Anyone have a kid starting kindergarten soon? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 33 Old 07-19-2011, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I can't believe my baby is starting kindergarten!  We've already gotten most of her school supplies and school clothes.  She is very excited, but also pretty nervous about making new friends and being in a new environment.   Anything else we should do to prepare? 

" rel="http://files.mothering.com/images/smilies/familybed2.gif">familybed2.gif  DD1 12/05, DD2 12/08

Computer Engineer- I write better in 1's and 0's. ;-)
#2 of 33 Old 07-19-2011, 07:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

No my kids started long ago, but I thought I'd reply anyway. I confess that I love back-to-school shopping for school supplies. Last year, I went out and bought a couple of notebooks, pens and highlighters for DS and DD (who are now in high school), even though they both (good anti-consumerists that they are) insisted they had everything they needed left-over from the year before. It's a weakness, what can I say? 

For your DD, hopefully there's an opportunity to tour the classroom and the school and meet her teacher before the first day of school. If she hasn't participated in pre-school or recreational groups or summer camp, you may want to go over the concepts like  waiting in line, waiting her turn, politely asking for help when she needs it rather than hoping the teacher notices, etc. 

If it's a full-day kindergarten, you'll need to think about lunch and snacks. Although there will be help available from teachers and assistants, try to find containers that she can manage on her own. 

Most of all, show her a positive attitude and a confidence that she is going to manage this new adventure beautifully. She will take a lot of her cues about school from you. It is exciting to watch them grow at this stage even if it's a little nerve-wracking and emotional too.

#3 of 33 Old 07-19-2011, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My baby's starting in September too.  He's ready, but it's still hard when it's your baby you know?

Definitely make sure you have a positive attitude about it so she sees that.  And I second meeting the teacher before if it's possible.  My kid has met his K teacher a few times and met his bus driver over the weekend, which I think helps a lot.

Good luck!

#4 of 33 Old 07-19-2011, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

She will be in full-day K, but is currently in summer camp/daycare, and attended pre-school (private) before that.  I know she'll doing fine with waiting in line, taking turns, etc...  I'm more concerned because she is such a sensitive child and kind of shy.  We've had issues in the past with a teacher giving her a gentle suggestion and her bursting into tears.  She's also expressed fears about not making new friends. 

My husband and I toured this school (and many others) while choosing a school, but she has never actually been inside.  They have a kindergarten orientation the week before school starts, so I'm hoping that they show the kids where the classrooms are and introduce them to their teachers.  I'm not really sure how 'orientation' works though.  I know there was nothing like that when I started school, so I'm not really sure what to expect. 

I'm definately excited for her.  I just hope I don't cry when I drop her off on the first day! 

" rel="http://files.mothering.com/images/smilies/familybed2.gif">familybed2.gif  DD1 12/05, DD2 12/08

#5 of 33 Old 07-19-2011, 10:48 AM

Our DD's situation is very similar to your's, OP.  Our DD just ended her third year of full-time Montessori and will be starting kindergarten at a private K-12 school.  We've visited the school and met the teachers and DD is extra excited about it because it is within walking distance of our home (we've been taking the subway for three years)! 

I am a little nervous for her, though.  She has been with the same kids and teachers for three years, and now she is going into a totally different environment with different kids, teachers, etc.  She's very outgoing but I know that she'll probably have some hesitation the first week or so. 

We actually have to order school uniforms for DD (not sure how she's going to adjust to that because she really loves her clothes).  She is done with camp at the beginning of August, and will spend the rest of the summer with my inlaws and parents.  We're not talking too much about it, because for her it all just seems so far into the future.  I'm probably more nervous than she'll ever be!

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.
#6 of 33 Old 07-19-2011, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My son will be starting next month, the school he is going to is half day and will be half day for the first 3 weeks of school but then does offer all day kindergarten for those that want it.

The school does uniforms so that will make getting ready easier in the morning, no waiting for him or my daughter whose entering 3rd at the school also to pick out clothes.

Kami(31)DH(35)Alex(11),(4/05) (7/05),Ryker(8)(11/10) 
Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant
#7 of 33 Old 07-19-2011, 04:01 PM

I'm not worried about dd coping at all; as long as she has someone to talk to she's fine. The only "problem" is that it is a long day for a 5yo.

