Teacher issue...WWYD - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-12-2011, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This year I requested my younger child not have Mrs.A for a teacher.  My older child had Mrs. A, and in my honest opinion, Mrs. A does not belong in a classroom.  Not only that, Mrs. A flat out refuses to answer questions, talk about the curriculum, or send class work home.

So the school honored my request, and my child has had a great teacher.

But now they have split some classes into ability groups...and guess what...now my kid is going to have Mrs. A for math(which essentially means I'll need to "homeschool" for math now) for the rest of the school year.

I don't think I will say anything, as younger child doesn't know the backstory, and it would be confusing for him.  I am frustrated though, that after I had put in this request he would end up having to spend tim with the teacher anyway.

#2 of 7 Old 04-12-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coral123 View Post

But now they have split some classes into ability groups...and guess what...now my kid is going to have Mrs. A for math(which essentially means I'll need to "homeschool" for math now) for the rest of the school year.

I don't think I will say anything, as younger child doesn't know the backstory, and it would be confusing for him.  I am frustrated though, that after I had put in this request he would end up having to spend tim with the teacher anyway.

shrug.gif I would say something. It could just be that whomever divided up the children didn't know about the request, or that the original request was so long ago that it was forgotten. We explained to our (then) 6yo why we were placing him in a different school for the following year, a lot of which had to do with how the administration handled his behavior issues. It may be as simple as telling him "the school put you on the list for Mrs. A's groups instead of Mrs. B's groups by mistake", and if necessary "Mrs. A doesn't like to answer student questions or tell us what you are doing in class and we think that is important."

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#3 of 7 Old 04-12-2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmeline II View Post
shrug.gif I would say something. It could just be that whomever divided up the children didn't know about the request, or that the original request was so long ago that it was forgotten. 

I agree. I'm not sure if schools keep records of those things or they're just an oral agreement. The person who split the kids likely has no clue that you made that request. The only concern I'd see is that if it's been split by ability, your child will have to go into the "wrong" group unless they're going to move the entire group from Mrs. A and put another group with her.

It's us: DH , DS ; DD ; and me . Also there's the . And the 3 . I . Oh, and .
#4 of 7 Old 04-12-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionaryMom View Post

I agree. I'm not sure if schools keep records of those things or they're just an oral agreement. The person who split the kids likely has no clue that you made that request. The only concern I'd see is that if it's been split by ability, your child will have to go into the "wrong" group unless they're going to move the entire group from Mrs. A and put another group with her.

Good pointinnocent.gif.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#5 of 7 Old 04-12-2011, 03:04 PM

And it'll be waaay less confusing to your ds to change things out ASAP than after he's gotten into trouble with A's poor teaching.

If you wait until he's confused and she isn't answering questions, he could think that the change is because of his lack of ability or something equally disastrous.

#6 of 7 Old 04-13-2011, 05:13 AM

Many schools don't accept "requests", or if they do, it's a one time thing. Also, just because your one child had problems with Mrs. A doesn't mean the other will. Given that there's likely only a month or two of school left, I wouldn't cause an issue.

#7 of 7 Old 04-13-2011, 06:25 AM

When a request is made for a teacher or in your case, to not have a teacher, that means the primary teacher will be the one you requested (or requested to not have.) The school will not make sure that your child has no interaction with a certain teacher. If they act in a manner that a certain child be "protected" or "sheltered" from a certain teacher well that opens up all kinds of, for lack of a better term, liabilities. The administration hired this teacher and continues to let them teach thereby contractually agreeing that they are a fit teacher.

If the school has an open door policy, I would get in there when your child has math and observe. The school will act quickly (or should) if the parent has concrete and current observations of wrongful doing. Although will usually need more than one incident and from more than one parent. Sighting issues that happened a prior year at this stage in the game could backfire or may not be met  with the kind of action you would like. If you feel your child will be harmed by this teacher then I would take action. If it is a matter of the teacher not being so great then observing and seeing if you need to fill in any gaps in the education might be your best bet. But I would be in that classroom to check it out. Maybe the teacher is following a very specific curriculum (which your primary teacher could tell you) and it won't be so bad.

Good luck! 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page