School work sheets: little irrationalities. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-11-2011, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

irked.gif

Dear son and I are both so literal minded. You know how on worksheets the line given to write a response on is sometimes much too small to write on?  Especially for a young person?  I remember this ticking me off when I was a kid, and my eleven year old son is griping about the same thing right now. 

And all I can do is agree with him. "I totally agree, Sweetie. It's nuts how small that line is.  I don't know how you're supposed to write the whole answer on that itty bitty line.  Just put it on a separate piece of paper and if Mrs. Whatsit gets mad at you about it let me know."

Someone moved my effing cheese.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2011, 10:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Stuff  like that used to bother me too! 

Your post made me remember the time I helped our neighbor's son with his homework.  (His mom wasn't very fluent in English, so she wasn't sure she understood the directions.  I was pre-kids, and he was in 2nd grade, maybe.)  He had a line map of Africa and a list of questions.  Many of them were like this:  "What country is south of Egypt?"  He was confused because there were *many* countries that were south of Egypt!  I totally validated his logic and told him he was 100% correct.  Then I explained that they probably meant what country is *immediately* south of Egypt.   Amazing that no grown ups caught that.

Stephanie mom to Brianna (6/00) , Alexander (6/02) , and Ethan (9/07) .
Old 04-11-2011, 10:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Those short lines drive my daughter crazy too; sometimes she writes so small to fit it on the line the teacher must need a magnifying glass to read it.

My 6yo daughter is very literal and wants to do everything her way.  At the beginning of the year she brought home a graded worksheet from school - a test.  One section said 'Draw a circle around the bus'.  She drew a three-dimensional circle around the bus with dotted lines to show the portion of the circle behind the bus.  She was very upset when the teacher said it was not correct because the circle must go around the bus from top to bottom.  Another section of the worksheet said 'Draw a line under the bus'.  My daughter also got that one wrong because she drew a vertical line under the bus instead of a horizontal line.  She cried...'it didn't say underline the bus!'   I actually agree with my daughter and think her answers s/h/b marked as correct!

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv my 2 sweeties View Post

Many of them were like this:  "What country is south of Egypt?"  He was confused because there were *many* countries that were south of Egypt!  I totally validated his logic and told him he was 100% correct.  Then I explained that they probably meant what country is *immediately* south of Egypt.   Amazing that no grown ups caught that.

Not a worksheet but a similar situation...My son, age 6, came home recently confused because his teacher talked about a country 'under' the United States.  He couldn't figure out how a country c/b under another country.  She meant 'South of'.

User Tag List