Would this bug you? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 05-27-2011, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DD (12) does not want to go on the end of year class field trip.  It is fine with me - it is a sport type trip and not her thing.   It is also reasonably expensive ($40).  

Yesterday I got a call from the receptionist.  If DD is not going on the trip she needs to remain at home - and they want a letter from me saying she is not going on the trip and will be staying home that day.  I told the receptionist that finances were not our issue - but that I could see it being so for a number of families.  She said it was an issue, and that several kids were staying home for that reason.

Truth is - I intended to let her stay home, but I thought it was odd that I was told she may not go to school on that day.  It is not a holiday - doesn't she have the right to go to school that day if she feels so inclined?  Other grades will be there.  

I did write the letter as asked and will keep her home - this really is not a thing I am going to bother fighting - but I do find it odd.  What do you think?

#2 of 22 Old 05-27-2011, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Yeah, it's odd. Schools get paid for attendance. Telling kids to stay home is not something most would want to do. Our schools always have alternate plans for kids not going on trips. Even the week of 6th grade camp when almost the entire grade is gone, they hold classes for those staying.

Like you, I wouldn't waste the energy on it but yes, it is weird.

Married mom of two, DD 17 and DS 13.
#3 of 22 Old 05-27-2011, 08:40 PM

That isn't right.  They should not have made you sign a letter saying that you would keep her home.  I understand not fighting it, but I would make a point of letting them know that this isn't right for the sake of the other students and families not attending.

#4 of 22 Old 05-27-2011, 09:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Yeah, no, they can't do that.

I spent some time googling and reading legislation and regulations (I like that sort of thing yummy.gif).  I can't find a direct regulation on this, but the sum total equal that they have to provide the non-participating students with at least supervision (actually, curriculum, but reality is different).  Add to that a number of policy documents from various school boards in your province, and it's clear.

The board gets funds for the number of students enrolled, with the expectation that each student is provided a base amount of instruction (typically described as instructional days).  They don't put extra in the kitty so they can just burn one off when a kid doesn't want to attend a field trip.  And field trips are supposed to tie to curricular outcomes, but we all know what June's like in schools. 

They're getting around this by having a note from the parent - the student is electing to be absent.  However, they do need to provide a place for a child to spend the day whether they participate in the field trip or not.  I think it would be fun to phone the Ministry of Education and let them know :).

Mom to a teenager and a middle schooler.

#5 of 22 Old 05-27-2011, 11:33 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Yes, on principle it would bug me. I've never encountered a school that didn't offer an alternative for a field trip. I have known teachers who have hinted or encouraged students to stay home, but never insist.

I'm fairly certain that the school couldn't turn away a student who showed up, but the alternatives are often pretty unattractive. The kids hang around the library reading or using the computers or play cards in the cafeteria or watch videos - that sort of thing. 

#6 of 22 Old 05-28-2011, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsnextmom View Post

Yeah, it's odd. Schools get paid for attendance.

Not in Canada.

Yes, it''s weird. My guess is that the other teachers don't want an extra kid for the day, as if she goes to school they would have to put her with a different grade. My kids would be going to school anyway, they wouldn't want to be marked absent, which is what would happen if they stayed home.
#7 of 22 Old 05-28-2011, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everybody.  

#8 of 22 Old 05-29-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishmommy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsnextmom View Post

Yeah, it's odd. Schools get paid for attendance.

Not in Canada.

Well, there you go. My school would NEVER in a million years encourage a kid to stay home in that situation, even if it would be very difficult to have one kid in the whole grade in the school while all the kids and teachers were gone. But if a school doesn't have to worry about the state breathing down their neck over attendance, it does make some sense if everyone else is going to be gone. I still think it's dumb, but I can understand the rationale.

#9 of 22 Old 05-29-2011, 08:55 PM

Is this a public school? Then they shouldn't be taking a field trip that REQUIRES a $40 charge. Our school's field trips cost $5-$10 and there are always scholarships available. No one is denied the opportunity for going because they can't pay. And if they can't go/don't want to go, then they are provided supervision at the school. Is it a pain? Yep. Our parent organization spends a lot of time raising funds so kids can go on field trips.

