Homework, schoolwork, and how you handle your role in part of it? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-26-2011, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I hate homework.  And I hate school.  And DD's kindy teacher exasperates me because she pretends that she believes in Tinkerbell and even when I talk to her, it takes about 10 minutes for her to turn that off and speak to me like an adult.

That aside!  I want DD (6) to do well.  I want to be a good mom and help her learn and support her but....homework everynight is stupid handouts.  I loathe them.  I am trying really hard to impart to DD that it's important that she always do her best work, and show her teacher what she is capable of but I am having a tremendously hard time taking all of these dittos seriously.  It feels like busy work to me.  But, I am sure that the teacher will tell me that DD is learning motor skills and other things from these dittos.  I requested a conference to discuss her last report card, which was adequate (equivalent of b's across the board) and I'd love to bring up the homework. 

Any ideas on how I can bring it up without getting shot down?  I'm sure there's a kernel of worth in each worksheet. But I'd love to see more diversity in what they're asked to do at home.

Also, any advice on how I can approach homework in a healthier manner?  Right now, I grin and bear it and tell DD it's important that she do her best.  But in my head I am adding 'even on these stupid handouts!!!!!!!"  I don't want to have a bad attitude about homework for the next 11 years.  Help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2011, 11:49 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

UGH!  In KINDERGARTEN?!  The only "homework" we have had this year is a couple times, he's brought home 3 of the little books he reads in class.  One Book-It sheet a month, read "X" number of books, note them, and do the activity on the back about your favorite, for months October I think it was through April.

Bring photographs a few times for various things--of your family, of yourself, etc.

A "Me bag" at the beginning of the year--some sort of 'representation' of things about yourself that fit in a paper lunch bag (DS brought a family photo, an orange crayon--fav. color, a car, and a pic of a soccer ball)

And maybe 1-2 other show and tell things.  That's it.

lovin DH since 1/04, best mom for my 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), one 13 wk (10/13) and 5/15 just your average multigenerational living family!!
Old 04-27-2011, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Does she have to do the homework? My son gets math sheets in 1st grade but the teacher doesn't seem to care whether the kids do them or not. She just checks them if they do, it's not like they are graded. He got handouts every day in K too. But they were very quick to do, it would usually take him less than 5 min, so he did all of them.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Well, it's almost May. Unless you are in Australia, isn't school out in like 6 or 7 weeks? I'm not sure this is a battle you want to front this late in the game. Save it for 1st grade when the expectations go up.

Personally, I'm not involved in the kids homework. It's their work. If they need help they can ask. I do occasionally remind my youngest because he WANTS to do well but has organizational issues and forgets things like checking his back-pack. My just saying "any homework today?" is enough to get him on track. If they don't do it, they pay whatever the school consequence is.

It might help for you to break up the homework time. If she has multiple sheets, don't do them all at once. Do one, go play, make a snack whatever and then do another. Little 5 minute homework sessions between fun activities might be more palatable to your DD.

Married mom of two, DD 17 and DS 13.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:38 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindberg99 View Post

Does she have to do the homework? My son gets math sheets in 1st grade but the teacher doesn't seem to care whether the kids do them or not. She just checks them if they do, it's not like they are graded. He got handouts every day in K too. But they were very quick to do, it would usually take him less than 5 min, so he did all of them.

This is how my dd's teachers are also.  It is not how some teachers/schools in our area are though so I suggest asking before skipping out on them.  The school I student taught at really had a big push for homework to be done at all grade levels and some teachers kept first graders in from recess to do the homework.  That isn't something I would want for my dd so checking with teachers is very important just to make sure it isn't your child who loses out based on your opinion of homework.  When her first grade teacher did require homework I would just tell her to do it then leave her to it.  I didn't get involved except to write on there if she didn't understand a concept so her teacher could review it with her.

User Tag List