We have an orientation day to meet the teacher, but ds has already been in this school a year so it's familiar to dd--she's been ready for school since she was 3yoorngtongue.gif. Our school doesn't have buses so dh will take her to school each day.

love.gif I do love the uniforms; it does make things easier--just need to have one of five identical outfits clean lol.gif. When ds was at a non-uniform public school I had to have separate clothes anyway because all his other clothes ended up with stains/holes/chewed collar. I get his uniform pants from Target and they are very sturdy and don't shrink, which is helpful with my string beansthumb.gif.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#8 of 33 Old 07-20-2011, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

My daughter is starting kindergarten in a few weeks.  I truly want to cry just thinking about it (and have.  Often).  She's looking forward to it so much but I am so worried.  I'm worried about everything from the uniform (she has a fine tremor and low hand strength, buttons have never been her strong suit and finding pull up uniform pants has not been easy.  They can wear jumpers but it's a jumper over a shirt and bike shorts - and it's still going to be in the upper 90s for a WHILE).  She cries so easily.  A lot.  Loudly.  She has not been in kindergarten or camps.  She went to VBS this summer and some kid decided to tell her she's fat (she's not, although she is heavier than kids her age.  She has a mobility issue that means she can't run and for months could not walk.  Her ped has said not to put her on a "diet" but just let her height catch up, which is exactly what's happening) and it really shook her self confidence.  She uses a walker out of the house.  As I said, she can't run, she stumbles when she walks, she uses a walker, and she has a fine tremor in her hands.  She thinks school is going to be the best most awesome amazing thing ever.  She is so desperate to get started.  I'm afraid that when it isn't exactly what she expects or the first time someone hurts her feelings, she's going to freak out and never want to go back. 

#9 of 33 Old 07-20-2011, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Oh yeah...the uniform thing.  DD also needs uniforms.  I didn't think it would be so hard to find all the right 'pieces'.  I haven't found 'Peter Pan' blouses, a belt, or any long-sleeved shirts.  Oh, and I have to hem up all of the pants, as they are about 4 inches too long! 

NiteNicole- I'd be stressed too with a kid that has mobility issues!  hug.gif  As long as she's excited to go though, I'm sure she will be just fine.  I'm hoping that being around other kids a lot will help build better social skills and help with sensitivity issues! 

#10 of 33 Old 07-21-2011, 10:40 AM

My son starts kindergarten this fall too! We were thinking of homeschooling but then last night he just started crying and expressed his fear of never having any friends. So he made the decision to do public (with homeschooling after public! hehe). I'm a nervous wreck!

Jessica reading.gif married to the love of my life jammin.gif

Momma to: Levi (09/06)superhero.gif, Junior (09/05) angel.gif, Teagann (11/10) angel.gif and two furbabies Nugget and Boo cat.gifflowerkitty.gif TTC our next bundle of love since 1/11makebabe.gif

#11 of 33 Old 07-21-2011, 12:18 PM

My twins are starting kindy.  Half day-afternoons.  I am nervous.  I have two older kids but we have always homeschooled so I am starting school for the first time with all four.  Yikes.

mama to Joshua (9), Lily (8), Jude (6) and Ava (6)

#12 of 33 Old 07-24-2011, 06:23 PM

DS is starting Kindergarten in the fall as well. We just got done shopping for clothes and shoes. How I wish his school had uniforms too, but, oh well. DS is really excited and asks me often why school hasn't started yet.

#13 of 33 Old 07-30-2011, 12:09 PM

Me!  I am in complete denial about my precious little baby growing up.  (That would be the almost 5yo precious little baby, not the almost 2yo precious little baby.) 

It's a huge change in routine for us...our neighborhood kindergarten wasn't going to work out for childcare and we knew we wanted to eventually move.  We really liked one school and the neighborhood looked great so we went for it and bought a place there.  Starting in Sept. the kids will change day homes to be closer to our new home and I'm starting full-time work.  So much change!!!  I know it will be tough for the kids but ultimately I think we will end up with more family time, less solo parenting and commute time all round, so I am feeling very positive.

DD has been in daycare and preschool and loves structured programs so I'm not really worried about the time away.  Socially she is a little behind, still working on manners and taking turns but she's been improving steadily.  She is soooo excited to go!  I got the best score on uniforms, bought a full set right down to socks from a mom of kijiji for $140. 

The only thing that sucks is that I will miss her first day :-(  I have to work and DH is taking her.  No fair!

#14 of 33 Old 08-01-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nina_yyc View Post
The only thing that sucks is that I will miss her first day :-(  I have to work and DH is taking her.  No fair!

I could go, but when I took ds to his first day of K we walked him in and he took a seat in line (the Ks sit in a class line in the gym and the teacher takes them to class) and didn't look at us again--a bit anit-climatic. So I'll take pictures before he and dd leave, but dh will drive them like normal (no buses) and I will go do yoga hippie.gif and homework notes2.gif.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#15 of 33 Old 08-01-2011, 11:08 AM

My first baby is going to kindergarten next month!  It's a public school that seems like a really great fit for us but I am still nervous.  It's a very long day (8:30-3:15).  Ds's preschool was only 2.5 hours long so this will be a big adjustment.  We do have an orientation next week but because my ds has some special needs we have already met with his teacher and she seems wonderful.  I just bought a backpack and matching lunch box with dinosaurs for him and it made everything feel so real.  I seriously considered homeschooling for a long time but ultimately this seems like the best choice for us.  I have a two year old son as well and now I will be able to give him more attention during the day. I would by lying if I didn't mention that I am also excited to have a little more personal time.  I am joining a gym with a baby-sitting room and I am looking forward to relaxing a bit during my toddler's nap time instead of entertaining ds number one.  Hoping for smooth transitions for everyone!  

