Public School Problem, or American Culture Problem? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 32 Old 07-15-2011, 08:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)

Quote:
Our school system has a "career center" where kids can go for their jr and sr years. They can come out with the training to go into field like dental assisting, being an LPN, welding, construction, mechanics, cosmetology, etc. Their website said that 54% go on after graduating to college, tech school or some other training so I guess they must be able to get the college prereqs if they want to have that as an option.

sadly my area does not do this- it's one or the other! even some schools given only certain diplomas 

ex. so you have lots (the biggest group) of cosmetology students and the area can only support so many and they lack the skills need to go to college and thus don't have business skills and they end up doing something else because of the overflow

students are really pushed (in my area) do this or that in HS and it's an all or nothing- no long term planning as to the need for a certain careers 

so many spend tons of money (they don't have) needing to go to local community colleges to make up for what the missed doing  vo-schooling and than they can try and get in another college- time and money later many don't benefit from it

the only real help it offers is for an LPN- they are needed (in my area) but again, so many lack basic HS classes due to the amount of time the spend training to be an LPN that they stay in the field

as far as technical skills, because of state requirements many must get additional training that the vo-school programs do not offer and they have to go to tech-schools in order to meet state testing-kind of misleading and I wonder about the states that you listed what it really means? is it because they can't do it all in the program offered thru the HS school?

I'm not going to get into what is causing this issue- to me it really is clear--my area, as if more is even needed my state just announced state wide testing scandal and so many schools are in my area-not a surprise at all

I have a friend who lives in another state and it is a whole other world-doesn't even compare to what we are deal with here.

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#32 of 32 Old 07-15-2011, 09:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFmom View Post

I think that trying to paint public schools with a broad brush is ridiculous.  There are bad public schools, for sure, but there are also excellent public schools.  So when I hear the hyperbole about our failing schools, I roll my eyes.

That said, I do think that most of the problems in education are societal problems, that no amount of standardized testing or teacher blaming is going to fix.  We currently have the largest income gap in modern history in the US. 

I really agree with this. I would take it a step further. I think the same school can be good for one child and bad for another. Our local public high school is a considered a good school. All the little stats are positive. There is a real sense of community -- the football games are attended by people in the neighborhood who don't have kids there yet.  My neighbor's granddaughter graduated from there a couple of years ago and is now on a full scholarship to an ivy league school.

But for some kids, it's not a good fit. My kids go to a small private K-12 school, and last year in October a boy transferred from the public high school because he was getting in fights all the time. He later revealed to his friends that he had been having thoughts of killing himself.  

Same school -- different kids -- different experience.

The standardize testing thing is just ..... nut.gif

One of my DD's friend's Dad is a highschool English teacher on the other side at town at a school where most kids speak Spanish as their first language, and some are recent arrivals into the US and speak very little English. He said that many of his students aren't literate in Spanish, either. Those kids take the same test as the kids on my end of town.  It is completely beyond me how anyone could compare the scores of the two schools and declare the other school a "failing" school. It's so obviously not a far comparison.

Owen'nZoe likes this.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page