end-of-year teacher gift? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 06-10-2011, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Any suggestions?  This is for a Kindergarten teacher.  We were thinking of giving her some books for her classroom.  But I'd love to hear what others have done/are doing.

Thanks,

Jen

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 06-11-2011, 04:43 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I give bookstore gift cards.  Other things I've heard that people have done around here:  gift cards to the local mall or Macy's or gas cards.  We also have a great teacher supply store here with amazing craft and classroom materials.  We have only twice given actual books for the room - I worry that there might be duplicates, or otherwise inappropriate.  The books we did give had really special meaning to my kids - in the first case it was sign language dictionary or sorts for the classroom (our school district silos special needs and the deaf kids are all at our school, so there's a significant amount of sign language exposure and DD was very interested and taught herself a lot).  The second case was a set of Elliot the Moose books from my son, Elliot.

We also always make a personal card where my kids write a thank you note, along with my own thoughts.  This year was so phenomenal, I sent a paper letter in the mail stamp and all cc'd to the principal thanking the teacher for the fabulous year, outlining exactly what was so great and why it was such a great fit for DD.  Letters like this go into the teacher's employment file.

#3 of 11 Old 06-11-2011, 12:31 PM

Last year for DS's K teacher, we did a gift certificate to a spa from the whole class. She really enjoyed that. This year, DS has a male teacher which makes it a little more tricky for me to come up with something...for Christmas we gave a gift card to Borders. I figured if he could choose if he wanted to use it for books for the classroom or for himself. 

#4 of 11 Old 06-11-2011, 01:54 PM

I ask the teacher what they want.  When my DS was in K his teacher would often mention that it got frustrating for her to go to the next door room to use that teacher's pencil sharpener.  So, I got together with a few moms and spent $50 on a great one that she is still using 3 years later.  In our district there is a limit on what gifts the teacher is allowed to accept so be sure that you do not go against that if it exists.

Kerrie Mama to DD 10 yo, DS 8 yo and DD 5  

#5 of 11 Old 06-12-2011, 04:19 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, everyone!  This is really helpful.

#6 of 11 Old 06-13-2011, 08:10 PM

DD just finished her third year of preschool before heading off to kindergarten in the fall. She's been at the same wonderful home-based Waldorf-inspired preschool with the same teacher the whole time and it was so great. We wanted to make something for her teacher that was personal and useful, so dd drew a picture of her that I then embroidered onto a piece of fabric. I made that into a pocket that I sewed onto a store-bought apron. We put a lot of time and effort into this because it was a pretty special goodbye. But a simpler version of the same basic idea would be to have the kid draw on fabric with fabric pens and then make something using it that would be useful in the classroom. Maybe a notebook cover? Or a totebag?

Kerrie, I am a middle school teacher and I would LOVE a new pencil sharpener! The good ones are so expensive, and the cheaper ones are crap. What a great idea! As a teacher, I also always appreciate small, thoughtful gifts. My middle school kids don't really do teacher gifts anymore, but when I taught elementary, I loved the little gifts that showed that the kid got to know me or picked up on something that was special. Some of my favorite gifts were yarn, homemade hot cocoa mix with a little whisk, a mini maglite, a chicobag, fancy spiced nuts, and the sincere notes from kids.

#7 of 11 Old 06-23-2011, 10:58 PM

I'm a teacher, and honestly, the best gift I could imagine would be a letter from you thanking me and telling me exactly what I did to go beyond your expectations :)  I also really treasure handmade cards from kids...I have a "warm fuzzy" box that I open once in awhile to remind myself how important my role is! 

#8 of 11 Old 06-24-2011, 05:43 AM

We settled for 6 bottles of nice red wine as a gift. This is for 3 teachers, so 2 bottles each, and it's from the whole class. I bought but we divy up the tab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappiestLilMama View Post

I'm a teacher, and honestly, the best gift I could imagine would be a letter from you thanking me and telling me exactly what I did to go beyond your expectations :)  I also really treasure handmade cards from kids...I have a "warm fuzzy" box that I open once in awhile to remind myself how important my role is! 

My sons last day is today and I wanted him to do this. I think handmade are better if there is some real care and effort that goes into them. But unfortunately DS doesn't do well with artwork/letters-on-demand.

#9 of 11 Old 06-24-2011, 06:30 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonR View Post

My sons last day is today and I wanted him to do this. I think handmade are better if there is some real care and effort that goes into them. But unfortunately DS doesn't do well with artwork/letters-on-demand.

If you have some of his artwork, perhaps he could pick out something that he would like his teacher to have. You can write the note, slip it into a store-bought card and get him to sign the card. He gives her the artwork, the card and the note. Very little demand on him but he goes through the process of expressing his gratitude. It will be a helpful early step in learning a social grace and he'll be prepared for next time. Soon, with a little more maturity, development and practice, maybe he will be more willing to produce something on demand. 

#10 of 11 Old 06-27-2011, 12:11 PM

I just went out today and bought some gift cards.  For ds's two teachers we are giving each a bookstore gift card as ds says they always ask him what books he is reading and looking for recommendations smile.gif.  My ds has also decorated a small card and will write a small note.  For dd's kindergarten teacher we got a gift card for a local dairy bar.  In his introductory letter to his new students he always mentions how much he loves ice cream and what his favorite flavours are.  He has two young children and I know they go out for ice cream once in a while.  My dd will also complete a fill in the blank type letter.  We always get these for father's and mother's day and they almost always make us smile or laugh out loud.  You know the type of letter :  I like it when my teacher_______________.  My teacher doesn't like _________________.  I laugh when my teacher ______________.  I will also write a short thank you note.  

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

#11 of 11 Old 06-30-2011, 11:51 AM

We did a bookstore giftcard and a little box of Godiva (ds wanted to give his teacher chocolatesyummy.gif). I like the fill-in-the blanks letter; I'll have ds do that next year.

When I was a child, my teachers received more coffee mugs and stationary than they could possible use if they taught for more than one year lol.gif.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page