DD is complaining her class is too loud - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-07-2011, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

School started on Aug. 3rd and my 2 dd's just started at a new school. DD#1 just turned 8 and is complaining that her class is too loud (kids talking too much). This complaint isn't really new for her, she used to complain at times in younger grades too. She's definitely sensitive when it comes to noise. If I raise my voice she thinks I'm yelling and she's complained in the past about her teacher who yells sometimes which I know is probably just her teacher raising her voice to get the class' attention. She also doesn't like background noise and complains when she's trying to read and her younger sister is talking.

The school she just started at is what's called Outward Bound Expeditionary and I think it will be very good for her. She hasn't had a very good educational experience up until now due to her struggles with what I suspect is dyslexia and her previous school not being a good match for her learning style and interests. So with only 3 days into the new school year I'm kinda bummed that she is upset about her class being too loud. Her words exactly "it's too hard" and when I asked her what was too hard she said b/c the kids are loud. I thought maybe she was trying to concentrate on something and the kids are talking too much and she said no, that they aren't doing any work yet. It's just too loud and on Friday she got a headache. I asked her if she talked to her teacher about it and she said no and that "she (the teacher) is trying to control the class, I know she's really trying". 

Should I mention this to the teacher? Or should I give it more time for the class to get settled and into a rhythm? We are new at this school and I don't want to start complaining about something only 3 days into the new year, kwim? But this is really bothering my dd. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2011, 08:34 AM

Has she seen an OT for this? Some OTs do a listening therapy to help reduce one's sensitivity to sounds.

Some possible immediate fixes are the spongy ear plugs you can find in the pharmacy section or ear muffs like these:

Peltor Kid Ear muff - Great Child Earmuffs

If it is a public school you can submit a written request to be tested for learning disabilities; though I don't think dyslexia is a term schools use. You could also look for a clinic like this that would also evaluate for sensory issues as well as learning issues.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
Old 08-09-2011, 10:02 AM

It may be worth it to mention you DC's sensitivity to noise because the teacher may be able to seat her in an area of the room where it might be less noisy.  My thought is that she could be at the edge of the seating arrangement rather than in the middle (I of course don't know where she is currently sitting), but that it would be easy for the teacher to arrange something like that.  It might also be helpful for you DC to sit close to where the teacher usually stands.  I don't know it any of this will help, but it would be good for the teacher to be aware so she can help your child adjust.

Partner  partners.gif(10 years) Mother to Lily hearts.gif (4 years), Jonas babyboy.gif (1.5 years),  1 dog , and 1 cat 

Old 08-09-2011, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I second an OT evaluation -- if she has sensory issues, and is hypersentivie to sound, it might take some therapy to overcome it. My son has sensory processing disorder and therapy helped him a ton. It also helped his learning and planning skills -- partly because he was no longer so distracted by stimuli and partly because they worked on motor planning.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)

User Tag List