So, the financial aspect of it would bug me and the 'they can't come to school if they're not going on the trip' would bug me. It's not fair and equitable.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#10 of 22 Old 05-29-2011, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoteat View Post

Well, there you go. My school would NEVER in a million years encourage a kid to stay home in that situation, even if it would be very difficult to have one kid in the whole grade in the school while all the kids and teachers were gone. But if a school doesn't have to worry about the state breathing down their neck over attendance, it does make some sense if everyone else is going to be gone. I still think it's dumb, but I can understand the rationale.

No - they're required under the legislation to provide X number of instructional days/hours per student - the funding formula is based on student numbers.  And the legislation is clear, and the policies that are derived from the legislation are even more clear.  The school is breaking the rules and trying to get the parents to cover their butts in writing.  Thumbs down.  And I left the equity and accessiblity part alone, but that's bad form too.  There is likely policy about that too that they're ignoring.

Mom to a teenager and a middle schooler.

#11 of 22 Old 05-30-2011, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnS6 View Post

Is this a public school? Then they shouldn't be taking a field trip that REQUIRES a $40 charge. Our school's field trips cost $5-$10 and there are always scholarships available. No one is denied the opportunity for going because they can't pay. And if they can't go/don't want to go, then they are provided supervision at the school. Is it a pain? Yep. Our parent organization spends a lot of time raising funds so kids can go on field trips.

So, the financial aspect of it would bug me and the 'they can't come to school if they're not going on the trip' would bug me. It's not fair and equitable.

Yes, it is a public school.  

The financial aspect does bug me.  When I mentioned cost to the receptionist (while making it clear I was not asking for assistance, but was concerned for the poorer families in our district) I fully expected to be told there was assistance available for those in need.  I am hoping there is money available for kids in need and for some reason she chose not to tell me.

DD is choosing not to go, to some degree  I think it is fine if she needs to stay home as she is choosing not to go.  I would be very irked if my kid wanted to go, we could not afford it, wanted to go to school and was told not to come as the only option for the day was a too expensive trip.

#12 of 22 Old 06-01-2011, 06:12 PM

Interestingly enough, on our school board's (public school in Ontario) permission forms for trips, it is specifically written "I understand that this trip is mandatory and any student who chooses not to participate must attend school on that day" ad then the parent signs.

Interesting that your school is pretty much telling you the opposite.

#13 of 22 Old 06-01-2011, 06:52 PM

Is it just the class or the entire school going that day?  If it is the entire school(doing in different places even) there may not be anyone there but the secretary.  When I did Noon Supervision(in Saskatchewan) 2 years ago the entire school went on a field trip to the park for the morning as a year end thing.  I wasn't sure what time they were getting back so I was there for my job.  

There was the secretary, 1 custodian & 1 EA(cleaning), me & 1 Grade 1 kid who never brought a permission slip & they could not get in touch with his mom for even a verbal okay for him to go.  When I got there he was sitting at a desk by the secretary's desk.  Since the other kids weren't getting back till later I took the boy outside & played with him instead of leaving him stuck in the school.

the letter is completely understandable.  At that age there are many kids who would skip out without their parents knowing.  

If they need a specific adult:kid ratio for the trip they may not have enough people to keep the kids who are staying behind

At our public schools there is always money set aside for field trips for those who can't pay.  They generally know who those kids are & something would have been decided prior to the permission slips going home.

#14 of 22 Old 06-01-2011, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bena View Post

Interestingly enough, on our school board's (public school in Ontario) permission forms for trips, it is specifically written "I understand that this trip is mandatory and any student who chooses not to participate must attend school on that day" ad then the parent signs.

Interesting that your school is pretty much telling you the opposite.

Hi - I am also in Ontario.

I think the school is doing something against policy, knows it is against policy, but is having us write notes about staying home as a way to cover its butt.  The do not want to supply school activities/supervision for non attending students and this is there way to do it.

#15 of 22 Old 06-01-2011, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieMF View Post

Is it just the class or the entire school going that day?  If it is the entire school(doing in different places even) there may not be anyone there but the secretary.  When I did Noon Supervision(in Saskatchewan) 2 years ago the entire school went on a field trip to the park for the morning as a year end thing.  I wasn't sure what time they were getting back so I was there for my job.  

