change in life when both kids will be in school for the first time - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-29-2011, 04:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

For the first time, both of my kids will be in school full day in the fall. My dd will be in kindergarden and my ds in second grade. For all of their lives, I've mostly been a SAHM, while also doing some part time music teaching.

This feels like a big transition, and I'm full of mixed emotions. I'm sad to have them gone for so much of the day, but grateful for the break. It's a wonderful public school and they're both very excited to go. I'm going to be teaching only  two mornings a week. 

I was wondering if others could share what their experience was like when this change of life happened for them. I think that it's a good thing, but it's a huge change for me. We won't be having any more kids, so that makes it seem even more significant.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2011, 06:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was surprised by how busy I still was. I didn't even have a part time job. I did start volunteering a lot in the school and became a girl scout leader.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
Old 07-29-2011, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)

With my first, it was exciting, going off to kindie was exciting! With my second, it was just sort of depressing. I dealt with it by taking a part-time position with the school district. It allowed me to use my talents for some good, get a little extra money and still have all the same hours and vacations that the kids did. I help a lot for my full-time working friends which I usually don't mind. I do a lot of volunteer work and I still have time to manage the house and get the kids to all their outside activities (which is substantial).... and spend a little time for myself which I'm not going to feel guilty for (like right now futzing on the computer lol.)

I'll be honest, the most valuable time I've spent at home was when my DD was in middle school. Most kids have good care through elementary whether it's a parent, a quality care facility or a hired caregiver in the home. However, come middle school, lots of kids are left to their own devices afterschool and it's the age they are most likely to get in trouble. I was really happy to be able to be there those years for DD and I plan on continuing to be home when the kids are home until my youngest is through middle school.

I guess what I'm saying is there is still a lot for you to do. Looks like you have a skill that allows you to work part-time. Your kids still need you and you'll be surprised at how much pops-up to fill your time!

Married mom of two, DD 17 and DS 13.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:41 AM

I am in the same boat.  We are doing school for the first time.  I will have 2 in kindergarten, 1 in 1st grade and 1 in second grade.  My twins are only doing half day kindy but it is still a huge transition for us.  I only work 1 day a week (occasionally 2) so the free time will be a new experience.  I am looking forward to that part of it.  3 of my kids are really excited.  1 is really anxious but still wants to try.  Homeschooling is still an option for us if we ever need it.

mama to Joshua (9), Lily (8), Jude (6) and Ava (6)

Old 07-30-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chel View Post

I was surprised by how busy I still was. I didn't even have a part time job. I did start volunteering a lot in the school and became a girl scout leader.

Me too! My youngest is going into second grade, he has been going full day since kindergarten. When he started kindergarten, I was convinced I would have a ton of time to work out, declutter the house, get all my work done during the day instead of at night (I work part from home), etc.

I ended up becoming PTO secretary and that did take up a lot of time. I did usually get most of my work done and managed to work out on the days I went to swim class at 5:45 am. But not much house decluttering went on! I continued on as PTO secretary the next year too. Plus then my oldest started jr high and got out an hour earlier. So I had to wrap things up earlier on the days I picked her up from school. 

But now this year, I am no longer a PTO officer, just helping with organizing book fair. My jr high DD is getting a ride home from school. So this will be the year that I get the house completely decluttered!! Hey, I can always dream! biglaugh.gif

Old 07-31-2011, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Another who found that having full-time students in the house actually increased my busy schedule. Aside from working part-time, I volunteered at two schools. I not only helped out in their classrooms, but also for the school itself with fundraising events and organizing extra-curricular activities.   

With your music skills, you may find yourself in demand for helping with choirs or bands, organizing school concerts, or possibly even some instruction in the classrooms. You may see more of your children while they are in school than you expect. 

Old 07-31-2011, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindberg99 View Post

But now this year, I am no longer a PTO officer, just helping with organizing book fair. My jr high DD is getting a ride home from school. So this will be the year that I get the house completely decluttered!! Hey, I can always dream! biglaugh.gif

We used to homeschool, so the first year that both my kids were in school they were 11 and 12, but one has some special needs and the year ended up being intense and unexpectedly difficult. So the next year we both moved and changed schools, which was better but still intense in it's own way. This will be my 3rd year of both kids in school, and....

This will be the year I get my act together!!! I will clean all the closets! I will organize under the sinks! I will send Christmas cards out early! I will exercise and mediate! I will eat a salad every single day! All meals will be cooked from scratch and be perfectly balanced and healthy!

(of course, I'm doing volunteer work and got a part time job, so may be not)

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

Old 07-31-2011, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm both excited and sad to be in the position of sahm, with a 4th grader and a kindergartener this year.  I'm PTA president so that will keep me busy and I have a friend that I might partner with on a business adventure.  But the first few weeks, I'm going to do only things that I want to do during the day while they are gone.   :)

Old 08-03-2011, 05:50 PM

I also have a 4th grader and now a kindy this year. I have BtDT on being the president of PTA etc so I know I wont be doing that! I still run the bookfair twice a year though.

I am exploring going back to work. Mainly because I want to. I have been home for almost 10 years and I enjoyed being a sah parent so so much, but I am starting to miss the working I used to do. Esp since my kids dont need me the same way they used to. But since I have an older one, I am well aware of the different busy ness it requires. Thankfully I have a strong support system of good  friends and other parents- we all depend on each other.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
Old 08-06-2011, 06:45 AM

So glad to find this thread lol

My kids both started school last week. Kindergarten and 4th grade. We had homeschooled the last two years, and everyone needed a change. The little one was asking to go to school, so we obliged lol. I figure, if they hate it, we can always go back to homeschooling.

I have high hopes for myself this year. I plan to add some things to my 'everyday' routine. I have a cleaning schedule that I started working through about 6 weeks ago, and I really like how quickly my house gets back in shape if I take a day or two off for being busy, or whatever. I really hope to make a major dent in the rest of our clutter issues.

I also plan to start taking guitar lessons here in the next month, but I am waiting on some payments from clients before I go make that happen. And then there is the "I'm going to work out every day" thing... we'll see. It's still way too hot right now.

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 

User Tag List