Enjoying the journey into natural family living with my two sons and husband.
#16 of 33 Old 08-02-2011, 09:18 AM

My DD starts on Sept 12th.  We're both ready and excited about it.

She is looking forward to making new friends and riding on the school bus.

I have a ton of house projects that I'll be able to concentrate on, and am picking up more hours at work during the day when she's in school (full-time Kindergarten), and I'm planning to join a book group that meets during the day (that I haven't been able to do as a SAHM).

We're throwing a big end-of-summer party on Sept 10th for her friends in the neighborhood and from church and she's really excited about that.

I'm not sure if I'll cry - probably will the first day, 'cos I'm a sap and she's growing up SO fast - but I'm willing to bet that my DD will be cool as a cucumber.

We're keeping the first few weekends empty activity-wise so she can catch up on rest and whatnot until she gets used to the full-day school schedule.

I'm looking forward to seeing what homework will completely stump my DH and I ;)

#17 of 33 Old 08-03-2011, 06:08 AM

My dd is starting full day kindy and we're both excited. I only have two and she's my younger, so it is sad too. But she's high energy and loves structure, so she'll do great I think.

I'm trying to plan something special, non kid related thing for me to do the first day of school. I think I'll ask hubby for a lunch date. That should take the edge off the sadness.

#18 of 33 Old 08-03-2011, 09:19 AM

Count me in.  He is in full-day preschool right now so it wouldn't be a huge change for him.  I am worried about how I will handle the first day. I nearly broke down during registration, I need to get a grip before his first day.  (DH is no help, he is worse than I am, so much so I really don't want him around that first morning.)

I think I would like uniforms but it is a no-issue as DS's school doesn't do uniforms.

We didn't buy any supplies yet.  He needs a backpack but has no interest in selecting one.  I am sort of disappointed as I am looking forward to shopping for supplies, something I never got to do, but always wanted to do, as a child.  My mom was the type to scavange the oldest, dirtiest, chewed up pencils and call it a day.  I yearned for a pencil case with nice, new, non-teeth-marked pencils and clean erasers.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#19 of 33 Old 08-03-2011, 11:11 AM

Mine just started this morning. I didn't get teary til walking out the doors alone (she's my youngest of 2). 

#20 of 33 Old 08-03-2011, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkin03 View Post

Mine just started this morning. I didn't get teary til walking out the doors alone (she's my youngest of 2). 

I think it's even harder when it's the youngest starting school. hug2.gif

I hope she had fun! Was she looking forward to it? 

#21 of 33 Old 08-03-2011, 04:44 PM

My youngest is starting kindy in 3 weeks. We have all day in our town and I know the school very well because my oldest attends and is entering 4thh grade. MY baby is VERY excited. Very.

She knows all the people in the building, all the big kids and a lot of the 1st graders  live on our block so she already plays with them so she will know all the kids at  lunch. Did I mention she is excited? We bought a lunchbox and backpack in June she found, we bought gym shoes today and a new  pair of school shoes.

I am thinking this is bittersweet. Mainly because I am going back to work and I want to so its ending my almost 10 yrs of SAH momming.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#22 of 33 Old 08-05-2011, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

We went to the orientation for our oldest's kindy yesterday. He was really nervous before and kept saying he no longer wanted to go, but now he's seen it, met the teacher and some kids, he's into it now and woke up this morning early, dressed in the colors of his uniform (not the right clothes though they haven't arrived yet) and said "I'm ready to go to school now" hehe it doesn't start til the 15th. I'm planning to send lunch and snack each day, the food there is so-so for lunch and terrible for snacks. I'm going to try and schedule time to volunteer in the school too, with the 2 year old in tow I won't be able to do anything but help at festivals and parties, but DH can sometimes take DS2.

#23 of 33 Old 08-05-2011, 08:55 PM

Do you think 30 mins of homework is acceptable for K ?

I was shocked when the principal mentioned that  at the K Orientation.

Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant
#24 of 33 Old 08-06-2011, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter

Thirty minutes seem like a lot for kindergarten!  Does it include reading to your child?  I guess it wouldn't be so bad if that included reading to your child for 20 minuntes or something.. 

#25 of 33 Old 08-06-2011, 07:45 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCaliMommy View Post

Do you think 30 mins of homework is acceptable for K ?

I was shocked when the principal mentioned that  at the K Orientation.

