Anyone have a kid starting kindergarten soon? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-13-2012, 02:47 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

DS just turned 5 and will start in September at a very good public charter. I am terrified. He is excited. He has a lot of quite lovely part time preschool experience but I think public will be a rude adjustment. Lunch is a mandatory organic farmer's market thing so I am hoping that works well. We just pack a snack.

No uniforms although my sister raves about the ones from Land's End. Still waiting for a supply list which has me kind of panicked.

Still working on bottom wiping. Eyeroll.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2012, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My baby will be in kindergarten next month. It's not a huge deal to me, or him, bc it will be his 3rd year in the same classroom (Montessori). He's already been going full-day, and his teacher and most of his classmates will be the same. The next yr will be more eventful since he'll move on as a 1st grader in a 6-9 yo classroom.

He's my 4th kid, so that's also why starting K isn't a sad or scary thing for me.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My daughter is starting Kindergarten in the Fall, after Labor Day.  I think she's excited - she was in a Transitional Kindergarten class last year and the teacher was always talking to them about what to expect in Kindergarten.  So she's always telling me stuff like - "Mommy, I can't wear shirts that have skinny straps", "I have to eat fast at the lunch table and I can't talk a lot or I'll be so starving in the afternoon", etc.  As far as having friends, she won't have any in Kindy at her elementary school.  Quite a few children who were in her preschool in previous years are rising 1st graders (she missed the cut off by 3 weeks so a large majority of her friends at 4 years old went to Kindergarten).  She is attending a magnet school so we don't have a neighborhood component.  Thankfully, the PTA is super active and the PTA lead for Kindy has organized weekly playdates so the kids can get to know each other.  We've been able to attend a couple so that's been nice.  In my county, the school district has a wonky districting policy so we are focusing on the friends we have from activities like dance, swimming, girl scouts...

I think my biggest worry is that they won't differentiate enough for my mature, older, academically focused Kindergartener!  I'm trying to hold back my alpha helicopter Mom and just let them test her during the staggered entry and not feel like I need to go in and start advocating for her from the start.

User Tag List