfast area that I routinely swap in new art work that comes home. Once it comes out if its good enough it goes in the "envelope" otherwise it gets tossed.

 

http://www.calendars.com/Memories-of-My-School-Days-Organizer/prod126654/

 
 

Pardon me while I puke.gif

HollyBearsMom is offline  
#4 of 13 Old 03-05-2011, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
 
TiredX2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: it appears to be a handbasket
Posts: 20,475
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsnextmom View Post

 

My long-term advice, go through the stuff every few years. It's really, really hard to give up all those preschool pictures when they are 4 but when they are 13, it's much easier to narrow it down to 3 favorites. You sort of have to otherwise you don't have room for all the stuff they've done since that you aren't ready to let go of yet lol.

 


I'm realizing this now.  When I put away their frist spelling tests and stuff they seemed precious.  Now they seem... cluttery.

 

Having had my mom lovingly save each and every greeting card I recieved in my life, to then give it to me when I was 25 and I proceeded to recycle them I realize that a lot of this stuff probably just isn't going to bring long term joy to anyone, lol.
 

 


 

 

TiredX2 is offline  
#5 of 13 Old 03-05-2011, 06:28 PM
 
CarrieMF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Alberta/Saskatchewan
Posts: 8,930
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I keep anything with a picture of them on it(real picture, not drawn), report cards, their writing journals, stuff with personal info(ie, I weighed X amount at X age), stuff with handprints, awards, anything with a newspaper article/picture with them in it.

 

My kids are in Grades, 3, 4 & 7. They all did 2 years of playschool.  i have everything in a small-medium sized plastic tub.

CarrieMF is offline  
#6 of 13 Old 03-07-2011, 08:09 AM
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,722
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I keep artwork,stories,journals.All goes into a plastic tote box.

mattemma04 is offline  
#7 of 13 Old 03-27-2011, 02:27 PM
 
momandwriter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Leesburg, VA
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

When my kindergartener and 2nd grader come home we immediately look through all their papers in their backpacks.  After I look at everything and the kids comment on them, we agree on what goes in the trash (worksheets, coloring pages, etc.) and we keep things that are meaningful like their written work, original art, and papers they are particularly proud of.  Each of my kids has a file in a big plastic file box, and they go and file it under their name.  There's also a file for "work in progress" if they're in the middle of something and they want to store it for awhile.  At the end of each school year, we go through their files together and make a small pile of their favorite work and put it in their permanent memory box in the closet.  That is all their work I'll give them when they're older.

momandwriter is offline  
#8 of 13 Old 03-27-2011, 04:17 PM
 
pregnant@40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 585
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Wow, great info. I never considered digital, though I have a scanner & computer. Thanks for the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsnextmom View Post

Depends, are you talking my first child or my second lol. I'm more a digital archiver now. In the beginning, I kept these large bins with school work. Eventually, I went through them all. I scanned in and burned my favorite artwork, stories and classwork onto DVD. I only saved a handful of hard copies along with 1 elementary journal per grade (they would fill a journal a month so could hardly keep them all!) Each has a bin and it's marked with their name and what it is. I don't stress about the archival quality boxes. Most are expensive and not water-proof. Besides, most of my kids stuff is stored digitally too.

 

Each child also has 2 scrapbooks (old-fashioned kind, not the fancy scissor kind.) One is for theatre because they do several plays a year. Each show gets a program, a ticket stub, a check stub if they got paid for it, a couple pictures, newspaper clippings, ect. I try to keep it down to 2 pages a show but there are a couple that have more, some that just have 1. Each child also has another scrapbook that holds all the other stuff... award certificates, ribbons, karate events, school talent shows, team pictures from sports, picture of child with trophy, orchestra programs, special honors or activities they participated in. I try to stick to the same "on page per event" and always include a picture with it. I also scan in these items so they are available digitally. The kids love to look through the books and it's nice to have something all laid out and easy to look at. That's the problem with the bins, they aren't particularly accessable but since I don't want any more furniture in the house, the bins are good for the garage.

 

My long-term advice, go through the stuff every few years. It's really, really hard to give up all those preschool pictures when they are 4 but when they are 13, it's much easier to narrow it down to 3 favorites. You sort of have to otherwise you don't have room for all the stuff they've done since that you aren't ready to let go of yet lol.