There was the secretary, 1 custodian & 1 EA(cleaning), me & 1 Grade 1 kid who never brought a permission slip & they could not get in touch with his mom for even a verbal okay for him to go.  When I got there he was sitting at a desk by the secretary's desk.  Since the other kids weren't getting back till later I took the boy outside & played with him instead of leaving him stuck in the school.

the letter is completely understandable.  At that age there are many kids who would skip out without their parents knowing.  

If they need a specific adult:kid ratio for the trip they may not have enough people to keep the kids who are staying behind

At our public schools there is always money set aside for field trips for those who can't pay.  They generally know who those kids are & something would have been decided prior to the permission slips going home.

The grade 7's have a field trip but the grade 8's do not.  

I do  think a letter is in order if your kid stays home - it is them insisting your kid stays home if they do not attend that is the issue.

#16 of 22 Old 06-01-2011, 10:16 PM

If everyone in her grade is going - students and teachers - what is she supposed to do if she goes to school?  Who is going to teach her or supervise her for the day?  That's more than likely why they're having those kids stay home who choose not to go, there's nothing for them to do at school that day and no one to supervise them.

Jenn

#17 of 22 Old 06-02-2011, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabrog View Post

If everyone in her grade is going - students and teachers - what is she supposed to do if she goes to school?  Who is going to teach her or supervise her for the day?  That's more than likely why they're having those kids stay home who choose not to go, there's nothing for them to do at school that day and no one to supervise them.

Jenn

She goes to a different classroom, usually one grade above or one below her own grade.
#18 of 22 Old 06-02-2011, 06:39 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:

Jenn

As I noted upthread, IME students who don't go on a grade-wide field trip are sent to the library, cafeteria or a classroom and are supervised by the librarian-resource teacher, an administrator or a substitute teacher called in for the day.  They can use the time for studying, working on assignments, or more likely reading and playing games in the computer lab. Sometimes they are sent to a class in another grade. Older students might spend the day as a kindergarten helper or tutoring/helping in a younger grade. 

I've known teachers who have basically said "If you aren't going on the trip, no one will be upset if you stay home" with a wink and a nudge. I've never known a school to tell students that they cannot come to school at all, especially in the elementary grades. I would be pretty surprised if the school could enforce it. I'd think the district school supervisors or school board governors or whomever oversees the school, above the principal, wouldn't be happy to hear about this either. 

#19 of 22 Old 06-02-2011, 07:24 AM

My kid's entire school is at camp for 3 days.  I chose not to send my sometimes bedwetting 7yo who has never been away from home overnight.  A couple of weeks before the trip, I got a form home from school asking me to check if she'd be at school those days, at home those days, and if she'd need the in school daycare at lunch or afterschool.   The form explained they needed the numbers to make their arrangements for supervision.  If her school can make arrangements to deal with kids not going on a 3 day field trip that involves the entire school population, I find it odd that your school wants your kid to stay home when her class (or grade) only is going on a one day field trip.  I'd be annoyed in your place, but I'd probably let it drop anyway.

#20 of 22 Old 06-04-2011, 04:04 AM

My dd was kept home while her class went on a week long trip to a camp. Since her teachers were gone she had to stay home. I was worried she might have to go into another grade and *help* out,or spend the week doing schoolwork but she just had a weeks vacation.

I would not be bothered,but the kids home can be an issue for 2 working parent homes.

#21 of 22 Old 06-04-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:

Jenn

Go to another class. When I was in 4th grade I forgot to get a permission slip signed and spent the day in another classroom.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#22 of 22 Old 06-04-2011, 04:24 PM

No, it wouldn't bug me. Your DD didn't want to go and you decided she could stay home and the school is fine with that. It would bug me more if they hassled me about keeping her home and said she had to come and sit in the principal's office or something if she didn't go.

I can see your point of worrying that some families can't pay. But you know, you just will drive yourself crazy wondering about things like that. The school might have a fund to help out students who need help but don't publicize it to families who don't. That is what our school does...if a student needs help, the principal and teacher will work something out (payment plan, reduced pay amount, etc) but I don't think they would tell other parents about this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page