I think it depends greatly on what kind of homework and who your child is. Both my kids had homework in kindergarten but the sort of homework they got was no issue. They got this monthly calendar with 30 various activities. They were to complete like 3 a week but they could choose the ones they wanted. The activities were everything from "count all the windows in your house" to "help prepare dinner." They also kept a book list of what they read or what was read to them. It was really no biggie and my kids really enjoyed the activity.

I find most teachers and principals give the worst case scenario in reguards to homework time. 30 minutes is probably the extreme as opposed to the norm. It MAY take your child 30 minutes a night but it may also just take them 5 minutes. Neither of my kids truely had 30 minutes a night until 5th grade.

30 minutes a night does sound like way too much for kindergarten but I'd hold off judgement until you see exactly what that means. If it really is that much, you can negotiate with teachers. Often arrangements and compromises can be made if it's disruptive to home life.

Married mom of two, DD 17 and DS 13.
#26 of 33 Old 08-07-2011, 10:42 AM

They said the type of homework will depend on the teacher. The first day of school is tomorrow, so we'll find out when homework starts and what it will be.

#27 of 33 Old 08-07-2011, 04:55 PM

My youngest will start in February with the new school year...Another poster mentioned their child still cries a lot, and loudly!  This is my boy too *sigh*   He is emotionally so immature, and I don't know how he'll handle it.. and this AFTER not putting him in prep when I techically could have at the start of this year!  I'm really hoping to see some progress with emotional maturity as the year goes on... we did preschool, but when our child care benefit droppedn and the fees rose up to 550 a month for 3 days a week, I couldn't afford that! and we're now doing playgroups etc instead :)  He is excited about going to big boy school though!  He wants to be just like his big brothers... our schools do uniforms here and he's really looking forward to that (he'll say oh I can't wait to have a uniform, a school shirt, and school shorts, and school SHOES and a school hat, and school bag... and jacket! lol he names every single item every single time.. it's adorable)  and he will have his brothers on campus as well in grades 5 & 2.  It's a while off yet for us... but it's still knocking around in the back of my mind

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#28 of 33 Old 07-05-2012, 06:47 PM

My daughter is going to Kindergarten this fall. Right now I feel as if I will not cry, but I know I will ball. I just pray that she doesn't be clingy to me. She's been in Pre-K for a year and is so smart. Any tips from some parents thats been there that might help her to be a big girl??????

Thanks in advance

#29 of 33 Old 07-07-2012, 09:11 PM

Audrea21, my DS started Kindergarten last year. Prior to that, he'd never been on pre-K or even babysat AT ALL. I was a bit worried too about how the first day of Kindergarten would be being that he's very attached to me.

In the months before kindergarten, I made sure to involve him in all the preparations needed. Shopping for clothes, supplies, lunchboxes, etc. I let him choose his own stuff and that got him really excited for kindergarten.

I was fully expecting him to cling to me on that first day and was bracing mysel for a scene. I could not be any more wrong. It was more like a "don't let the door hit you on the way out" kind of scenario. LOL

#30 of 33 Old 07-08-2012, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audrea21 View Post

My daughter is going to Kindergarten this fall. Right now I feel as if I will not cry, but I know I will ball. I just pray that she doesn't be clingy to me. She's been in Pre-K for a year and is so smart. Any tips from some parents thats been there that might help her to be a big girl??????

Thanks in advance

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarriOfOz  -  My youngest will start in February with the new school year...Another poster mentioned their child still cries a lot, and loudly!  This is my boy too *sigh*   He is emotionally so immature, and I don't know how he'll handle it..

My dd was equal parts social butterfly and clingy when she started K. The teacher (and their "fit" with your child) is an important part of how well this all works out smile.gif; of my children and their cousins the two that had the more difficult time in K (no universal pre-k) had the teachers that were the least affectionate/mommy-like. Dd's teacher was the right combination of affection and no-nonsense, for her. Dd did cry a lot in the beginning, not due to leaving me (dh takes them to school anyway) but because she is emotional and is youngish for her grade (June Bday with Sept 1 cut-off); this got better after a couple months. Dd was also the overly affectionate child of the class (her teacher said she has 1 or 2 like this each year) and had to be reminded to keep her hands (and lips) to herself blush.gif.

That your dd has been in pre-k should help overall, though if her day will be longer that may be a big adjustment. My dd had a hard time with the long day and was one of the few that napped through quiet time every day--her teacher brought in a pillow and hello kitty blanket for dd to nap withlove.gif. The degree to which they promote positive peer interaction and intervene in negative interaction is really important too--everything is easier with friends hug2.gif.

The amount of homework for the first month was redonkulous dizzy.gif. There was an alphabet chart, a number chart, days of the week cards, and months of the year cards, that we were supposed to review nightly, nightly reading, plus pages of writing practice with letters and numbers. We didn't review all of the charts/cards every day, and after the first month the writing tapered off.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page