Does anyone know a good, play-based kindergarten in Evanston or surrounding areas? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-19-2011, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We're getting ready to send our son to kindergarten Fall 2011. He's very active and imaginative, and has some minor sensory issues. We chose to keep him 'back' this year. Instead, he participated in a multi-age preschool and a therapeutic playgroup. He also took classes with the homeschooling network, and he swims and does Tae kwon do at the Y. 

He is thriving.

However, we haven't had much luck in finding a place for him next year. The public schools in Evanston offer only full-day, academic kindergarten, with large class sizes. We're pretty sure this wouldn't work for him.

We love the homeschooling network; however, our son seems to thrive on at least one regular place to go each week, a school that can serve as an 'achor' where he can work on his social skills and relationship with other consistently appearing adults (i.e. teachers.)

Does anyone know of a reasonably priced kindergarten in Evanston or surrounding areas (we're willing to travel to surrounding suburbs and north side of city) that is play-based, and would offer a fit for a very active little boy who likes to move his body and use his imagination? Half-day would be best.

Thanks.

#2 of 5 Old 05-11-2011, 07:40 PM

The Lattof YMCA in Des Plaines offers a Kindergarten Club for (3) afternoons a week from 12 - 3:30.  They do games, art and craft projects, science experiments, etc. along with swimming and rock climbing.  Since you homeschool, it may be a nice supplemental program.  My kids are not old enough so I do not have any direct experience with this program however I heard good things from other parents with kids participating in the program.  My one daughter attends the preschool class here and she loves it.

#3 of 5 Old 05-12-2011, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for this information! It's a huge help. I'm actually familiar with the Lattof Y, and like it a lot. This may be a great possible adjunct activity.

#4 of 5 Old 05-17-2011, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

We liked Total Child Center. Feel free to PM me!

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (14) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#5 of 5 Old 06-12-2011, 02:58 PM

You could also check out the Wilmette Park District afternoon kindergarten class. One of my hs friends did it with her sn kindy kid a couple of years ago and loved it.

Some sn kids also don't stay for the entire day at public school, so there can be flexibility inside the public school and he could. Get to know kids at the neighborhood school.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page