 

 

 

 



 

pregnant@40 is offline  
#9 of 13 Old 04-01-2011, 06:36 PM
 
SeekingSerenity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hiding out in the mountains
Posts: 1,747
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I came on here to ask pretty much the same question... my kids just went "into the system" this year. I had homeschooled them until we moved here, but this year my son entered the public school system at grade 2, my daughter in Kindergarten and my toddler went into preschool/daycare. Suddenly, I am DROWNING in paper. I have stacks everywhere. I came here to ask, what the heck do you DO with this stuff? Papers are my weakness, they tend to be the one thing I packrat the most, and I just do not have the room to start hoarding schoolwork. I read a suggestion somewhere about investing in one of those plastic rolly-carts with the three drawers that are folder sized, and then putting the kids' stuff in the drawers (one drawer for each kid, in my case). Then sort through it later - that cute little picture of the daisy with the smiley face that my DD brought home from her first week of kindergarten may or may not look so precious at the end of May when I sort through the stack and find that she's since brought home fourteen pictures that look almost exactly the same. And while my Lil Man's darling first pictures are simply adorable now, I seriously doubt in a year or so that I will feel the same way about the photo-copied picture of a crab that's covered with nothing but purple crayon scribbles. Hmmm.

 

I like the digital idea. I'd actually already thought of that for one cute little storyboard thing my 2nd grader brought home (because it is actually rather funny), since I wanted to post it on Facebook. I hadn't thought of archiving the smiling daisy pictures and scribbly crabs that way... because then I can decide later if it's worth keeping and even if I'm not sure, well, I have plenty of disk space so it doesn't have to be deleted. LOL

 

I will have to wait for my student loan disbursement for the cart thing, since right now I can't even spare the $20, but hey, at least I will be able to get it eventually. Until then... maybe I should start sorting through those stacks. I guess I really don't need all the worksheets and graded tests... I swear, these kids are decimating a forest apiece with the papers they go through in public school. *sigh*


)O(   Far-away Mama to: Pooka (16)...Alex (14)...Mickie-Lamb (13)...Solo Mama to: Punkin' Seed (8)...Tootsie Pop (6)...Lil' Man (3) and a yikes2.gif due February 2012

~~~~ribbonpurple.gifDV Survivor/Fibroribbonpurple.gif~~~~ 

4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32**heartbeat.gif36***40

SeekingSerenity is offline  
#10 of 13 Old 04-01-2011, 06:53 PM
 
MomtoDandJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I use brown accordion files. They have dividers so I can separate number work from letter work from art work, etc. and the ones I get have super deep pockets and a flap that folds over the top to keep all the pages in. What I like the best is that I can write on the front of each file my child's name and the year and they stack really easily one on top of another in my closest. And if one year we have a lot of pages, the accordion expands and if another year we don't have as many, the accordion still works just fine. Plus, they're super cheap -- less than $5 even for "top of the line" ones with fancy closures smile.gif
MomtoDandJ is offline  
#11 of 13 Old 04-06-2011, 09:36 AM
 
LoveToKnit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I bought a few one-inch binders and some of the clear plastic sleeves. I like to think of it as inexpensive and fast scrapbooking! smile.gif I just slide stuff I want to keep into individual sleeves.
LoveToKnit is offline  
#12 of 13 Old 04-06-2011, 10:22 AM
 
GuildJenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,776
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

All year I throw almost everything into a box the size of a banker's box.

 

Then it spends one year in a closet.

 

Then the third year I go through it and recycle the vast majority of it, and put the few select items left in a scrapbook/album (sleeves, so it's quick and easy) along with a few pictures and whatever else significant came our way that year (hospital bracelet, etc.)

 

I find I need the quiet year to get a bit of distance, and then it's just one album/yr/child.


~ Mum to Emily, March 12-16 2004, Noah, born Aug 2005, Liam, born January 2011, and wife to Carl since 1994. ~
GuildJenn is offline  
#13 of 13 Old 04-06-2011, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter
 
TiredX2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: it appears to be a handbasket
Posts: 20,475
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by GuildJenn View Post

All year I throw almost everything into a box the size of a banker's box.

 

Then it spends one year in a closet.

 

Then the third year I go through it and recycle the vast majority of it, and put the few select items left in a scrapbook/album (sleeves, so it's quick and easy) along with a few pictures and whatever else significant came our way that year (hospital bracelet, etc.)

 

I find I need the quiet year to get a bit of distance, and then it's just one album/yr/child.



That is awesome.  I think I need to be consistent about this.


 

 

TiredX2 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off